No announcement yet.

Tekken 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree 100% Asura. The magic of Tekken 3 and TTT was sublime. When I started pulling off chicken reversals I was in heaven.

4 was awful in retrospect whilst 5 and 6 were decent return to form. I couldnt be bothered to get into TTT2 as I didnt have enough friends into it.

Comment

I actually preferred 4 to the games that came after, purely because whilst I thought it made many mis-steps, the Dead-or-Alive style environments and the positional throws were fun new ideas.

The main mistake they made was in the balancing of those areas. One or two of them were so small that Paul Phoenix was simply unstoppable.

Comment

Tekken 3 was the peak for me, I always felt like Namco had dropped a huge ball, Tekken 3 was huge, it was one of the most popular games on the Playstation, it was mainstream. Now look at it, just another niche fighting game and I know fighting games lost a lot of popularity during the PS2 era but I think the fact that 3D fighters seemed to have peaked only to get weaker didn't.

I've always believed that DOA2, Tekken 3/Tag and Soul Calibur I & II were the peaks of their series and they haven't been as good since.

Comment

Tekken 2 was the peak. Then Hwoarang and Eddy came to spoil the party.

Comment

Ditto the comments about TTT1 being the best, though I did quite enjoy Tekken 5. I just thing Namco needs to learn less is more, get rid of the bound crap, don't introduce more Mishima's like they grow on trees - just pull it back to T5/Tag 1 era gameplay and I think they'll have a winner...

Comment

I agree that Tekken 3/TTT are the peak of the series but Tekken 5 and Dark Resurrection breathed new life into the series and helped it hit peak again.

Unfortunately 6 was a bit boring and the new mechanics weren't loved by all. I think TTT2 did all the right things and gave a lot of fans what they wanted but again there was something odd about it like 6. I think I like having to work for the content and it's a bit boring when it's all there from the get go.

Comment

Tekken 3 was the nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Lucifer View Post
                  Ditto the comments about TTT1 being the best, though I did quite enjoy Tekken 5. I just thing Namco needs to learn less is more, get rid of the bound crap, don't introduce more Mishima's like they grow on trees - just pull it back to T5/Tag 1 era gameplay and I think they'll have a winner...
                  I disagree.

I think if Namco ever want Tekken to be "top dog" again, and not simply fade into obscurity, they should do something drastic. Consolidating around the old-school titles will probably get lost amid re-releases and such, and making something similar with minor changes will create another Soul Calibur V.

What they need to do is rethink the series from the ground up. The older games aren't going anywhere, people can still play them, but simply focusing on those fans and doubling down on that market is slow death.

I would take Tekken and rework it into a more free-form, open-arena fighter, where players fight in bars, nightclubs and such in a more Power Stone kind-of-way, moving freely to try and use the terrain to their advantage. Fewer moves, fewer characters, but more cinematic fighting in the vein of a modern martial arts movie, where more of the strategy comes from positioning and timing than memorising of long combo strings.

That way, they'd totally differentiate it from Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter and everything else. It'd be something unique.

Comment

i hate trailers

Few hours before the trailer was on the sites "tekken 7 to be announced soon" and then the trailer came and showed nothing that i did not know a few hours before

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      I disagree.

I think if Namco ever want Tekken to be "top dog" again, and not simply fade into obscurity, they should do something drastic. Consolidating around the old-school titles will probably get lost amid re-releases and such, and making something similar with minor changes will create another Soul Calibur V.

What they need to do is rethink the series from the ground up. The older games aren't going anywhere, people can still play them, but simply focusing on those fans and doubling down on that market is slow death.

I would take Tekken and rework it into a more free-form, open-arena fighter, where players fight in bars, nightclubs and such in a more Power Stone kind-of-way, moving freely to try and use the terrain to their advantage. Fewer moves, fewer characters, but more cinematic fighting in the vein of a modern martial arts movie, where more of the strategy comes from positioning and timing than memorising of long combo strings.

That way, they'd totally differentiate it from Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter and everything else. It'd be something unique.

Then why bother calling it Tekken, it'll only piss off what's left of its fanbase and its not like Namco can deliver a triple A game anymore. The best they can do is a "revamp" like SF4, add a couple new gameplay mechanics set to solid base and call it a day. I've not played a Tekken since 5 on the ps2 which was a decent game but completely forgettable, but what I would like to see is something on the lines of the crazy story stuff found in last Mortal Kombat, it would suit Tekken.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        I disagree.

Tekken starts off in the arcade though where it's played competitively. It's been the biggest arcade fighter in Japan and particular Korea for quite some time where they have shows around it. They wouldn't make drastic changes like that.

I would like to see toning down of the launch/combo madness though and something done to movement/spacing and throws.

Comment

It's interesting to hear your opinion Asura. I really used to love and I mean LOVE Tekken in it's hay day - I just think the more layers you add to this fighting system the more niche it'll become and it'll just disappear into obscurity. Hence I think the SF4 approach is the right one, dial it back - cater to the old-skool and in turn bring in a new fanbase that and slowly add the layers as you go.

Dialing back doesn't mean an inferior game, nor does it mean the game is watered down, it's just that happy medium that'll get the crowds interested again...

Idk, but my hope is high - I hope Harada and co can get this right...

Comment

I agree, t2 was good for the time but t3 and ttt added a faster, purer feel. They need to go back to that like sf4 went more ol skool. Then release 2-3 subsequent improvements before releasing a true sequel. You can't just keep releasing sequel after sequel with new systems to learn, it becomes niche again.

Comment

Well the last few games got a few iterations. You gotta remember Tekken gets arcade releases first and then console. Tekken 5 had a good few iterations arcade>console>arcade>console and 6 and Tag got second arcade versions before being updated for a final console release.

There's large enough gaps to warrant sequels I think. Tekken 6 came out in 2007 a month shy of a two year gap between the arcade release and the home versions.

TTT2 in 2012 and console a year later and I'm sure that mainly used assests from Tekken 6. I think it was the same with 3 and the first Tag.

I doubt we'll see this in arcades till next year but I've a feeling console ports will happen much quicker this time around but then I'm sure they learnt their lesson with 5.

—————

Supposedly Harada didn't want to reveal Tekken 7 yet but actually another game however due to it being leaked he quickly put together a trailer and went with it.
                              Last edited by shaffy_oppa; 15-07-2014, 04:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
                                Then why bother calling it Tekken, it'll only piss off what's left of its fanbase
                                I've not played a Tekken since 5 on the ps2
                                That's kinda my point, though - haven't there been four games since then? I also haven't bought one full-price since 4. What did Mortal Kombat add that you're on about?

Sorry, I'm just feeling very negative about sequels this week. I started playing Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and it just bores me to tears; I've already played 20-odd hours of AC2, and from my perspective this is pretty much the same game.
                                Last edited by Asura; 15-07-2014, 05:42.

Comment

Working...
                                X