Killzone Mercenary (PS Vita) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killzone Mercenary (PS Vita) review

I have had a short time to try out the game and here are my initial impressions:

- It's a big download! Around 4.6gb is a lot of data for a mobile game
    - The presentation is incredible. Proper AAA style menus and cutscenes
    - It looks JAW DROPPINGLY incredible. I am a big fan of mobile gaming, I have the latest iPad and also an Ouya with Tegra 3. Nothing, and I mean nothing comes even close to this game. It has lighting and post processing effects that even out perform a good number of PS3 games. Incredibly it even looks like it might be running native res! (I find it hard to believe, but check my screens, it looks that way!)
    - The controls work great! Touch screen is actually implemented in a helpful way (Melee and quick weapon changes) no fancy tricks. The Twin sticks work very well indeed
    - It plays like a proper console game! Sounds daft, but after a short play session it became imediatly apparent that this was very special indeed. (For a KZ fan like me.)

If I didn't have a PSVita and I was shown this game, I would immediatly without a second thought buy the console to play it. Simple as that.

I'll be spending the evening on it, so more impressions after that. The big question will be: Does the gameplay match the incredible visual first imopressions? (Mixed reviews about that...)

0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Have you played many levels yet CS, are they long like the home versions would be? It looks incredible.

Comment

How does it compare to Killzone 2?
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

The biggest complaint in the low scoring reviews seems to be that it's just like all the current home FPS games and offers nothing new. FFS wasn't that the whole point, that we wanted something on a par with what we're used to? I'll be forming my own opinion anyway, I've never trusted games reviewers. The one point from those reviews that I will agree is disappointing though is that the campaign only seems to be four hours, I wanted double that.

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo View Post
          The biggest complaint in the low scoring reviews seems to be that it's just like all the current home FPS games and offers nothing new. FFS wasn't that the whole point, that we wanted something on a par with what we're used to? I'll be forming my own opinion anyway, I've never trusted games reviewers. The one point from those reviews that I will agree is disappointing though is that the campaign only seems to be four hours, I wanted double that.

Exactly! My biggest hope was a good solid FPS (i.e 8/10 and above) that was comparable to a home console. I respect reviewers who have focus on the game itself, but as a customer I have been eagerly awaiting the day I could play an FPS on mobile that has the same control mechanics as a PS3/360. Initial (only played 30 minutes) impression is that they have cracked it!

As per screen shots the first level is very bright and colourful and if anything reminds me of the PS4 game more than KZ2. Aiming and control reminds me of KZ3, as it's less slugish than KZ2.

It really does look incredible, and an amazing looking FPS that has a solid campaign should be a god send to Vita owners. I am also not ashamed to say that if a game ticks "My boxes" then a 7/8 can provide me personally a huge amount of enjoyment. But reviews do tend to show it's play dymanics are a bit too by the numbers. We will see! My first taste tells me sod the critics, this one's for me!

More detailed impressions tonight!
          Last edited by capcom_suicide; 04-09-2013, 10:39.

Comment

I found 3 to be more sluggish compared to 2 myself. They messed with the physics too much in 3, and it was the worse game for it. I might give this a try once the JPN version comes out.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
              I found 3 to be more sluggish compared to 2 myself. They messed with the physics too much in 3, and it was the worse game for it. I might give this a try once the JPN version comes out.
              My impression (Also from 10+ hours on the beta) is that it's actually faster than both KZ2 and3. If that's good or not is very personal I suppose. You might say it's become more arcadey now, and that it loses some of the "Weight" of KZ2. Aiming on small sticks and on a lower res screen is never going to match a home console though. For me I have been so keen on getting the "Home experience on mobile" that this is par for the course. I'd prefer best efforts FPS on my Vita, rather than an IOS style mobile touch controls experience. This is totally at odds with amongst others Edge, but I can't help my own desire for FPS on the move!

Comment

"Weight" is the perfect word for KZ2's aiming. It "felt" like you were actually holding a gun. I'll continue to read your impressions, and see if you cannot sway me to have a big box of Sony goods sent over.
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I now completed level one. It was 54 minutes. Gob smacking fan bloody tastic! I have read quite a few reviews today, and honestly, it's like they are playing a different game to me.

You are really rewarded for searching. There are multiple routes and ways to tackle the level (It seems like it's been built for re-playability?) It has verticality that allows you to get the jump on the helgast, it has "Go loud" or "Go quiet" options. It has in the first level already two set pieces, a sub level boss, end level boss and truely unbelivable visuals.

The controls (75% sensitivity) are superb, there are hidden secrets, the AI seems good to me. They dive, take cover, storm, change routes and generally put up a good fight. It reminds me of many different games, Deus Ex, Mass Effect 2 (Artistically and the grain filter), some strange retro vibe too (Can't put my finger on it.)

Anyway, if you like FPS games and have a Vita then I can't possibly think of any reason not to own this game.

If the remaining levels provide as much fun as level 1, then this is a big big deal for PS Vita. That's even before I start on the MP!!!

It's been ages since I've played a game on a handheld and my jaw is just open with amazement for what they pulled off. How the hell the devs have raised the bar like this is just beyond me. I know the future is facebook games and angry birds, and I also know that the respected journos like Edge would argue that cut down FPS on mobile is not what we want, but for me I just had an hour whilst my kid had her childrens TV time and I got to enjoy my hobby with a massive smile on my face.

I hope missions 2 and onwards keep this level of quality. I'm quite blown away! Perhaps the weaker parts are to come.

Comment

I had to read NeoGaf to find out what the retro vibe was that I was getting. GOLDENEYE of course!

A chap over there who is far more articulate than me said:

It is indeed short, probably 3 - 4 hours to complete nine missions. Those who like to run and gun with little interest in collecting intel or exploring the levels will lean closer to 3 hours.

Those who like to explore and wish to make the most of the game and its presented challenges will get a lot more out of the campaign, as not only is there intel to find and acquire (some of which requires stealth interrogations of high ranking enemies, which means you'll need to silently isolate them), but every stage also has three optional challenge modes that present you with a set of completion criteria. For example making your way through stealthily with X weapon while collecting Y intel, or getting X kills with Y weapon and performing several triple kills. The themed challenges spice up the campaign kind of like GoldenEye's extra objectives.

If you're a hit-and-quit style player who won't stick around for replays, the campaign has less value.

So my style of play (54 minutes level 1, only managed one of the challenges) means that I am in for a good 6-9 hours of gameplay. The thing that reminded me of GE was the way the first level introduces you to taking things on in different styles and level of difficulty. So you can pick and choose how many bonus objectives to take.

Now.... kids to bed soon and time for more games!

Comment

Since I've never had a PS3, what would it be like for me coming into the franchise from the cold?

Comment

Great write up CS, roll on Friday!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo View Post
                          Great write up CS, roll on Friday!!!!
                          Indeed. Reading those impressions has got me super excited about playing the SP on this!!

Comment

Well that's the second mission done. 50 minutes and quite a different style of gameplay. You really have to mix up the loadout during the mission to get the best effect. The game uses the well trodden choke point system occasionally and they have nailed the difficulty on normal. You have to work hard on your position as staying in one spot will get you nailed. The stealth aspect is very fun, so once I master the game I can see me replaying this a lot. Visually it just seems to get better and better. It seems the promise of a ps3 level fps on vita has finally been delivered. The devs must have put a good deal of love into this game, both level design and visually. I really enjoy an fps that has me thinking "ooh I can redo it another way" all the time. For some odd reason I'm also getting some R6vegas vibes. In terms of needing to have played killzone before, totally not a problem, this is a standalone game in many respects.

The thing that has surprised me most so far is the different way you can tackle levels and the scope for finding hidden rooms.

Really chuffed to be able to use the vita like this. I hope others enjoy it too, as clearly many of the reviewers have branded it as quite an average game, so I also am interested to see if others enjoy it too!

Comment

You're killing me here man..........

Comment

Working...
                              X