Randomised Gaming Retro Videos & Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
    I remember the early shots of Saturn Shinobi. Two in particular. One on a mountain and one with massive budda statues. It also had a different hud.
    I
    It looks so much better then, I wonder what happened and why the change.

Comment

Gotta admit, I never got Cyber Speedway back in the day and looking at that video I'm happy I didn't. It's interesting to compare it with contemporary titles, like Hi-Octane and Wipeout (and that other one, where you're racing in the gyrosphere things, which was fun). Overall though it just shows how in presentation, Wipeout was just streets ahead of the others.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
      It looks so much better then, I wonder what happened and why the change.
      I never played Shinobi X, even though I wanted to. Did it get trashed in Sega Saturn Magazine or CVG? As if so, that was probably the reason.

Nostalgia... Back in the 90s, I was really careful over what games I got and which ones I avoided. I remember how, back then, I got games so rarely (usually just 1 for Christmas and 1 for my birthday - like getting titles outside of this was so irregular that I remember the 5 games for which this happened; Screamer, Rise of the Robots, Virtua Cop, Gungriffon and Guardian Heroes). That meant you had to be really sure that every game you asked for was a showstopper, or you could end up saddled with a dud that you'd have to try and glean some enjoyment out of for 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        I never played Shinobi X, even though I wanted to. Did it get trashed in Sega Saturn Magazine or CVG? As if so, that was probably the reason.
        It got decent reviews and it's a decet game. The change happend long before the game even came out in Japan. Here's the pics from the Saturn flyer than came with the Launch Saturn in Japan

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          It got decent reviews and it's a decet game. The change happend long before the game even came out in Japan. Here's the pics from the Saturn flyer than came with the Launch Saturn in Japan
          Shinobi X gets a lot of flack, but is a decent enough games, those screenshots don't look that different from the finished game, could have contained placeholder art.

Right some lesser known games this week starting with the FMV adventure Strahl, which also came out on 3D0 and Laser Disc:

Next Cube Battle an OVA crossed with a puzzle game, nice idea neds more content this is the second of the two Cube Battler games:

Finally we have the rather bad Battle Satations, which is actually quite funny to play, this also got released on PS1:

Comment

Did you know there are 2 cube battler games for the Saturn?

Comment

Edit - wrong thread
              Last edited by MartyG; 06-07-2019, 14:21.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post

Finally we have the rather bad Battle Satations, which is actually quite funny to play, this also got released on PS1:
                I hadn't heard of this before, so I'll give it a go. Looks pretty fun to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                  Did you know there are 2 cube battler games for the Saturn?
                  Errrr Yakumo did you read my post and the text above the Cube Battle video? What you think of it anyway? It's an interesting if flawed game.

Starting to feel my age when I can say I think PSP is retro now (just about) first video of the week covers the little known Brave Story New Traveler.

Comment

Errrr Yakumo did you read my post and the text above the Cube Battle video? What you think of it anyway? It's an interesting if flawed game.]
                    Ah I did but not properly. As for the game I never really played it much so I don't remember it well. I do remember not thinking much of it.

Comment

Yeah it's far from a perfect game, but I enjoyed it.

We did a longplay of the excellent In the Hunt the other week from Irem:

This is the longplay:

Here's us also schooling all the bosses in a no death run, shame the longplay wasn't as good a run.

Comment

Yeah it's far from a perfect game, but I enjoyed it.
                        The graphics still look as impressive as they did back in the day. Such a special game.

Comment

Well here is one PC retro game I doubt many here on Bordersdown have play Freelancer the superb sequel to Starlancer. One of the few games that built on the excellent Elite gameplay format. Developed by Digital Anvil and the game concept was by Chris Roberts. This is basically Star Citizen 0.5, but with Microsoft bank rolling the game, they made sure to get it released. Jury still out out on Star Citizen, but Freelancer is a great game, if dated a bit on the graphics side.

Does require a few tweaks to run on modern systems, but has a big enough fan community that there have been fan fixes made.

Last edited by S3M; 26-08-2019, 13:33.

Comment

Well, we gave the OSSC a full run with Sega Rally this week on Sega Saturn, full playthrough as the Celica:

Comment

Starting to take a look at a couple of games long since delisted from Xbox Live Arcade and other services.

First off the 2011 version of Sega Rally Online Arcade, which was a port of Sega Rally 3 from 2008, by the long defunct Sega Racing Studio, it doesn't quite hit the mark, but it improves the gameplay, seen in Sega Rally Revo, which it is based on.

Second we have Ubisoft's remake of Turtles in Time, which really wasn't a patch on the Konami original:

Both games really are cases where the development teams didn't understand the originals.

Comment

Taking a look at a few games now long since delisted from the XBLA a list that is ever increasing and unlike classic retro formats some of these games are gone for good.

Marble Blast Ultra, one of the early highlights on XBLA:

Kung Fu Strike, best remembered for going up on XBLA in September 2012 and disappearing in November 2012, never to return:

Comment

Working...
                                X