No announcement yet.

All EBAY/PayPal related posts here please too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sold a few things that belonged to my mum - stuff my step dad doesn't need and can give him some money

Also sold some of my own stuff and had a sealed Mario odyssey which had the tiniest of tears on the seal and had to take it back from a guy who said it wasn't sealed - eBay has turned into a joke

But in the flip side I got my wee girl the diamond edition extras for SNK heroines, everything sealed in its big box for £20 which was a steal

Comment

Got an email saying eBay won't be using PayPal for paying sellers. It now needs to go directly into your bank account.

I don't like this.

I used to have a system: PayPal was my fun money. If I wanted more I'd need to sell stuff to top up the fun money.

Now it's going into the money bucket that pays my bills. Is it fun money? Should I make a point of transferring it out of the money bucket into fun money?

What other problems could this bring about?

I don't like it!

Comment

Consider merging the two and introducing a fun bucket?

Comment

I laughed.

This feels like some money making scheme they're doing to get around tax laws or something. It's not to benefit sellers or buyers.

What I dislike is that they say in "2 to 3" working days they will initiate payment into your bank. This means I need to sell an item, wait a while, and keep logging into my bank to see if and when money has gone in. And what if I sell 10 items at £10 each? How do I know whose money went through? Which item?

Also I hate double authentication with banks. Logging in is such a pain I try to avoid it at all costs.

This whole situation is bad.

Comment

Agree about logging in now to places like that - a complete pain.

Comment

I keep getting pestered to set up this new eBay payment thing and i keep ignoring it, The emails keep getting more and more desperate sounding too. I wonder how many customers they will lose by asking them to link their bank accounts directly to eBay? , it really dose feel like someone at head office ran the numbers on how much PayPal was costing them in fees and did a one to one conversion to other payment methods without taking into account customer fall off.

Comment

I haven't bothered yet, although by the looks of it I'll have to by the end of May if I want to sell anything beyond that date.

Makes me laugh that one of their selling points for this switch is 'no more Paypal fees', except (unless I'm mistaken) they now take more off you in final selling fees to offset that (12%, plus 30p). Sell an item for £50, pay £6.30 in fees, then your postage costs on top - make less than £40! Amazing!

Edit: I was slightly wrong, it's 12.8% plus a 30p 'order fee'.
                Last edited by Hohum; 05-05-2021, 17:22.

Comment

I've been using the new payment thing. They take the fees and such up front, which I kinda prefer. Main irk is that it takes a few days until you have access to it.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                    I've been using the new payment thing. They take the fees and such up front, which I kinda prefer. Main irk is that it takes a few days until you have access to it.
                    Same I do prefer the upfront fees instead of a chunk coming out, but my funds took 4 days to clear and be available which was redic. Wish I hadn't done it now tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                      I wonder how many customers they will lose by asking them to link their bank accounts directly to eBay?
                      Me.

PayPal is easy and convenient and lets me buy using funds from things I've sold. Plus I can transfer the money immediately to cover fees and postage costs. I haven't looked into it, but does this mean they will stop using PayPal as a way to pay?

Comment

I just wait until they have the offers on like the sell for a quid, currently though they seem to have changed it to eighty percent off fees.

Comment

Yeah I noticed that too... Selling for a quid was decent but this isn't as good.

Comment

My eBay account is 20 years old this month, but I’m most likely going to close it come the 31st. I don’t like the changes being enforced. I like having my PayPal account as a ‘spending pot’ from eBay sales. The details required by eBay for their new user agreement are too invasive. This just all stinks of eBay abusing their monopoly on web-based auctions.

Comment

All because eBay and PayPal were told they had to split iirc. So eBay sold PayPal and have set up their own payment management that you have to use instead for receiving payments. I haven't actually been asked to move yet, not sure why, maybe because I registered on eBay.com before there was a co.uk equivalent. But I'll just link the Paypal specific bank account I created to eBay as well if this happens to me. They ain't going anywhere near my proper account heh.
                              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

As far I know they don't take money out of your account, for my last sale they skimmed off their cut then paid mine straight in very quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                X