No announcement yet.

Best Modern Platformers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Cave Story or Spelunky yet? Or are those too Metroidvania too?

Comment

How is world of goo in any shape or form a platformer?
      Last edited by EvilBoris; 10-09-2013, 19:29.

Comment

Stroll forth, Boris, where do you keep finding those lunatic avatars?!?!

Comment

I don't know! It's been ages since I played it! I suppose it's more of a puzzler, although I do remember it being described as a kind of platformer in N-Gamer.

Comment

I guess you get to make platforms

Comment

lol.

Anyway,
              N+: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-gb/Pr...5-d8025841085c
              Super Meat Boy: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Pr...5-d80258410a5a

These are proper platformers. None of your Super Princess Peach easy finish here.

Comment

We had the game of the generation a few weeks back, didn't we? I found the list a bit dispiriting as there were so few on there I rated/would want to play!

Would people participate in a platformers poll? There are so many amazing games I see coming out, especially indie stuff on PC. We ought maybe to do one by genres or for indie/download-only stuff...

Comment

How could I forget ARKEDO SERIES - 03 PIXEL!?

Great little game. Short, but loads of replay value with useless artifacts to find and puzzles to complete. Well worth the couple of quid it costs.

Comment

I thought about creating a new thread, but then this one popped up in my search results. It's insane the amount of roguelites/metroidvanias that has popped up in the past decade or so, to the point traditional platformers have become a bit of an rarity. I'm enjoying Cyber Shadow these days but it's made me hungry for a true 16-bit Shinobi style game.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulstar View Post
                      I thought about creating a new thread, but then this one popped up in my search results. It's insane the amount of roguelites/metroidvanias that has popped up in the past decade or so, to the point traditional platformers have become a bit of an rarity. I'm enjoying Cyber Shadow these days but it's made me hungry for a true 16-bit Shinobi style game.
                      In truth, when I hear "Roguelike Metroidvania" with indie games my eyes kinda glaze over.

It's fine when someone's done something genuinely amazing with it but it feels very done now.

Comment

Ctrl+F Shovel Knight (no results found) for crying shame but yeah, Shovel Knight.
                        I’d also say anything Wayforward and Initi Creates put out, so the Blaster Master Zero series, Shantae series.
                        I really did post a solid list in 2013 when I had taste, how times have changed.

Comment

Would Huntdown fit the brief?

Comment

n64 style platformers

Super Luckys tale

A hat in time

Yooka laylee (though that is a n64 platformer warts and all)

Comment

I've got a soft spot for Super Lucky's Tale, or New Super Lucky's Tale (though don't ask me what was new about it).

That game is a joy to play, especially on Series X now it's 120fps.

Have always appreciated Rayman Legends as well. Easily one of the best I've played.

Comment

I wish there was a series of 3D platform games that were on par with Mario. Every time I try one it's a disappointment. Crash Bandicoot 4 - man, I was up for it. In at full price. Ready to rumble. And then it was like, oh yeah. Vague hitboxes for enemies. Double jumping (I almost always hate double jumping, because I don't understand the point of it). Confusing depth perception.

It's not a bad game, really. It's just that Mario has some of the best control of any videogame, and really, platformers are all about control.

However - I have not played Astrobot, as I don't have a PSVR. And everyone says that is on par with Mario so I'm very excited to try that when the PSVR2 drops. I did play the pack-in PS5 Astrobot game and enjoyed that very much (although it's still no Mario).

Anyway, I guess my point is, if you want a 3D platform game, play a Mario. Except Sunshine. You're welcome!

Comment

Working...
                                X