No announcement yet.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's true - although the course of the game has to have a particular curve to the stages it in order to maintain interest. So far I think DKC2 is the best at pulling that off, not long after the first area the stages ramp up quite fast in both complexity and challenge.

Super Mario 3D World perfected progressional (not a word? I don't care) stage design in my view. The early levels are basic and easy baby-steps, but at the same the areas are tiny. As the complexity and ideas evolve throughout the progression of the game the areas increase in size too to go along with that, offering us more of the 'good stuff'.

With DKC:TF I feel it didn't really expand until the last two areas, or on the 'K' stages. But hey, the real game is probably hidden within in Hero Mode for serious people like me (and you). NSMBU doesn't really display its genius either until the challenges are scrutinised.

Comment

Could do with a bit of buying advice on this game. I very much enjoyed Mario 3D world, quite like NSMBU (challenged more so) and found Rayman Origins/Legends to be good fun (but not as engaging as a good Mario game). I have fond memories of the SNES DK games and wonder how this will land with me?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

I'd buy it. It's easier than NSMBU until you try getting the 100%, and then that unlocks Hard Mode which I reckon should have been an option from the get go. The controls are great, the art is pretty, and the audio is pretty much perfect.

Comment

Finally beat this 100%. The 'K' levels and the last world were spot on in terms of challenge and set up things nicely for hard mode, though I will probably take a break to finish off Mario 3D World and MK8 before giving it a whirl.

The OST is exceptional throughout. I really hope Retro/Nintendo have David Wise working on other projects.

Comment

I'll admit I haven't been paying 100% attention as I slowly make my way through this (in bed mostly) but some of the puzzle pieces seem very well hidden.

Is it actually possible to get them all on a single playthrough without backtracking?

Comment

Working...
            X