The Raid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Raid

Australian filmmaker Patrick Hughes (“The Expendables 3,” “Red Hill”) is in negotiations to direct the remake of the Indonesian action film “The Raid” at Screen Gems and XYZ Films. The original followed an Indonesian S.W.A.T. team tasked with storming a building where a violent gangster and his thugs reign over innocent residents. One young cop […]

Nope, not another sequel, it's the inevitable US remake. The director of the upcoming Expendables 3 is in talks to helm this for which the studio is after the Hemsworth brothers to star in.

No. F*** no. Please go die you Hollywood parasites.

A watered-down, PG-13, Hollywood piece of sh*t money-grab. I hate the world.

Luckily we have the real Raid 2 coming soon.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        I'd watch that!

Comment

Problem with that mock poster is there are some legit martial arts performers among those faces.

Makes me wish Hollywood would make another showcase movie but with Jai White,Adkins, Decascos and whoever else stars in low-key releases that are legit good at martial arts over their more movie-popular brethren.

Comment

Isnt Dredd 3D the American version?

Comment

Originally posted by 'Press Start' View Post
              I'd watch that!
              Only if it was shot by Rodriguez in a Machete/Planet Terror style. They've got Danny Trejo in there, and he'll probably be the best among everyone else, considering the original movie. And the director doesn't seem like the best choice for such a visceral action movie.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                Isnt Dredd 3D the American version?
                I will probably get called out for this but I probably had as much enjoyment from Dredd as I did from The Raid. The Raid was good but nothing special, I think it will be interesting to see what happens with it. They did do an okay job with Infernal Affairs (The Departed), although no where near as good as the original.

Comment

Originally posted by GluedOnBeard View Post
                  I will probably get called out for this but I probably had as much enjoyment from Dredd as I did from The Raid. The Raid was good but nothing special, I think it will be interesting to see what happens with it. They did do an okay job with Infernal Affairs (The Departed), although no where near as good as the original.
                  Although based on a similar concept (Evans is supposed to have based The Raid on the Dredd script that had been circulating for a while), saying they're the same is like saying Star Wars and Star Trek are the same because they're about people and aliens in spaceships firing laser weapons. In the stars.

"good but nothing special" is what I'd call you out on. It's all subjective, but at a time when The Dark Knight Rises ($250 million) and Prometheus ($130 million) didn't meet their hype by being overcrowded and nonsensical (IMO), The Raid ($1 million) came along and was tense and thrilling.

People were cheering at the fights, going "ooooh" at the painful bits and you could hear a pin drop when Rama was hiding in the false wall.

I was watching The Raid with the commentary on and it was quite funny as Gareth Evans and Joe Taslim stop talking to listen to his character's (Jaka) dubbed voice as it's the first time they'd heard it before. It's passable if you have anti-subtitle chums.

As for the American version, (now I've gone off-topic, sorry), I just ask for two things:
                  1. No-holds-barred with the action. No PG-13 dumbing down.
                  2. IMPERATIVE! NO SHAKY CAM!

Comment

3. Properly framed shots with decent-length cuts!

Comment

You're right it is all subjective, The Dark Knight Rises also wasn't and Prometheus well, less said about that the better. I am not saying they are the same, but what I came out with from both movies was largely the same.

I totally agree on the scene where he was hiding in the wall, that was probably one of the highlights and the part where the first shots are fired and everyone retreats to the one room. So I am not saying it is terrible, I feel the movie had some very high points but didn't manage to balance itself quite right.

Maybe part of this was down to the camera work and overall direction of the movie and I am unsure who the chief police guy was but he really made me cringe with his acting. Again this is my opinion and I did still enjoy the movie.

Comment

With “The Raid 2: Berandal” out in cinemas and scoring rave reviews attention is now turning towards what’s next for the franchise. Specifically Screen Gems’ U.S. remake of the first film. Currently finishing up “The Expendables 3,” filmmaker Patrick Hughes is slated to tackle said remake and spoke with Coming Soon about what the plans […]

Details on the direction and plot of the remake.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                          http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/317...he-raid-remake

Details on the direction and plot of the remake.
                          While I definitely don't think a remake is needed it's a premise that can be used any time & made to be a good film (Dredd for example is more or less exactly the same anyway) so will give this the benefit of the doubt until it's out.

Need to see number 2 now though

Neil

Comment

I don't have a problem with a us based remake as long as the casting is good. I think I'd prefer to see something like the matrix where a keanu reeves level star learns complex choreography as opposed to a proper martial artist like iko uwais who can't act for ****. I like iko but he just gets found out in berandal

Comment

Filmmaker Joe Carnahan has been working on a remake of Gareth Evans’ iconic 2011 Indonesian action thriller “The Raid” for a while now, but there’s been little movement on the project since he was linked back in early 2017. This week, whilst out doing promotions for the film “El Chicano” which he co-wrote and produced, […]

The remake looks to start filming sometime over the summer and won't aim to challenge the action of the original, instead attempting to increase the emotional stakes involved.

Comment

Working...
                              X