X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick look at another Lynx game today this is Gates of Zendocon:

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
      Yeah, the Lynx resolution is really low. And games already look quite blocky on the small screen. I've noticed that Lynx games always look like block fests when emulated.
      They do look great on the real hardware (res wise) but I still love the system and was so impressed with it. I remember the just being amazed at the scaling in California Games on the system, back in the day. I so wish SEGA took the hardware when it was offered to them, it was so much better than the sh8t that was the Game Gear hardware

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
        Gates of Zendocon
        I haven't got that one, but I really like Zarlor Mercenary. It's not a great shooter, but it's decent in all areas.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
        it was so much better than the sh8t that was the Game Gear hardware
        Yeah, the GG hardware is too basic. But people still liked the idea of a portable Master System. Some of the games were pretty good. I have quite fond memories of my brother's GG -- and quite a few people I knew had one. It was a popular handheld.

I also really like the Lynx. Bought one a few years ago with a modern screen, and was quite surprised how nice looking and playable its best games are. There's a feeling of retro magic about it that keeps me coming back for more.

Comment

New videos for this week, starting with the Lynx port of Shadow of the Beast, which improves the gameplay some what over the original Amiga version. Beast is one of those game you wonder why it got ported to other systems as it was an Amiga tech demo that looked and sounded great, but played like arse.

Secondly we have BreakThru! no sadly not the arcade drive shooting from Data East, but the 1994 puzzle game, one of those title you wonder why it got ported to Saturn only in Japan?

Comment

the Lynx port of Shadow of the Beast, which improves the gameplay some what over the original Amiga version. [/video]
            I really like what they did with the Lynx version, adding some nice effects etc... It's also more playable than the Amiga version. Was a nice surprise when I bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
              I really like what they did with the Lynx version, adding some nice effects etc... It's also more playable than the Amiga version. Was a nice surprise when I bought it.
              Yeah so impressive, it's just a shame even when playing on an actual system the screen res is so low (back then)

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                it's just a shame even when playing on an actual system the screen res is so low (back then)
                Yeah, it's very blocky, but looks pretty good on a small screen. All the extra touches really work well. SotB has a such a nice retro vibe on the Amiga and Lynx.

Comment

So two video this week one is a modern retro themed indie brawler, Fight'N Rage that recently released on PS4.

Secondly we take a look at the removed Japanese only lures in Sega Bass Fishing:

Comment

Two videos over this Christmas period one is a sample of gameplay from the GBA port of A Link to the Past and Four Swords showing both games as there will be a review of it in the new year.

The other is a playthrough of the rather obscure, but excellent Gundam Wing Endless Duel, which I don't recall anyone on here mentioning. Great versus fighter aiming for the X-MEN COTA crowd and one of the best looking fighters on the old SNES.

Comment

Gundam Wing Endless Duel, which I don't recall anyone on here mentioning. Great versus fighter aiming for the X-MEN COTA crowd and one of the best looking fighters on the old SNES.
                      [o]
                      eh? I used to talk about this a lot. Even own the original game. It's excelent.
                      To be fair the Internet was still a new thing when used to talk about this one.

Comment

The other is a playthrough of the rather obscure, but excellent Gundam Wing Endless Duel, which I don't recall anyone on here mentioning.
                        It's been mentioned a few times. I said it's similar quality to a top Capcom game, so quite stunning to behold. It's one of those elite SNES games that shows off the hardware in all departments.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                          eh? I used to talk about this a lot. Even own the original game. It's excelent.
                          To be fair the Internet was still a new thing when used to talk about this one.
                          Yeah to be fair it was release way back in 1996 and I suspect it got more talk about then. It actually one of the video I did for the channel as I recently picked up a copy of the game. Not that cheap to by these days, however.

Comment

Yeah to be fair it was release way back in 1996 and I suspect it got more talk about then.
                            Everyone I knew had moved on to 32-bit by '96, so I didn't know about it. Of course, the Japanese market for the SFC/SNES was still significant at that point. Remember that Yoshi's Island was released in 1995 and people see it as a very late SNES game in the West.

Comment

. Not that cheap to by these days, however.
                              unfortunately like many of the great games. Still it's more affordable than the likes of wild guns.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                                unfortunately like many of the great games. Still it's more affordable than the likes of wild guns.
                                That said I've seen cart only copies go for between £20-60, so I think the price is coming down a bit.

Most recent video is a look at Theme Park on the PS1:
                                Last edited by S3M; 08-01-2020, 21:27.

Comment

Working...
                                X