No announcement yet.

The Last of US Remastered PS4 review [no spoilers]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the thread topic some weird political satire?

It's written as The Last of US Remastered.

Is this pointing to Trump's presidency and his destruction of the United States?

Comment

Left Behind... something of a chore. Given how Lost Legacy got away from them (even though the end product was decent) and Left Behind is pretty pointless ND are probably best leaving SP DLC and just cracking on with their next project.

Comment

If left behind is the Ellie backstory then I thought it was brilliant. If it’s something else then ignore me.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
          If left behind is the Ellie backstory then I thought it was brilliant. If it’s something else then ignore me.
          It is. It's a fantastic couple of hours gaming.

Comment

Curious, for me it's pretty weak because it's short and two halves:

1 - Walking Sim as you walk around a mall with your friend that the main game already told you about
            2 - Three minor clicker encounters no different than the main games bar the electric water section

If anything, the sections with clickers feel like padding ND made for cut flashback scenes.

Comment

I think it’s safe to say with TLOU that you either love it or hate it. (As seems to be the case with everything Naughty Dog makes) Personally I love it and I’m very happy to be immersed in the story and world over advanced gameplay mechanics, but I can see why people would hate it, even if I disagree with their view. I’ve completely given up trying to argue why you should like it, this forum sucked the life out of me for that long ago.

Comment

Completed this recently as my mate has been on at me for years to finish it, plus with 2 so close i wanted to get it done finally, only took me since its release.

BADS
                -Overlong. Could take at least a 3rd of the game out and no one would notice.

-Clickers are absolute rubbish. Dark dank basements with blar monsters, hated every second and considered stopping every time a section came up.

-Gaming convections. Every single obstacle your sent on a goose chase to get round was unnecessary, every jump the character can’t reach could be got to clearly with a piss easy climb. Several gamey things that happened just to extend the game for no reason.

-Not enough upgrades early on when you needed them.

GOODS
                -Story is a 20/10. Best story told in a game to this day.

-Art and graphics are brilliant. The giraffe bit in the yard and all the green was a brilliant moment.

-Characters were all great.

-Voice acting was top draw.

-Immersion was brilliant.

-Stealth was handled well even though I forgot there was a listen button until the last corridor of the game🤣

Comment

Yep, the Clickers are one of the things I'm curious to see how the sequel handles. They're utter rubbish, you literally just crouch walk to them and stab them, utter push over. The key to most scenarios is the less focused on Runners that represent the real danger, more varied enemy types of spawned from that nature would make for much tenser encounters.

Comment

If they took out ALL the basements id settle for that, with clicker encounters kept to lush green courtyards, or in the sunshine etc.

Comment

It's a tough one because as a game I can see why they put in the dark basement bits, but as a story narrative they serve no purpose. In a different game it wouldn't be a problem, but this game is built on its characters and story.

Comment

Another area hopefully the sequel can make use of the hardware for, things like creeping through a burning forest where you're not sure if you heard a clicker or crackling wood. In fact, another area for improvement. Listening should highlight all sound sources rather than be a cheat mode to see just enemy locations, you should have to do some level of deciphering with it.

Comment

I carried on a previous save i had, as id done the first 3rd the game must of been 5 times starting the game over and over, I actually forgot the “listen” button was even there and did the whole game without it, so its clearly not needed.

Comment

I really want to finish as I hear the story is great, but I have to honest, the gameplay is a bit confusing to me and also meh. I move about stealthy, taking out people/things as I need. But now I'm upto a bit where everything goes out the window and I seem to need to going gung ho.

Comment

I don’t love or hate TLOU

It’s a good game, with a good story. But it falls shortness of greatness for me because the story and script, good (by games’ standards) as they are, feel more prototypical of something really good than something utterly brilliant in their own right. It’s one reason why I’m really interested in the sequel. They felt like they were onto something here but it was underdeveloped.

Game-wise, it plays alright but the clicker gameplay is pretty average third person action game fare and certainly nothing special. There’s also that dissonance between game and story quite a few times (the ‘gameyness’ Fishbowlhead highlights above).

I really think the potential is there for the sequel to be something really special. Fingers crossed that it is.

Comment

Just finished my, erm, sixth, maybe seventh playthrough and that "okay" from Ellie right at the end is still just as powerful as the first time you hear it.

That whole final section of gameplay is just magnificently paced. The way it fills the player with an increasing sense of panic and dread but at the same time this feeling of power and rush of adrenaline as you work your way through the hospital taking out Fireflies.

The minute you get to the OR and pick Ellie up off the table hits me every time. Apparently I like a good cry!

It is, without doubt, the finest videogame I have ever played*. It is an unparalleled experience and a proper grown up game dealing with some complex themes.

And the soundtrack. The main theme is something I can listen to on repeat for ages but the rest of the music is just as good. Haunting and melancholy in equal measure.

*Until 19th June anyways.

Comment

Working...
                                X