No announcement yet.

Terminator III: Dark Fate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel like digging out the Alan Partridge shrug gif.

Comment

Cgi Terminators just dont look good, why do I feel....again...that the T1000 looks better than this new bozo.

Comment

I've watched this trailer a few times now and I have a number of issues that don't bode well for the rest of film.
        First, our introduction to the half terminator woman is her doing a somersault on to the back of the truck. The wirework is pretty obvious but it also tells me that is film isn't going to be grounded in reality and that I can expect more Matrix style moves through the film.
        The threat in the film is basically the T-X from T3 crossed with the venom symbiote. Yawn.
        Sarah conners intro in this trailer is, I suspect, her actual intro in the movie. This sets her up as a terminator killing badass. For me it almost breaks the fourth wall and may as well have her do a thumbs up at the camera. It also sets up an unnecessary scene in which she will have to explain who she is to the new cast (but really the audience) which we don't need because we already know who Sarah conner is.
        I could go on but I'm boring myself. Needless to say I don't like it.

Comment

I'm hoping it's just a badly cut trailer as it would be so dumb to repeat the mistakes of the past but on first view it really, really strongly reeks of a watered down version of Genisys.

I don't mind 'dumb Terminator'. Neither T3 or Genisys are great films but I've always found them to be very easy to watch in a dumb fun kind of way, this looks like the dumb without the fun and the world really... really doesn't need that.

Comment

I think my recent rewatch of the series has left me thinking that maybe there just isn’t a great sequel to Terminator to be made. It kind of missed its Aliens moment. It missed its Empire Strikes Back. I know many love the second one but it’s a bigger, louder, younger-skewing version of the first and, yes, that worked for most but you can’t really just keep doing it. By the time they tried something different with Salvation, maybe it was just too late.

I don’t know. Maybe I’ll be wrong. I really like that actor who was in Blade Runner 2049 and San Junipero and its very cool to see the real Sarah Connor back so I’d like to turn out to be wrong.

Comment

I'm with you there, tho i'm willing to see what happens...this franchise doesnt know wha it is. First you have a horror chase, then you get a flip reverse mega sequel but what are you left with. The "terminator" isnt even the lead character.

Comment

I feel like I have to assume the trailer is a poor representation... surely right? Surely they aren't going to repeat what the other films did?

The laugh is, with some tonal changes and relatively small editing/script alterations the original T3 wasn't that far off the mark in concept.

Comment

Even with T3, if you sorted out the tone (which was awful), you’re just left with a weaker version of the other movies. This is the big problem with the sequels. They are redundant except for Salvation which everyone hated. They are just weaker copies with nothing to bring to the series.

Comment

Yep, it's a credit to T2 as to how thoroughly it mined the set up from T1 which is itself a pretty straight forward film but the entire saga hangs on a storyline that you're told the end to halfway through the first movie. T2 makes sense because if you're going to make a sequel the undoing Judgment Day can be the only goal, if you do that you're done. A third film can then only be about undoing that undoing which is why I'm broadly okay with the story direction T3 took as though it was too light and popcorn action movie simplistic etc it brought things to that ending which reclosed the loop with the first film. But then it was again done.

The franchise has never really earned mega-money either so its weird how doggedly they've pursued sequels. I assume T4 was so pointless from a story standpoint because they couldn't add anything to the arc whereas Genisys just decided to break the rule set to the point where Dark Fate says the other three films aren't canon but Genisys pre-emptively made it so they all could be. That's also why it's so ironic that Dark Fate ignores T3-5 yet immediately the trailer uses several of the same beats and story elements.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                      That's also why it's so ironic that Dark Fate ignores T3-5 yet immediately the trailer uses several of the same beats and story elements.
                      Exactly. This is surprising to me and it feels like a shame, although admittedly we don't have much to go on and that's why I'm still staying open for this to change my mind and be enjoyable.

I only saw Salvation for the first time last year, having avoided it after T3 and all the reports of how bad it was and, as it happened, I didn't hate it. And that was mostly down to the fact that it at least brought something different. Genysis had potential and a good start but flushed it down the toilet. I know I'm probably repeating myself from earlier threads but I'd put much of the problem down to T2. T2 turned a relentless scifi time-travel horror movie into a big flashy funny Hollywood blockbuster and it's that they've been chasing ever since. The tone in T3 was so awful but its roots can be traced to T2 even though it was obviously handled so much better in 2. Same with Genysis. And from the looks of this, same with this movie too.

As you say, they have never really earned huge money so maybe chasing the huge Hollywood blockbuster is the wrong idea and they need to remember where it all started and deliver a new pared-back, tight, small, tense movie.

Comment

Pure spitballing but if I was to try and launch a third film off the back of the horror T1 and action T2 I'd be tempted to go with a thriller T3 that works from the assumption that though the records and samples at Cyberdyne were destroyed in T2 they still left the minds of the other scientists that worked with Miles Dyson, the film could effectively follow one of these scientists as their work years later begins to build towards Skynet and re-establishing Judgment Day and involves lots of shady goings on at Cyberdyne like you get in political thrillers and the such. It could naturally lead to a Terminator arriving from the future and would explain Sarah Connor's involvement but would be a full role reversal of the previous two films, showing a Skynet operated T-800 attempting to protect the main character who is responsible for Judgment Day and protecting them from the films 'villain' Sarah Connor

Comment

Yep, there are ideas in there. That would at least place the Terminator on the right side. While I did think it was a great twist to T2 that Arnie was the good guy, it was a twist of the idea rather than being core to the series. Becoming the default was a real stretch after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                            Pure spitballing but if I was to try and launch a third film off the back of the horror T1 and action T2 I'd be tempted to go with a thriller T3 that works from the assumption that though the records and samples at Cyberdyne were destroyed in T2 they still left the minds of the other scientists that worked with Miles Dyson, the film could effectively follow one of these scientists as their work years later begins to build towards Skynet and re-establishing Judgment Day and involves lots of shady goings on at Cyberdyne like you get in political thrillers and the such. It could naturally lead to a Terminator arriving from the future and would explain Sarah Connor's involvement but would be a full role reversal of the previous two films, showing a Skynet operated T-800 attempting to protect the main character who is responsible for Judgment Day and protecting them from the films 'villain' Sarah Connor
                            I quite like that.

There's a lot of negativity towards this trailer, it seems.

If you had to come up with an elevator pitch like Supes did, that pleases the fans, what is your idea?

You can post a silly one, but only if you post a serious one too!

Comment

I actually really like that idea [MENTION=345]Superman Falls[/MENTION]

The people who saw full scenes at cinemacon are noting that the trailer is misrepresenting what they saw, and really the trailer is a poor VFX show reel.

Problem is no one cares when they basically show you oh yeah look what this new advanced terminator can do.

Comment

The irony again that the new Terminator is so close to the T-X from T3

Comment

Working...
                                X