"Free" games with PSN and Live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Free" games with PSN and Live

Forza free with the console for preorders.
    Free games every month with a sub that you have to get.
    Not sure how long this can go on for. Unless the games are old and not being purchases any more (Rainbox6 Vegas).

I fear for the day that console games go the way the Apple and Google marketplaces (same dismal selection of 69p games at the top for an eternity) - devaluing games with huge 2nd hand tat areas in GAME almost killed GAME. Devaluing them by giving full price titles away from free? (And don't get me started on freemium)

Will it work?

It's a criticism that has been levelled at the likes of Steam for a long time. Many publishers have argued that the weekend and midweek deal selling games for a couple of quid a piece will devalue games. In reality, it resulted in plenty of games that had long since past their shelf date and no longer selling in significant numbers suddenly found themselves selling in the tens of thousands. These same publishers have since seen the benefits of such offers. Such sales actually breathed new life into games and series' would have otherwise disappeared into obscurity as legacy titles that no longer sell. I'm willing to bet that Mirror's Edge sold far, far more on 75% off sales than on launch, and it probably the reason why EA deemed there to be enough interest in a sequel.

In that sense, these offers create sales where there would previously have not been any.

The way PS+ and the like operate is obviously different, but the principle is the same. I assume the publisher of each 'free' game given away on PS+ do get a paid a decent amount for it, and creates new revenue for 'legacy' back catalogue titles that would otherwise no longer be selling.

Comment

Microsofts marketplace deals and sales though changing very regularly and featuring most of there high profile arcade games didn't impact the service or have any impact on day one sales of games, There is always gonna be a massive community around games that make picking it up day one attractive online and offline and if you wait for the discount your not getting in on that on the ground floor.

looking at sony i doubt ps+ influences game purchasing, as nine times out of ten the games are about a year old or indie games problem going forward the playstation+ service seems to be pushing indie games like Resogun and Contrast, PC conversions of great games like Outlast (that i otherwise wouldn't get a chance to play) and cut down full versions of games like the Plus version of Driveclub, i don't see this as undervaluing whats going on on ps4 just complementing the full price games that still are a massive draw. those that want to play BF4 are hardly gonna wait a year and a half in-case it pops up on ps+ like bf3 did
      Last edited by Lebowski; 12-11-2013, 17:41.

Comment

I don't PC game but most Steam gamers seem to be "digital stamp collectors" as someone on Hot UK Deals put it the other day. My best mate is now up to 500 games with game sharing and humble bundles. He has played around 50 of them and not even properly in most cases! It has devalued PC games in his opinion.

PS+ is a little different. I still buy everything I want new, new. But it does afford me the opportunity to play things that I would have done without or bought second hand. I am thankful to it and it brings its own rewards to developers. For example, I LOVED playing Limbo so will surely get the sequel / developers next title.

Massive backlogs for all! Cheers!

Comment

Steam - stamp collecting = truth.

Comment

Eh, I only grab Humble Bundles myself really, sans when I used Steam properly back in 05-06. Got 107 games apparently.

Comment

I've definitely stopped buying so many games on Steam's weekend offers since I realised how many games on my Steam list are unplayed. These unplayed games will probably remain unplayed because they were purchased on a whim in the first place (despite genuine intentions to play them 'eventually').

Comment

Working...
              X