Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Man's Sky from Hello Games (HAS to be seen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
    This was my main problem as well. If they had increased the slots to say 100 different mats, with those slots able to stack as higher as you want I would have stuck with it. The pitiful lack of inventory space was a deal breaker and the constantly pointless juggling is so soul destroying.
    I think the most shockingly dismal thing is, given the advance technology in the game, that the ships are so fuel inefficient that they only hold enough power to take off four times before you're back at the petrol station.

One would think that was a problem which would have been sorted out before they originally went into space.

Comment

I'm looking forward to playing again this weekend. Hundreds of hours I've spent just walking around and mining, yet it never gets old for me.

Comment

Quite a nice article about NMS. I have to be honest, I turned my back on it. I enjoyed the exploration side, but found the mining/grinding pretty tedious. However I really appreciate the extra effort the team are putting in to it. I haven't played the last update but it sounds like a big improvement and adding VR next will be great. I'm actually looking forward to jumping back in.

Comment

First impressions of the VR are really positive. We may have our summer game VR players!

Comment

Just to clarify - if I get the disc version of this, will I get the VR update (and all the other updates) for free?

As I'm thinking of getting rid of my PSVR before the end of the year, I might get that instead of the digital version as I can re-sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              Just to clarify - if I get the disc version of this, will I get the VR update (and all the other updates) for free?

As I'm thinking of getting rid of my PSVR before the end of the year, I might get that instead of the digital version as I can re-sell it.
              Yeah you'll get the updates. It would probably be worth getting it on disk soon, installing and getting the two previous updates so you don't have to do a colossal update on Wednesday when this drops.

Comment

Official trailer of Beyond - update should be out tomorrow (14th Aug 2019)

16-32 players
                VR
                Nexus Social Space
                Creature taming/riding/milking
                Multiplayer Missions
                Cooking & Recipes
                Cooler Aliens
                Power & Logic & Industrial Bases
                Much more...
                Version 2.0

So claimed, but unless they've changed the mining requirements, that trailer has been artificially streamlined to make it look as if it's far less disjointed than the reality of my considerable experience of the game.

Also, I don't believe a word Sean Murray says**. His fault.

**Claims "You can build your own version of Rocket League in the game"

One good thing with this update that I've seen is that it will support Vulkan on PC which should improve the graphical performance.
                Last edited by MartyG; 13-08-2019, 13:01.

Comment

The only thing I really wanted in the game was proper ship handling when in an atmosphere along with a hover mode so get I to some descent style exploring big caves or strafing sentinels with ease.. instead of controlling like submarine in an invisible sea.

Comment

Well the VR works. I mostly have to lean forward to read anything, and don't even bother when in your ship.

Naturally, after increasing the number of mining items you can hold to 9999 per item, they increased the number of items so we STILL have the same "Inventory Full" message!

I'm loving it. Just lost 2 hours and didn't even notice.

Comment

Still the same boring grind fest, so if you didn't think much of it before, this update won't change your mind.

Plus my base no longer exists and thus none of the storage crates exist and thus none of my stored inventory or unlocked techs exist anymore and I really can't be bothered to start from scratch with this game again.

Comment

Well i held my breath and booted it up after the update, my base is just as i left it with the only difference been the framerate is crazy good and there are now pieces of technology offline as they now need power. Seemed to have lost my farmed plants too hopefully i remembered to keep supplies in my containers for replanting as i can't be arsed travelling far and wide to get all of them again. Hopefully my network of discovered planets will still be there when i take off but at the moment i'm exploring what's new but so far it seems like nothings gon horribly wrong. The planet i settled on still has the correct biome.

Comment

Well it seems the nexus now has a portal to take you to any of the bases you ever created but you were taken away from when you reset the universe and ended up in a different part of it which is super useful. Found a glitch where 2 of my storage units wouldn't power up in my previous base but if i deleted them and placed them elsewhere they could be connected to the power grid and more importantly my items inside were still there. Liking the nexus missions just wish there was a way to get quicksilver as i haven't seen any community missions since i got the game and you can't get certain items without it. Seems my huge stash of nanites finally has a use as there's upgrades galore to purchase from the nexus.

Comment

Started from scratch.
                            The hours just evaporated.

Comment

Its scary how absorbed you get, just surviving takes up a lot of time let alone finding your way in the universe & upgrading the crap out of everything.

Comment

OK, went to bed about midnight because I lost track of time, but here are my thoughts from my first session.

Booted, put on the VR, it was running like a non-VR game.
                                Quit, restarted and it was fine.
                                It was 3rd person before, then went POV.

used the move controllers, worrying that there wouldn't be enough buttons, but there really was.
                                Took a while to get used to, but I really like the way you reach over your right shoulder to pull out your mining tool or put it away, and reach with your left to your head to activate the scanner.

Movement uses a combination of face buttons for incremental twists, but mainly left Move thumb that produces an arc that shows where you'll move to and you teleport there. There's no real restrictions of that arc, so if there's a floating rock above you with in reach, you can move onto it - something I did as an experiment.

I started a new Normal setting game. Nice to see there's a creative mode and survival mode now.
                                There is a LOT of hand-holding at the start, but you really need it as there's so much to take in. Telling you what to do was really helpful, but never obtrusive.

The HUD is really clever because there are several layers to it. In the corners are stats like health and amounts of material you've mined and helpful hints telling you how to achieve what you're supposed to be doing.
                                On top of that is the user screens. You appear in the game world as a pair of floating hands and your gloves have loads of menus built in from your inventory to the building menu. You poke at the gloves and the translucent menus pop up.
                                You soon get used to it, but this really does feel like your in a sci-fi film. The sense of depth with the various menus and environment look really cool, but remain functional.

The game didn't look any more blurry than any other VR game and the original game was never high-res, with almost cartoony environments.

By the end of the night, I'd fixed my ship, built some stuff, left the planet and built a wooden shack.

It's the same inventory management as before, but it hit me after about an hour, rather than within the first 20 minutes previously.
                                It'll still be an issue, but it's better.

If you didn't like it originally, I don't think this will make you do a u-turn, but if you're willing to give it some space, I can imagine it's really rewarding.

I got a real buzz blasting off from my starting planet and floating into space.
                                Seeing asteroids around, I tested blasting them and they all shattered and gave me minerals, apart from one huge rock, that didn't blow apart, but I zapped a tunnel and flew through it. Lovely.

Comment

Working...
                                X