No announcement yet.

Arcade bar top cabinet advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, yeah this PSU does sound a little odd. To be honest I wouldn't even need the PSU as you can buy mini PC PSUs over here plus the PSU would add to the shipping I would imagine.

Comment

I doubt it's anything special. Could just be a high-wattage PSU(e.g. A huge dell laptop here has a 19V/10A psu) with an internal ATX converter.

That one takes a 12V psu and, provided it's not powering anything crazy, it could work just fine. I see he's using a 3.5" hard drive but a laptop one or an SSD would need much less power. And I guess the monitor uses its regular power supply but I'm not sure from the pictures. Maybe it runs off the same psu as the computer? That could cause headaches for anyone wanting to do a DIY job or simply mean two wires coming out the back.

I read about these converters when I was looking into building a set top box PC(in the end I just got a cheap sff ATX psu that fit).

Comment

Just had a reply from multi game system guy...

The processor, mobo and ram were 163.33 the drive is a 50 or so dollar drive. So I could knock 200 off of the final pric.
        Making it 700 instead of 900.

So that's $700, still sounds expensive.

Comment

$200 ends up being ?126.80.

Can I make a better PC for this in the UK. And I also noticed this guy is using a micro ATX mobo, surely mini ITX would be better option here?

Comment

Bummer 700 US dollars is just too much. Oh well. Maybe one day my wife will let me get another real Astro City. You can pick them up from 10,000 yen but they're pretty tatty. A nice one that's still fresh and free of dirt will set you back about 30,000 to 50,000 but in all honesty you're being ripped off if you pay 50,000 inside of Japan.
            Last edited by Yakumo; 14-11-2014, 06:04.

Comment

I'd be more worried about how easily you could fit the PC bits in yourself, especially if you get a different-sized motherboard. Might be better to take the hit and let him do the hard work for you. It's only ?126.

I don't mind the price considering the work going into it. But damnit, Yakumo, don't tempt me into getting an Astro! We're in a 3LDK and both have our own rooms to do what we like with(hers has her clothes and dresser, mine has my keyboard and random stuff) so there'd be no arguments... until we have a baby.

Must. Resist.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                Bummer 700 US dollars is just too much. Oh well. Maybe one day my wife will let me get another real Astro City some day. You can pick them up from 10,000 yen but they're pretty tatty. A nice one that's still fresh and free of dirt will set you back about 30,000 to 50,000 but in all honesty you're being ripped off if you pay 50,000 inside of Japan.
                I'm still tempted to get one myself, though I'm in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                  But damnit, Yakumo, don't tempt me into getting an Astro! We're in a 3LDK and both have our own rooms to do what we like with(hers has her clothes and dresser, mine has my keyboard and random stuff) so there'd be no arguments... until we have a baby.
                  Astro City, Astro City, Astro City, Astro City, Astro City, Astro City. You know you want one. Actually, it was a baby that made my wife make me get rid of mine. The bummer is that once the baby was two we built the house we now live is so I could have kept it. Now she says they are too ugly and not meant for a house. Bloody women

Comment

Jase mentioned this to me yesterday, so I thought I'd ask MGS3 guy
                    Like randombs mentioned earlier, the guy making the MGS3 is using a PicoPSU90 as seen here...

I've got a spare UK power 'kettle' lead so that will be fine for me.

He also said It has one lead to power it all. The power switch on the back turns it all on but he did later say that he is not sure the power supply for the speakers will work with uk power. Just trying to get confirmation on this from him, hopefully it will work.

Oh, build time is around one month per MGS3 unit btw.

Comment

Why resist Billy? Sounds like you're in the perfect situation to get one!

Would love one myself but it would take up way too much space in my 1 bed flat. If I could pick one up for between ?50 and ?250 like Yakumo says though, I'd probably just do it!

Comment

Just found that I don't need a UK power 'kettle' lead at all... I just need a step down convertor.
                        I've got a few spare but not sure if it'll put me off buying this now 'cause as he mentioned, he didnt have in mind to sell the MGS3 outside of the US!

Comment

It's not just the $900, shipping is going to be pretty hefty too! Looks nice mind you.

Comment

Wow what a rip-off! Don't do it Phil. A ****ty LCD screen for low-Rez games? Just get an Astro City + JPAC + old PC and you're sorted, and it's still 100% Jamma compatible if you want to buy a cheap PCB. I'd stay away from this overpriced rubbish personally.

Also those multiboards are god awful, they have bad control lag on their own never mind played though an LCD.

Last edited by ExMosquito; 18-11-2014, 21:34.

Comment

I really had had my heart set on getting this MGS3 and I'm seeing all the pros and cons.
                              Believe me, I'd get a set up like yours ExMosquito but it's all about space, I've not got any.
                              Hence why I definitely wanna go and get an arcade bar top but I've not seen any with CRT's in them.

Comment

Why don't you just get a PVM and an arcade stick?

Comment

Working...
                                X