No announcement yet.

Import Game Zines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I almost exclusively buy import games myself. I can't play games in 50Hz, too used to 60.

I actually think importing may see a return. The industry is becoming squeezed and risky. Titles are less likely to be translated.

Comment

Importing is still cool and stuff but it's hardly like it was. Most games now come out globally around the same time - even stuff like Pok?mon which traditionally had huge lead times on the English language version.

The Western market is so much larger than the Japanese that launching here and in the US first is the priority.

So you end up with just the odd title being worth it on import. A lot of the j-exclusive stuff that comes out isn't even good. Project Diva F 2nd is the only import title on my horizon. I feel like you can end up playing a lot of crap just because it's Japanese if you're not careful.

Comment

It's the lingo for me. I have less free time than I used to so really don't have the time to sit through some RPG in moon anymore. Means I miss out on a few things but I don't have the time to either learn the language as if I did there goes my game time or slog through just for the sake of it anymore its a shame but there are plenty of good western, indie and translated games to go around especially as I no longer have 5-10 hours a day of playtime anymore.

I do still import here and there, the less language heavy titles, diva and the like or if I'm a series fan like Yakuza but even then sometimes I just can't be arsed, stares as a sealed copy of RGG Kenzan.
        Last edited by ETC; 06-01-2014, 13:30.

Comment

There's a limit to how enthused a person can be for ANOTHER 360 shmup.

Aquapazza was a nice title, as are the Project Diva games and maybe the odd Vita title but other than that I can't see me doing much in the way of "new" games importing.

Would be a few more bits if the 3DS was region free but I'm not going to be buying a Japanese machine just to play a few curio pieces.

Comment

Annoyed that Time Travellers and that lovely 3DS labyrinth game never made it.

Comment

You can end up playing crap if you don't do any research & blindly just buy games. Which ironically in the yesteryear of importing is what a lot people did they just went on the box art and the pics on the back of the box. Luckily back then we had mags like mean machines & C&VG to warn us of import turds.

Comment

When I was on holiday there google translate on my phone could take a pic and translate it in to English as long as I was online, I wonder of it would be possible for Sony/MS/Nintendo to licence it and let it machine translate in the background it would be a hell of an incentive for some for that permanent online connection if it were a feature. I don't see why it can't be done in the machine nowadays the power of them it couldn't take that much resource and while it won't be as contextually accurate as a human translation for some titles its better than nothing

Comment

They have the cash to do it properly.

Comment

There is no reason for them to do that ETC. The demand for translation of most J-only titles in 2014 is tiny.

Importaku what are your top import titles of 2013?

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                      You can end up playing crap if you don't do any research & blindly just buy games. Which ironically in the yesteryear of importing is what a lot people did they just went on the box art and the pics on the back of the box. Luckily back then we had mags like mean machines & C&VG to warn us of import turds.
                      I've done this recently...looks at Jo Jo adventure on PS3, Hitman Reborn & Daikaijuu Battle on Wii

But you take a chance & sometimes you come up trumps.

I'm actually quite excited by the upcoming J Stars Victory on PS3 & I honestly doubt we'll see that here (although anything could surprise me as we do have One Piece & even Saint Seiya games here now)

Ah well I guess it's just one of those things now...it seems that in all fairness importing is just really the preserve of retro these days

Comment

No way, I import to get exclusives and to get things early. Look at all those fools in the EDF thread getting excited for the PAL release. I had that months ago and it is certified awesome. I got Dragon's Crown early and got Akiba's Trip through just before Christmas. I hate waiting and I play almost exclusively Japanese games now so there is still a market for importing outside of retro.

First one of the year will probably be Short Peace and then the boxed released of Drakengard 3 from the States.

Comment

SiliconEra.

It's my home page. They have a lot - A LOT - of import coverage. Thanks to them I knew to buy Akiba's Trip 2 for PS3 when in Japan recently.

As for making your own magazine, if you don't mind B/W printing, Amazon's POD is ludicrously easy and not that expensive. It's mainly book formats. But you can get it close to looking like a mag. Maybe a quarterly bookazine?

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                          Because there is almost no reason to import any more.
                          Not true. There's tons of stuff being released in Japan which never comes over. Browsing the shelves for current generation titles (well, last gen now) a few months ago in Japan revealed a lot of weird items I've never even heard foreign mags or websites mentioning.

It would be enjoyable to read something covering these games, to allow one to live vicariously.
                          Last edited by Sketcz; 06-01-2014, 17:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                            SiliconEra.
                            I always felt that since Andriasang stopped updating, they dropped the level of import articles.

Comment

I still import every one of my games. I don't even really know why other than habit. I buy far less games nowadays though. I never buy just for the sake of it anymore. I currently own four games. My criteria states that they must be playable with zero to little effort, and that I will actually play them. It's quite rare for me to be playing something that nobody else is nowadays, though it does still happen. #Driveclub will probably be the first game this year like that.

Nowadays it generally means that I get the same games everyone here was playing six months after everyone here got them, and for twice the price. Lots of times they are just repackaged western games so I get full English at least. Basically I end up with the same games as everyone else, later and more expensive, but the boxes are different. I'd probably be far better off just buying PAL games, but I don't just because old habits die hard.

I'd like to have a read of an old-style import magazine though. I couldn't see it swaying me into buying Super Flying Gojira Wars 42! though. I just don't have the time for that kind of dedicated gaming nowadays.
                              Last edited by J0e Musashi; 06-01-2014, 18:14.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                                There is no reason for them to do that ETC. The demand for translation of most J-only titles in 2014 is tiny.

Importaku what are your top import titles of 2013?
                                Last year there actually wasn't much new that i picked up. I was mainly concentrating on trying to get the last batch of DS games i needed to fill in my collection with. I imported quite a lot of stuff but they were all older games.

The only 2 standout imports last year for me were Taiko no tatsujin & Youkai watch on 3DS. This march sees Hero bank & Game center CX3 both get released. Now that my DS collection is complete im going through all the 3DS imports i missed, the exchange rate is a lot better now so they are not as wallet killing as they were before. Still a handful of older games i want on 3DS.

Comment

Working...
                                X