No announcement yet.

Virtual Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I kind of see it as a hallmark that PSVR is going to come to a slower end as well. Whilst it's done reasonably well it's hard to imagine it's made that much for Sony given the costs of R&D and manufacturing the thing likely requires. PS5 would realistically need years of userbase building like PS4 had to warrant another attempt and whilst they may opt to do that it would potentially require a much bigger investment from them as so much of PSVR's content comes from PC roots where if companies like Oculus start shutting down on dedicating resources to advancing the tech you're going to see software development begin to dry up meaning PSVR2 would have less to lean on.

Whilst PSVR remains easily one of the most distinct and memorable current gen experiences there's been, I personally just can't see a world where Sony can justify a second attempt at VR but not a third attempt at a handheld unless you really, really believe companies are going to go all out on VR next gen still.

Comment

Just seen on the Oculus store, a trailer for Lone Echo 2. Nice surprise that. First one was excellent.

Comment

I downloaded that but haven’t had a chance to take a gander yet.

Comment

The new headset uses Insight and Passthrough+ technology to iterate on the existing Rift hardware, and it's coming this spring.

That other future for gaming got an update last night as Oculus revealed two new units. Not sure if we've reached the point where VR has drifted into news footnotes on most sites though as noise is very low on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/7447...vealed+at+GDC/

That other future for gaming got an update last night as Oculus revealed two new units. Not sure if we've reached the point where VR has drifted into news footnotes on most sites though as noise is very low on this one.
            I think people ignore Facebooculus Rift who don't already have one

Comment

BUMP

Did anyone get a Quest or a Go?

Comment

Been interesting reading lately on VR options in the run up to Half Life Alyx's release given how Index sales have boomed and Oculus have struggled to get enough Quest's onto the market. Mostly because despite the current drive in demand there's one option that seems to have utterly failed to capitilise on what might possibly be the last real consumer push for VR for a couple of years - HTC Vive

It was surprising to read that the Cosmos is the latest release and yet it's the one that's failed to sell, it's user share is falling on Steam and despite demand for Alyx no-one's biting on the main available option remaining. I read up on it and it's almost staggering as to how poorly judged HTC have been with it, weighing in at £300 more than its nearest rival, having 50% worse resell value whilst arguable providing an inferior experience due to the low light recognition issues. That and it's not even a side product, it's their main mass model and they haven't even reacted. For a sector of the market where sales figures aren't large to begin with it raises the question of what exactly HTC's game plan is because they've missed the biggest window they will have for a long while and if they lose too much footing it could be arguable that HTC won't have much room to exist alongside Oculus.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                  Been interesting reading lately on VR options in the run up to Half Life Alyx's release given how Index sales have boomed and Oculus have struggled to get enough Quest's onto the market. Mostly because despite the current drive in demand there's one option that seems to have utterly failed to capitilise on what might possibly be the last real consumer push for VR for a couple of years - HTC Vive
                  Where've you seen this?

Over Christmas the Quest was often in the top sellers charts on Amazon, even above the Switch*.

*it should be noted that the Switch's sales are divided up between the 20 or so SKUs of the machine, so this doesn't mean it was outselling the Switch, but it was definitely "up there" on peoples Xmas present lists.

Comment

It's sold out in most retailers and apparently most of the US as a whole now. BTW I definitely don't mean them struggling in terms of it being a negative for Oculus, just that Alyx has definitely caused a surge in PC VR sales and Quest has seen demand outstrip supply because its easily the best in terms of price point and value as a means to play the game. It's clear that PC VR sales have been low and steady for a long time and Alyx really caught them off guard.

Comment

This would be insane to try:

Comment

Facebook has revealed the Oculus Quest 2 headset seemingly ahead of an official announcement planned for this week.A co…

Facebook have revealed Oculus Quest 2

Today at 12:43 PM

Facebook reveals Oculus Quest 2

VR ready.

Facebook has revealed the Oculus Quest 2 headset seemingly ahead of an official announcement planned for this week.

A couple of videos popped up on the Facebook Blueprint website showing off the next all-in-one VR system. Some of the information has been taken down, but some remains - and of course the videos were ripped and published to YouTube.

We have specifications but not release date or price. Here's a list of what's inside:
                        • Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2 processor
                        • 6GB RAM
                        • Nearly 2K resolution per eye - over 50 per cent more pixels than Quest 1
                        • 3D positional audio
                        • New controller ergonomics
                        • Optional 256GB of built-in storage

Also of note, all Quest games work on Quest 2, and there's a new softtouch strap to make the headset easier to slip on and off. The Quest 2 is smaller and lighter than its predecessor.

Expect more on the Oculus Quest 2 when the announcement is made proper, probably at the Facebook Connect developer conference on Wednesday, 16th September.
                        I read yesterday that it was speculated to cost $299.99

Comment

Yep, seems more of an update. Lighter, better ergonomics - and also, looking at it, the headset isn't covered in cloth (seriously bizarre decision on the last one).

Comment

Looks like a fairly significant update to me, that resolution is on par with the HP Reverb 2 (higher than Valve Index) , 2GB more RAM, beefier processor, less weight (desperately needs to be better balanced as it's very front heavy), positional audio.

No mention of refresh rate, but the XR2 platform is capable of 3K*3K per eye @ 90Hz, so it should be coming in at a minimum of 90Hz

If they price that at $299, I'd upgrade mine day 1.

Comment

Seems like a decent evolution of an already great product. Still pretty expensive but they're definitely steering to fix some of the obvious limitations ...

Comment

Shame it’s Facebook but I really like my rift s. they do make good kit that’s for sure, especially now I managed to remove the constant “this pc doesn’t meet minimum spec” message.

Comment

Working...
                                X