Lego Sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    Lego are interesting that way in that, even with the likes of Star Wars Lego which has an older fanbase with collector money, they often skew the majority of sets towards play. But they also regularly try different things to expand out that play. Like, they have just released a whole ranger that looks like Lego bracelets or things like that? Not even sure what they are - I haven't much paid attention to them. And they had that time where they released a whole load of Lego board games and then that building game app (World of George or something like that?). They often seem to go for the play factor but, in doing so, will try things that they are very quickly happy to drop as if they never happened.

It's clear that a good chunk of what Lego puts out doesn't hit and yet it also seems to be clear that it doesn't put them off trying new and different things. And that tells me that they've probably worked out that putting out pretty sets for collectors won't be enough to keep them going (speculation on my part) and hence doing something fun and Nintendo-like with Mario. This Mario collaboration feels both very Lego and very Nintendo all in one so I'm not actually surprised by this format at all. A regular Mario-themed Lego set would have been more surprising.
    Yeah, they seem much like Nintendo in that way - they need to balance their adult nerd fanbase against the core child fanbase. Putting too much emphasis on the former at the expense of the latter is not a long term plan.

I really like the design of the Mario Lego. It looks like it would so much fun to play with if you're a kid (or Dogg Thang).

Comment

Me and one of the boys built this again this week. Such a brilliant set, with tiny detail and character everywhere.

Might have to build the Docks add on soon.

Comment

More on Lego Mario ...

https://brickset.com/article/49721/lego-and-nintendo lift the-lid-on-super-Mario

Must admit the Bowser's Castle expansion looks very good ... not cheap though ...

Comment

I nearly sicked up in my mouth a little bit at the price for the Bowser set. I'm still out, still feels like this exists as the unappealing middle ground between two other types of Mario toy I'd rather have.

Comment

Minifig scale is what most people want, I imagine. Especially the target audience - 30+ males ��

The potential is massive. The castle will obviously be the centrepiece but each mario world would make for a pretty big set with massive potential for play.

Comment

Given who they featured in the promos, we can safely assume that the target audience here is not 30+ males. I love it but I knew it would be expensive and it’s not something I’d buy at that price. It’s a real gamble of a set but I think the price point will be the deal breaker for most families.

Comment

Yeah exactly. This will flop. A normal set would have been bought by us adult geeks, either for ourselves or our kids for us to play with too.

Comment

Just had the following delivered: Overwatch dva and reinhardt (I know nothing about overwatch, just liked the mechs), Lego Ludo, Speed Champions Porsche, Speed Champions Mustang and I have the VW Camper on backorder.
                  My addiction is growing the longer this lockdown goes on.

Comment

The Camper Van is brilliant

There’s been a bit of lock-down Lego action here too ...

Comment

I'm tempted by that Jurassic Park one but it's a similar price as the 1989 Batmobile, and I'd rather have that. I might have enough points built up to get a voucher for money off so I might splurge again next month.

Comment

The JP set is my son's ... if it was for me I'd have the Batmobile too. Looks amazing.

Comment

Been enjoying a bit of lockdown Lego after work ... currently building the companion set to the brilliant Ninjago City ... ‘The Docks’ ...

Comment

I like it. My camper still hasn't turned up yet. When it does I'm going to get some lights for it and use it as a lamp in my office.

Comment

Done some more work on the Ninjago Docks including a nicely detailed apartment.

Comment

They're not a theme I'll be collecting but the proper Ninjago sets are lovely

Comment

Working...
                                X