Randomised Gaming Retro Videos & Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
    What ever happened to the video I did some voice over for?
    It's still in the works at the moment, as we are still sorting out Sega Saturn content for it. I think there was discussion to split it into two as it ended up being too long in the planing stage and had about 40 games in it. It will be releasing some point this year however, as there are plans a foot to do some big Saturn videos, but I can't say much more at present.

Took a short look at both Myst & Riven on Sega Saturn, decent port for the time that still hold up well, but these days the PC versions win out:

Comment

I was always quite impressed with Riven on the Saturn, even if I didn't have a clue what I was doing

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
        It's still in the works at the moment, as we are still sorting out Sega Saturn content for it. I think there was discussion to split it into two as it ended up being too long in the planing stage and had about 40 games in it. It will be releasing some point this year however, as there are plans a foot to do some big Saturn videos, but I can't say much more at present.

Took a short look at both Myst & Riven on Sega Saturn, decent port for the time that still hold up well, but these days the PC versions win out:

Wow, you guys plan a long time ahead.

Comment

Covering a few more retro titles first off we have R-Type Leo the final Arcade release and another of many games that needs more love:

From one obscure game to another een more obscure one with Swagman, Core Design's games after Tomb Raider seemed to struggle in the market. Rarely gets a mention even here amongst the hardcore gamers.

Finally we have the Saturn version of The Need for Speed, having looked at this video we also noticed what a foul up the Digital Foundry video was. As the dials and music are present in game when play on actually hardware seems DF used emulators for their comparison video.

Comment

Covering a few more retro titles first off we have R-Type Leo the final Arcade release and another of many games that needs more love:

From one obscure game to another een more obscure one with Swagman, Core Design's games after Tomb Raider seemed to struggle in the market. Rarely gets a mention even here amongst the hardcore gamers.

Finally we have the Saturn version of The Need for Speed, having looked at this video we also noticed what a foul up the Digital Foundry video was. As the dials and music are present in game when play on actually hardware seems DF used emulators for their comparison video.

So the great.. John got it wrong and used a emu, there's a surprise *rollseye's* Like I said, any true SEGA fan knew he was wrong (much like with the VF 3 port on DC)
            Last edited by Team Andromeda; 12-02-2019, 15:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
              So the great.. John got it wrong and used a emu, there's a surprise *rollseye's* Like I said, any true SEGA fan knew he was wrong (much like with the VF 3 port on DC)
              Most true Sega fans likely weren't aware either as they hadn't played the game in years, the problem here was a lack of transparency in the DF video. All they had to do was say some footage was captured on emulators, but they didn't. They mention the 3D0 was captured from the real thing and that's about it. I have nothing against DF, but they just need to make it clear when emulators are used in a video and that real consoles may differ.
              Last edited by S3M; 12-02-2019, 15:43.

Comment

Need for Speed has a better frame rate on the Saturn but the 3DO original definitely has a richer colour scheme.

Comment

Yep, I knew he was wrong too as I used o play the Saturn version to death. I can also confirm that in the Japanese Nissan version its impossible to crash the cars. That was one of my highlights of the western version.

Comment

Most true Sega fans likely weren't aware either as they hadn't played the game in years, the problem here was a lack of transparency in the DF video. All they had to do was say some footage was captured on emulators, but they didn't. They mention the 3D0 was captured from the real thing and that's about it. I have nothing against DF, but they just need to make it clear when emulators are used in a video and that real consoles may differ.
                    This SEGA fan did and when I pointed out to him, he said his Saturn copy might have been damaged lol. Mind you Eurogamer as always been Playstation central.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                      Yep, I knew he was wrong too as I used o play the Saturn version to death. I can also confirm that in the Japanese Nissan version its impossible to crash the cars. That was one of my highlights of the western version.
                      Yeah the head to head mode had all the traffic removed in the Japanese version, (so no crashes with oncoming cars) I got a PAL and NTSC/J copy and they have more changes then most would think, worth owning both. Gameplay does feel a touch slower in the Japanese release, but the analogue pad support is so smooth in the Japanese version, where as the PAL version doesn't support it at all.

This SEGA fan did and when I pointed out to him, he said his Saturn copy might have been damaged.
                      Yeah, then he must have had a damaged NTSC/J and NTSC/U copies as he showed both with the same issues, looked like he had a layer turn off on the emulator or just used a broken emulator, naughty, naughty. Eurogamer journalism has been on the slide for some time lots of click bate headline these days. sadly I suspect many news sites are struggling as many web browser, now have ad blockers as standard. The fact viruses can be inject into a PC via an advert these day doesn't help. As everyone ends up using ad blocker as standard, which doesn't help anyone.

One new video on Star Fox up on the channel:

Comment

One new video on Star Fox up on the channel:
                        Such a great game in all areas. I still think it plays well -- and the graphics and sound always grab me. Such a fun experience.

Comment

Yeah, then he must have had a damaged NTSC/J and NTSC/U copies as he showed both with the same issues, looked like he had a layer turn off on the emulator or just used a broken emulator, naughty, naughty. Eurogamer journalism has been on the slide for some time lots of click bate headline these days. sadly I suspect many news sites are struggling as many web browser, now have ad blockers as standard.]

Yeah, I get the impression John doesn't like to be questioned or to be proved wrong.

I remember the UK resistance issues with Eurogamer and its bias for SONY and now sadly some of DF features are clearly pandering to the SONY Generation on the likes of NeoGaf
                          Last edited by Team Andromeda; 27-02-2019, 19:22.

Comment

Yeah, I get the impression John doesn't like to be questioned or to be proved wrong.
                            Yeah, he should be more open in videos if he makes mistakes, they need to be more open to feedback as analysis games is still only a recent thing. Lot of people make mistakes, comments are always a mine field of errors and incorrect statement, but some are people pointing out real mistakes. They need to comment on videos when they have made a mistake with a correct. We've done that on a few of our videos.

With GOG re-releasing Diablo this week, we took a look back at the PS1 port to see how it holds up and if it's worthing buy if you don't own a PC.

Comment

OK so two new videos this week so far one covering Diablo II and the other on Earthworm Jim 2. Interestingly we found out EWJ2 has a hidden interlace mode that makes the game look stunning on high end CRTs.

Comment

Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box action this week and some Dead or Alive 2, still plenty of reasons to own a PS2 in this modern era.

Comment

Working...
                                X