Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post your Internet connection speed a.k.a. How big is my pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a piece-of-string-and-two-paper-cups connection. Slower than a speeding snail but sufficient for my needs. Smoke signals are still the best though.

Comment

I can get way over 250mb both ways over a wired connection.

Comment

Been with Virgin/NTL since 1999, only company I've had broadband with.

Never had any issues though could be location, I've heard poor stories from customers in other parts of the country.

Good customer service, rock steady speeds and speeds are what you pay for, and very few outages, nice that they have a number you can dial which tells you if there is a problem in your area (not the normal Virgin number),
        They give you increases in speed over time as well.

Comment

Could I get some advice on the last post I made please. A friend says he's getting like 30mb through Vodafone. I'm lost as I've only used Virgin long term before.

Comment

I just downloaded an update to one of my Xbox One X games and noticed it just flew down. Went over to the PC to check the speed and holly sh!t Looks like my line has been upgraded without any notice. I mean, it was always fast but now it's twice as fast.

Link to the results -
            Last edited by Yakumo; 02-10-2020, 12:03.

Comment

That's cool. I have 150Mb FTTH but always get crap download speeds from Xbox. Around 50Mb a lot of the time. Puts me off bothering to upgrade the line further, as really my main large scale downloads are all via Xbox/PS, and they never seem to get near my 150Mb max.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                That's cool. I have 150Mb FTTH but always get crap download speeds from Xbox. Around 50Mb a lot of the time. Puts me off bothering to upgrade the line further, as really my main large scale downloads are all via Xbox/PS, and they never seem to get near my 150Mb max.
                Xbox has always been fast for me but then again how many people are using the servers over here ��

Comment

It's always been fast for me as well but it's weird some report slow DL speeds so much.

Comment

Since somebody sent me a 'designer' dodgy cable it's been 5mbs slower. I might have to send the router to a mug on ebay.
                    At least they'll never know it's performance reduced by a dodgy cable frying the quality components and making it perform more like a free router.
                    If the little locking connection plastic didn't break so easy things would still be record speed. And if I wasn't gullible to believe a home made cable can beat a standard cable I wouldn't have caused damage to my £400 router that has never healed back to it's best speed days.

Days are filled with despair of the unfairness of every day accidents, upgrades that cause no end of issues. Paying money. To be worse off than before you began.

The despair!

Comment

Ditched the Virgin super hub 3 which regularly got terrible wifi speeds and put in a eero mesh system

fastest download speed this week over wifi 389mbps fastest up 37mbps

Comment

Got new internet today with Virgin

DL: 443Mbps UL: 43.8Mbps (Ookla speed test from my phone)

Comment

Received my new broadband router yesterday can’t use it until the 28th though. Should deliver a mighty 60ish Mbps! Man I’m going to miss my 500+ service from Virgin. One week so far with no broadband, can’t even play the Xbox as every game says I need to be online. Presumably for cloud saves.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                            Received my new broadband router yesterday can’t use it until the 28th though. Should deliver a mighty 60ish Mbps! Man I’m going to miss my 500+ service from Virgin. One week so far with no broadband, can’t even play the Xbox as every game says I need to be online. Presumably for cloud saves.
                            It must not be set as your home Xbox. You can tether to your phone temporarily and make sure it's enabled as your home Xbox so you can play digital games offline

Comment

Ah I will need to try that. Can’t see why it’s not my home Xbox it’s the only one I have. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Got a bit of a speed boost today thanks to the speed of light.

Only minor gripe is no static IP addresses at the moment, supposedly getting sorted in the future.

Comment

Working...
                                X