No announcement yet.

Netflix Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha, I was just popping in to post the same news, Supes!

There's no mention of Superior, though, which I really enjoyed:
    "However, conspicuous in its absence is Superior, which was touted in 2016 as a prospective film adaptation (over at 20th Century Fox), and even made waves when Millar stated that he’d like to see WWE megastar and surging actor John Cena play the title role."

Also, Nemesis doesn't have a mention. There are some great action scenes in this anti-Batman story, but it was a little too dark to be fun, for me, particularly the part where Nemesis taunts the cop chasing him (Morrow) by revealing all his families' secrets and then kidnaps his children, only to release them but he has artificially inseminated Morrow's daughter with the son's sperm, with her womb rigged to collapse if an abortion is attempted. Hmmm...

Comment

Trailer for Disenchanted:

Comment

I've only just noticed they took down all the Canon Films.

I wanted to watch the first American Ninja and Invasion USA. Damn. They were on like a year ago?

I also discovered Community has been taken down.

Officially no longer interested in streaming. I might as well go back to hard copies of everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          Yeah, you tell ‘em. They’re ruining that cartoon you never watched and was never for you by not having it sexy enough for middle aged men.
          Fun fact: I did quite enjoy the She-ra cartoon as a kid, and more recently again with my own children. I remember queuing up in the old Odeon to see The Secret of the Sword movie when I was little. I used to watch Maxie’s World too...

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
            Fun fact: I did quite enjoy the She-ra cartoon as a kid, and more recently again with my own children
            In that case, I retract my statement/snarky comment.

I tried to get my kids into He-Man and She-Ra recently and they were having none of it. I don't think I ever watched Maxie's World but I loved Jem and the Holograms.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
              First images from Netflix reboot of She-Ra:

I really like the art for this actually. Those clean, narrow outlines...it reminds me of Don Bligh, but with a smack of anime influence around the eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                I've only just noticed they took down all the Canon Films.

I wanted to watch the first American Ninja and Invasion USA. Damn. They were on like a year ago?

I also discovered Community has been taken down.

Officially no longer interested in streaming. I might as well go back to hard copies of everything.
                You've been away from Netflix for a while, Community has been on Amazon Prime Video for a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                  I used to watch Maxie’s World too...
                  I don't think I ever watched Maxie's World
                  That show is the shared Mandela Effect thing for @Blobcat and I. We would've sworn it was called Maxine's World, until a few years ago we did a Saturday Morning Cartoon morning and were surprised to see both of us had remembered this incorrectly.

Yeah, you tell ‘em. They’re ruining that cartoon you never watched and was never for you by not having it sexy enough for middle aged men.
                  straight for the throat, Dogg Thang?

In seriousness, I am a bit surprised at it myself. I think there are quite a few "masculine" female heroes doing the rounds, which is great, as it gives tomboyish girls a figure they can look up to, and I'm of the mindset that diverse representation in media is quite important. That being said, I think having heroes with overtly "feminine" traits is important too, because some kids want a hero like that. I would've thought a She-Ra reboot would've been a chance for the creators to cash in on a Disney-princess-esque super-hero, because she's the princess of power.

That being said, it's not like the show is aimed at me, so if they want to take the character in that direction, good luck to them. The art itself looks pretty good; definitely getting a Samurai Jack feel from that environment painting.
                  Last edited by Asura; 23-07-2018, 19:04.

Comment

I don’t know if I’m seeing the design as tomboyish as you. She looks young and I think that’s the core difference. But she has really long flowing golden hair, a skirt and very decorative accessories. That doesn’t say tomboyish to me unless she is being defined solely by the shorts. The design is very feminine in many of those pics. But I do think it’s not overtly sexy in an adult way and I would suspect that’s what some people are missing in the design when they mourn for the original they never watched because it was too girly (except for me and SD, obvs).

But I also suspect given Princess is now Princesses that we may see even more characters of varying designs. I’m curious to see how it all moves.

Comment

I don’t know if I’m seeing the design as tomboyish as you. She looks young and I think that’s the core difference.
                      Yeah; that's true. She looks a lot younger, which makes sense for the target audience; also in terms of whether the character is sexy, a modern piece of art drawn to show off her buttcrack is probably not the image to consider when judging that

I watched the original as a kid. It was on just after He-Man and let's face it, it was the same show.

Also they're doing multiple princesses this time? Makes sense, because then they can have their cake, so to speak - that way you can have a multiplicity of characters who cover a range of archetypes, like Sailor Moon or My Little Pony. Then all the kids can see themselves in at least one of the characters.

Comment

Yeah, that’s what I suspect the intention is but I haven’t seen anything beyond the images above. Wondering if Hordak will be in it.

And yes, it was pretty much just He-Man back in the day. And rewatching He-Man here trying to get the kids into it hasn’t shown it to have aged all that well as a show except that I still love the designs, as ridiculous as they are. In fact some of the more ridiculous ones are the best ones. I totally love the He-Man characters.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                          You've been away from Netflix for a while, Community has been on Amazon Prime Video for a while now.
                          Not away, I just didn't think to watch it in a long while.

Comment

I always think of the same thing when I think of She Ra

Comment

Nice to be able to watch Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee on something other than my iPad. Always a funny, feel good watch ... not even the newly shoehorned Lavazza product placement can spoil the fun.

Comment

Yeah, it's so weird. In the previous ones, they'd film the actual place making the coffee. Now they just show the same Lavazza recording each episode.

Just watched the Tracy Morgan episode. It was hilarious!

Comment

Working...
                                X