Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese snacks thread, gaming related or otherwise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popcorn is mostly air right? Right? Air can't be bad for you.

Comment

Big Thunder is all the rage in Taiwan. Every time 7/11 gets them in there's a miniature riot over them. I managed to get hold of one of them the other day. Not bad. Just like a flatter, ironed out Penguin bar though, if you ask me.

Comment

Fancy popcorn is soooo expensive for what it is too. Seems to be sold in almost every lunch place near my office now. I'd like to see some curry and squid flavours like the ones I tried in Japan.

Originally posted by importaku
        Also finally found a cheap source of melon soda, i would import it in liquid form but the weight would kill me in postage costs, you can order it online from the japan centre but it has also a stupidly high markup for just one bottle.

I'm a big fan of Melon Milk, it is what it sounds like, melon flavoured milk. Surely one of the most delicious soft drinks I have ever tried.

It's made by the Japanese company Pokka and has a can curiously reminiscent of the cover art for Katamari Damashii as you can see.

I've only ever found it in one Vietnamese/Chinese shop near me, but it seems like you can buy it on Amazon too. It is AWESOME.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          I've only ever found it in one Vietnamese/Chinese shop near me, but it seems like you can buy it on Amazon too. It is AWESOME.
          Also now at Japan Centre: http://www.japancentre.com/items/pok...k-melon-miruku

Comment

Went shopping for Japanese ingredients and snacks yesterday. After wakka's evangelising of Melon Milk, I grabbed some and can confirm it is awesome. Only problem is the cans are so small and I'd want three to be satisfied. This is today's lunch. The instant ramen is probably the best one I've had. It was ?1.45 compared to the usual 90p cups you find. So while there is still nothing nutritional in it, it tasted good.

Last edited by chopemon; 25-05-2014, 13:28.

Comment

I once accidentally bought melon milk from the Japan center as i thought it was melon soda it wasn't in english on the bottle & i wasn't paying attention lol biggest mistake ever as im not keen on milk based drinks. The melon taste is great but then that weird dairy aftertaste kicks in (shudder)

Those noodles do look nice, i find Japan does great instant noodles. My favourite are the UFO yakisoba ones but the Myojo Ippeichan Yomise No Yakisoba noodles are to die for as they use karashi mayo giving them a lovely kick.

If i could find a cheap eternal sourcs for UFO i'd probably never eat anything else.

Ippiechan are a close second but anything with the magic combo of nori,mayo,sauce flavous i tend to love. I resent Japan center's pricing for the price of 4 from there i could have bought a box of 10 from Japan. It's such a rip.
              Last edited by importaku; 25-05-2014, 13:44.

Comment

Yeah, Japan Centre prices are too high. Just round the corner on Brewer Street is Arigatou, a great food shop. Decent selection of stuff, cheaper than Japan Centre, good beer fridge and they prepare food there so you can eat and drink at the bar in the shop.

Near there is JP Books which sells Famitsu. I grabbed a copy and was going to get Hobby Japan but it was ?17. Nice magazine but I paid ?6 for it in Akiba. Wish I could find a cheaper way to get that magazine over here.

Comment

Ah cheers i never knew there was another place, nect time im down on a day trp i'll search it out.

Had a look on Amazon Japan it's just under a fiver there for the newest issue. Sadly the postage is ?8 but thats because they send everything by courier for international orders.

Comment

Has anybody ever seen this stuff while in & around London? It's a cherry drink made by Nichirei. i got hooked on this stuff while on holiday in Japan in 2012. I'm convinced that these Wasabi sushi places in & around Picaddily used to sell this, but I can't find it now. Maybe they never sold it & my mind is playing tricks on me. Importing would be way too expensive due to the weight. I would love to have this stuff again, it's so refreshing.

Last edited by shiffy; 25-05-2014, 14:32. Reason: removing double link

Comment

I haven't seen that cheery drink. Looks nice though!

Continuing on the treats we acquired over the weekend, time for a late afternoon beer!

Comment

I had one of those with the Champions League final last night. Must be the influence of this thread. available at Waitrose for anyone who has one nearby...

Comment

Well it's payday tomorrow & i have gone totally off the rails there is a good chunk of amazons warehouse inventory missing now. A mix of snack stuff coming some old favourites along some new ones to try too like the gummy tsutereta, yes it's witchcraft & it looks like a used condom but it's soda flavoured so im in.

Also bought some drinks mostly crayon shin chan weird experiment drinks as well as some powder sachets to make fizzy melon soda.

Was also going to get some kinoko no yama as they are really nice & the chocolate on them is great but i have spent enough on sweets lol
                          Last edited by importaku; 29-05-2014, 22:49.

Comment

^ those last mushroom things are great but I'd recommend the ones shaped like bamboo shoots as well...biscuity!

Comment

Kinoko no Yama are the mushrooms, the bamboo shoots are Takenoko no Sato. Again, best in dark or matcha flavours when available.

Comment

Yep, the mushrooms are glorious. Big fan of Choco Baby and the Pucca fish things here too.

Comment

Working...
                                X