No announcement yet.

DayZ - Early Access Alpha review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another epic session last night. Whilst looting a prison we had a Zombie find its way in but at the same time another player. By the time I realised the player downstairs wasn't my mate he'd raised his automatic weapon and gunned me down. Whilst watching a black "You Died" screen I could still hear what was going on in the game. My mate had a working pistol so waited in a room. "I can hear him coming, oh ****, oh ****!" *gunfire*... "I think I've killed him!". And he had. He looted the body and legged it into the woods near Stary Sobor. The story continues...

This is the greatest online gaming experience I've ever had. Nothing else even comes remotely close. There is a lot of crap to put up with but the tension, despair and elation overcomes it all.

EDIT: For anyone considering trying this in its current state, here's some of the things you'll have to deal with:

Zombies walking through objects:
    Currently zombies will just clip right through walls, houses, stairs etc. Running into a house and closing the door will not protect you

Climbing ladders or stairs (rare) can be lethal:
    You might fall from a ladder for no reason at all

Lag:
    When you try to eat some food, or equip your weapon, or drink some water the game might just not do what you ask of it and you'll have to try again.

Work it out yourself:
    Like Demon's Souls but even worse. There's no tutorial. You won't know how to do anything and the UI is clunky as hell, especially inventory management (although that is improved over the mod version)
    Last edited by Brad; 08-01-2014, 09:50.

Comment

Yeah, still lots of tidying up of (frustrating) bugs and stuff but is a heck of an experience.

I had a game when I braved into a big town knowing full well there would be people there (server as 80% full of gamer slots). Was pretty defenceless with only a wrench. Walked down the main street and heard gunshot. Saw a dead body so investigated. Walked around back streets and 2 players with rifles saw me. I surrendered shouting "I'm new!". One of the guys promised not to kill me as long as I helped them flush out a sniper. They would give me all his loot. I decided to do so as I had little to lose anyway.

They took me to the place where they suspected he was and asked me to distract him so they would get across the street. I did. Got sniped.

It does make you think about how you play a game though. I am starting to develop a deep mistrust of everyone. Need to get some buddies.

Comment

For early game try and fine an axe. Preferably a Firefighter's axe. That will 1 hit kill a zombie. A splitting axe seems to take 2 hits.

Yeah, I don't trust anyone. If I'd had a gun when I saw that guy last night I'd have shot him on sight.

Comment

I'm loving hearing your stories! Keep 'em coming!

You're like wide-eyed kids telling their adventures after a game of Laser Quest!

Comment

I really fancy this but have no clue if I can run it as I have never played a PC game on my laptop. Can anyone tell me if I can get it to run

I have
            i5 sandy bridge (mobile)
            8GB Ram
            Intel HD3000 (this is where I'm not sure)
            Win 7

If I can get it on minimum I'll have to give it a whirl but don't want to waste ?30 on something that won't run, any ideas?

cheers

Comment

These steam review had me in stitches

Comment

You can... do that stuff? Oh god, it's like this game was made specifically for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossco View Post
                  Well it's finally here!

I haven't posted on here regularly for a long time but thought I'd come back and see if anyone was playing this but sadly no thread at all mentioning it.

?20 for the early access alpha version on Steam right now and for anyone who loved the mod from the start then you definitely need to check it out.

I typed up a scenario that happened to me in my first life of the game last week in the official forums:

"I had moved north from the beginning; I always try to get away from the coast as soon as possible. I see no value in hanging around there. The relentless killing that goes on actually makes me want to kill people too to defend myself, which is not my style of play. So I headed north, hitting a few small villages on the way to Zelenogorsk from my spawn in Kamenka while I waited for my friend to reach the same place from the east coast instead.

I had met no players the whole way, only a handful of zombies which I killed with my axe with greater and greater accuracy the further north I moved. When I reached Zelenogorsk I was amazed at the size, I hadn't really played the mod a lot on Chernarus - I mainly played Panthera - so I'm not 100% familiar with the lay of the land here which is good.

I got myself right into the middle of town for a full on looting session, finally found my first gun amongst a variety of other items including two med kits. I was just up the road from the supermarket in one of the two storey buildings looking out the window for other survivors when I suddenly seen someone crossing the road outside. I was straight onto my friend on Skype asking him what I should do. It was my first real encounter with a survivor and I wasn't sure how to play it. I had collected a fair amount of loot and travelled a decent distance so didn't want to risk losing it. I certainly wasn't going to shoot the guy in cold blood, he was geared up and as I've said before, it's not the way I play.

I decided I would just call out to him and see how he reacted. I preferred my chances of surviving by talking to him than by hiding. He was running around in and out of a lot of buildings and I didn't want him to chance upon me and open fire instantly. So I called out "Hey you with the green bag, I'm friendly, don't shoot me!" No reply. "Heyyy you! Running on the road! I'm upstairs, are you friendly?" No reply. I immediately think I've made a mistake and that he's now looking for me to kill me. If someone calls out to me I make sure I answer straight away in case they have me lined up and are ready to shoot. But he didn't reply. Then all of a sudden another person was running around with him. They were obviously a team playing together so I was really worried now and started to move downstairs to get outta there. I spoke out again one last time "Hey you guys! Are you friendly?" when the doors opened and in they both walked. No shots were fired though by either party. We all just stood there for a second looking at each other "I quickly shouted "DON'T SHOOT, DON'T SHOOT!" just in case they were going to but they never seemed bothered at all and finally they started talking to me.

We moved upstairs to talk and they started asking me for medical supplies. One of them was low on blood and needed a transfusion. I checked all my gear and realised I had no idea about this blood transfusion malarkey in SA so asked him what I needed. He told me the items and it turns out I had them all, so I laid the kit on the floor and he took it and proceeded to take blood from me. I'm not sure the value or percentage taken but there was a noticeable drop in colour saturation on my screen so it must have been a sizeable amount! He then put the items back on the ground and I picked them up and transfused my blood into him. He was very thankful as I done this but after a few seconds of the transfusion finishing he collapsed right in front of me! I had no idea what happened and we spoke about whether it was due to blood type mismatch but they assured me that wasn't in the game. Finally he woke up again and they were on their way. I was sitting there organizing some of my loot after they rewarded me for helping when the same guy came back in on his own again with news...

Apparently he was infected and was going to die. I don't know how he knew this but that's what he said. He laid down all his items, clothes, weapons, everything on the floor and said I could take them all. I was quite surprised at being offered so much good gear such as an M4, large backpack, loads of food, gas mask, tactical vest, etc. I thought it was a trick at first but I wasn't going to argue so I scooped it all up. Then he gave me the bad news...

He wanted me to kill him. He must not have wanted to wait for the infection to finish him off, but rather be killed and start again. So he sat there with his head hanging down, with just his underwear on and me stood over him with my M4 pointed at his head. I said to him "Farewell, my friend. I will tell tales of your kindness..." and pulled the trigger. One shot from my M4 hit him straight in the head and his body slumped to the ground. With all his gear he so generously offered me and his lifeless body next to me I suddenly felt a wave of sadness hit me I haven't felt before in any game. I had randomly bumped into a stranger and nursed him back to life. We talked and laughed and shared a short time together and now he was dead right next to me because I had to put him down like an injured dog.

I am still alive. Surviving just for him. Avoiding bandits and dropping zombies as much as I can to get further north to safety. Using his gear to keep myself going.

There was no story to force all this to happen. No NPC characters with scripted lines. It might have only lasted 10 or 15 minutes but it was quite a powerful moment as far as video games go and I don't think I'll forget it for a while. Sadly I didn't get either players name but it was on a GB server I think around 9pm GMT on Friday night and they sounded foreign to me. It would be cool to hear from either of them if they are on the forum.

This is why I love DayZ, it gives you the freedom to do what you want and make your own stories and memories from real encounters with real people."

Yesterday that character finally died after almost 20 hours. I was looting a town with my friend when two random people appeared. They seemed okay and didn't do any harm for a few minutes. They just hung around not speaking which should have made me suspicious to be honest, I was a bit too trusting.

I ran away from one of them to join up with my friend and as soon as I turned my back the guy followed me out and shot me. I was pretty angry at the time but it just makes you learn to be more careful and less trusting of strangers. Especially when they blindly ignore you in voice chat and don't even type anything back.

So yeah, that's just some stories on the game so far. Obviously it is in Alpha stage, it's very buggy and clunky still with a lot of improvements to come but for anyone who loved the mod, this is a must have.

Is anyone else playing? Sorry for boring you with my stories rather than reviewing the game as such. :P
                  Brilliant stuff enjoyed the read. So many variations can happen it seems with so many options.

Comment

Manage to get a full two hour run last night. Found food, water, backpack, medical supplies. Was all going well until I got mugged and murdered by someone looking for food. Some people kill first rather than ask for any food.

I know this is only an alpha build but the promise is immense, if anyone wants to add me on their steam account for a coop adventures please do so. I'm mic less at the moment but I've order a couple from amazon to test and will have one shortly.

Comment

I want more stories from you lot, please!

Comment

Put 100 hours into this now. I will try to remember some of my many many stories now and write them up for you guys.

Safe to say I'm loving it just as much as the mod. It's been updated frequently too so the signs of constant improvement are really good.

Comment

My latest story:

Walked around a full 40 man server for 45 mins. Went to Balota airfield and the surrounding council estate. Had an axe and a magnum with no bullets. Walked backwards dancing side to side along the entire runway to attract attention. Saw no one.

Disconnected.

I think I am getting bored with it. Needs to ramp up the content and things to do as I can't rely upon chance encounters with strangers to get my kicks.

Comment

My current life was coming to an end so decided to take some zombies into Balota for a walk - kinda like Pikmin. Walked around the local area and found 5 or 6 and lead them into the airstrip. Showing them a really good time. Trying to educate them that eating human flesh is not the be all and end all of their existence when some numpties decide to open fire. Maybe they thought I was in trouble but in the end they got me too. Sigh.

Thought I'd take a few zombies for some sight seeing at Balato and then some div opens fire.

Comment

I recently bought this in the PSN sale at 24.99. I had been umming and ahhing over it for a while, but after just a couple of sessions with it, I am glad I took the plunge.

I have a friend who bought it at same time and we play our separate adventures whilst in party chat, letting each other know what loot we are finding. Mostly we find things like a portable stove - my mate found a gas canister, but goodness knows where he was in the vast world - it was night and we have no means of knowing our whereabouts! Mostly though, its food and drink which seems very hard to come by. I celebrated on finding powdered milk and a cola. Last night I came across a 'dead' erm..'survivor' and as I was armed with a kitchen knife, I was allowed to break him down into 'human steaks'. In a desperate moment I chose to eat one raw. It helped! However, later the second one I had knocked me vomiting and I eventually died.

This game will no doubt wind people up due to it not holding your hand and being seemingly scarce of food (oh I did find a fishing rod and hook!), but I really like the exploration aspect, the wonder of what's over that hill? A village to loot? The promise of being able to survive and find a decent gun and even vehicles.

Yeah, it has some graphical pop-in upon loading and the models are not the best (think PUBG), but it certainly has its moments. I have found myself saving screenshots of god rays beaming through pine trees at me at sunrise.

Yeah, so finding a mate isn't easy, the invite system seems broken, but providing you get on the same server there is a third-party app called iZurvive which has very detailed map of the world which can help in you both navigating to each other, but this will probably only work providing you both know where you actually are and so far, I've not noticed any signs in the world.

Anyway, so far, if you've been on the fence about this, like I have, I say give it a shot at the current price (which I think ends today).

Now I need to go on youtube for some survival guidance.

Comment

Possibly some tips for finding where you are in the world in my review:

Might get the PS4 version myself. Not played for years.

Comment

Working...
                                X