Netflix Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
    Enjoy it before it takes a big sliding dump a few episodes later. Soz.
    I think it already did

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
    Bandersnatch is a masterpiece.
    Yes it is. Thoroughly enjoyed it last night

Comment

Just finished High score Girl.

Amazing from start to finish. I expect most of us here will associate themselves with a lot of the feelings the main character has on gaming as he grows up.

Comment

I thought When They See Us was brilliant. It's a 4 (long) episode mini-series based on the Central Park Five rape case from 1989. Last ep was a proper emotional slugger. Really powerful stuff and very well made.

Comment

This could be in this, the manga or TV thread, but I've gone for here.

Neon Genesis Evangelion.
          Seems like this is a big deal and a lot of people are talking about it, which is ace.
          Some lazy writers are saying there were no "adult" anime series before Evangelion, but they're oafs.

I always struggled with Shinji (the protagonist) being a whiner and not actually wanting to pilot his giant mech - what the hell's wrong with him?!

Well, I read this interesting article and I've given him a much bigger break this time:

"The now infamous “get in the ****ing robot” meme was born out of this exact frustration. Throughout the entirety of Neon Genesis Evangelion Shinji expresses his dislike of piloting the Evangelion, going so far as to run away on multiple occasions. The very first time Shinji is asked to pilot an Evangelion, in episode one “Angel Attack”, it takes the insistence of everyone around him to get him to do it. His father looks down on him from above while Misato and Ritsuko cage him in on either side verbally bullying him. They even bring out a physically hurt Rei, all in the effort to get him to do the one thing he least wants to do. When he finally does agree to pilot the Evangelion, it is not a moment of triumph for Shinji, but rather defeat. “Fine, I’ll do it”, he concedes. It’s about as far from heroic as a scene can feel.

Time and again, Shinji is asked to get in the Evangelion. Each time he initially refuses only to come around and reluctantly agree when he is reminded that people care about him when he is piloting. Shinji himself notes this in the first episode, saying that he knew his father only got in contact because he needed something from him. Difficult relationships with parents are not anomalous to anime. What is anomalous is that Shinji pilots the Evangelion even though doing so reminds him that his father doesn’t actually care about him. Shinji pilots to get closer to his father — even though it hurts him, physically and emotionally. That Shinji only pilots for others, and not out of a sense of duty or self-worth, is a character flaw in the technical sense, but it shouldn’t be seen as a flaw in a critical sense. While Shinji’s difficult relationship with piloting the Evangelion is the root of many people’s frustration with Neon Genesis Evangelion, it is also what makes the series so distinct."

Comment

I've never seen it but just in the last 24 hours I've seen three tweets from separate people saying how amazing the show is and how they didn't understand it and had to look up what was going on. So now I'm imagining that it's Twin Peaks with robots.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              I've never seen it but just in the last 24 hours I've seen three tweets from separate people saying how amazing the show is and how they didn't understand it and had to look up what was going on. So now I'm imagining that it's Twin Peaks with robots.
              I don't think you'll walk away as exhilarated at watching mechs fighting monsters should make you feel, but it does leave you having given your brain a workout too. I don't want to tell you it's a must-watch and then be disappointed. I'm still sad that you won't watch (all of) The Truman Show, which is the Doggiest Dogg Thang film ever.

It's also pretty scarce on some details.
              Why are the monsters attacking Tokyo specifically? Maybe it's because the MacGuffin [REDACTED] is in Tokyo? No, it gets moved there later in the series.
              Where do they come from? Are they aliens? Are they man-made?

Hey! Just shuddup and watch this teenager have an existential crisis every time he's cajoled into piloting his giant robot, will ya?

Comment

I seem to recall it being fairy straightforwards with lots of mystery and possible longwinded sci-fi craziness.

Then it just goes all weird and quasi religious. Very Japanese

I think I even watched the movies that were made afterwards that were meant to resolve the incomprehensible nonsense that happens nearer to end. But they don’t

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                  I seem to recall it being fairy straightforwards with lots of mystery and possible longwinded sci-fi craziness.

Then it just goes all weird and quasi religious. Very Japanese

I think I even watched the movies that were made afterwards that were meant to resolve the incomprehensible nonsense that happens nearer to end. But they don’t
                  I made a massive post about how confusing the whole thing is, Boris.
                  I saw the series is on Netflix, but they also have some other films, The End of Evangelion and Evangelion: Death (True)2 (aka Death and Rebirth).

Death is essentially a 67-minute clip show, recapping the series. Rebirth consists of 27 minutes of new story.

Death & Rebirth was re-edited for Japanese television, titled Evangelion: Death(True).
                  A slightly altered version of Death(True), which restored a few shots cut from Death & Rebirth, was combined with The End of Evangelion to create Revival of Evangelion.

The version of Death(True) used for Revival is what will appear on Netflix as Evangelion: Death(True)2.

Bloomin' 'eck!

Comment

I remember watching a random episode of it on the Sci Fi channel when I was a kid. I was like, oh, cool, a cartoon like Pokemon and Digimon!

Giant robots OK cool yep.

Yep. Some people talking.

And talking.

And talking.

More talking.

Not sure what they're talking about don't really understand it.

OK what else is on?

I'd actually like to properly watch it now I'm not 7 years old.

Comment

I mean, dropping in at some random point is never going to help, [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION], but a series as complex as this is never going to be dipped into.

Even when you get to the end, you're still not sure what's going on.
                      Even with the remade episodes, you're still not sure what's going on.
                      Even with the recap movie, you're still not sure what's going on.
                      Even with the alternate ending, you're still not sure what's going on.

In my experience!

Comment

Evangelion starts well, gets silly, then the studio ran out of money at the end.

In that, it's actually finished after episode 24. That's it. Story done. TV Tokyo were having none of it and told Gainax they were contracted to 26 episodes. Hilarity ensues.

Comment

Ohhh... interesting. It can't possibly end worse than the Starship Troopers animated series which was building to a big climax and then, a few episodes to the end, also ran out of money and so instead of finishing the story they cobbled together a few clips episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            Even when you get to the end, you're still not sure what's going on.
                            Even with the remade episodes, you're still not sure what's going on.
                            Even with the recap movie, you're still not sure what's going on.
                            Even with the alternate ending, you're still not sure what's going on.

In my experience!
                            Yeah, so I finished off the series and films and alternate end of Evangelion last night and it's still not very clear.

I did watch an explanation video afterwards that helped patch things together.

I love that it's not straight forward, to be honest.
                            I'm raised on a diet of logical narratives and although there's a part of me that wishes the end was Shinji facing his demons, getting in his mech and taking down a tangible big bad, I'm also happy that something as bonkers as this exists.

Comment

So I started Stranger Things season 3, having loved S1 and S2, and... It's total steaming garbage?

All the characters behave weirdly and totally out of character from before. 40% of the episodes in and nothing has happened - it's painfully slow, compared to before where each episode was lightning fast and gripping. I can't even say the story arc is dull, because nothing has happened apart from: teen angst, something something Russians, sick mice.

The script is anaemic. In previous seasons the first episode would have contained as much content as the first half of season 3. Everyone is now an arsehole. I don't care for any of these people because they don't feel anything like the people I've seen previously.

Also, what is up with the make up department? The town mayor and the whole of the newspaper staff appear as if their faces and hair are made out of wax. It's... Creepy. Like they're going for a Max headroom vibe? That's my only conclusion.

Season 3 is like some really terrible juvenile fan fiction written around the original Stranger Things. Utter tosh.
                              Last edited by Sketcz; 07-07-2019, 12:51.

Comment

I was thinking similar. My son thinks it's the best one though.

Comment

Working...
                                X