PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
    Its my fault I should of checked it all properly, i saw atx and atx and assumed it would fit as it has a good amount of space in the case, but doesn’t fit atx mobos.
    I would recommend checking average sizes of GPUs before you decide on case size, rather than basing it on form factor.
    The average 3080 is the width and length of an average family car.

Comment

There's quite a bit of space in the 280 - it won't fit all 3080 cards so you will need to check, max length and height of 300mm (bear in mind you'll need to squeeze in the PSU connectors too).

Comment

Year its quite a big matx case, also like ill ever get hold of a 3080 card ☹️

Comment

Can't decide between a Ryzen 5600x or 5800x, it doesn't seem like ill get enough out the 5800x, I'm not processing video and never will, plenty of Lightroom, InDesign, illustrator & photoshop though. I just don't see me touching the 5800x?

Comment

Might be worth it longer term (perhaps) but I'm completely happy with the performance of my 5600X. Amazing chip for the money, especially right now.

Comment

Get the 5600 now, when the prices fall and AMD releases the last revision of the AM3 line, get whatever processor is at the top.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                Get the 5600 now, when the prices fall and AMD releases the last revision of the AM3 line, get whatever processor is at the top.
                Hmm, can't really recommend any AM3 CPUs, not even the last revision chip - they were all garbage

The R5 5600X will be more than enough for gaming and by the time you need to replace it, we'll probably be at the 3rd revision of the AM5 socket CPUs the first of which is due later this year.

Comment

I just don’t see me touching the 5800x plus the 5600x draws a fair bit less power on average, year think that seals it for the 5600x then.

Oh i went for the Asus Tuf b550m in the end, seems like a decent well rounded mobo with everything I need. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08...b_b_asin_title

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                    Hmm, can't really recommend any AM3 CPUs, not even the last revision chip - they were all garbage
                    AM3, AM4, same thing :P

Comment

Put it together today and its up and running. Need to adjust the ram speed as thats only showing at 3200 odd when it should be running at 3600. Otherwise hardware seems to all be fine.

Will be getting windows on it this week and get creative suite loaded up again then all my files.

Really pleased with the build and thanks to everyone with advice in the part compatibility.

Now to somehow get a graphics card for rrp, i know stop sniggering.

Comment

Have you had a look at the XMP profiles in the bios for the Ram speed?

Comment

Didn’t have time unfortunately i got to the point of turning it on for the first time and nothing went poof then had to get home. Might go in tomorrow so will check it out then.

Comment

Hmmmm mobo wont detect the nvme drive. I’ve checked the drive itself on the ps5 as its functioning just fine. Updated the mobo, changed the suggested settings and still nothing, it can’t have 2 faulty m.2 slots on it so must be something else?

Very annoying.
                            Last edited by fishbowlhead; 20-03-2022, 11:09.

Comment

I doubt the mobo is faulty. Are you sure you're seating it properly? The slot nearest the CPU uses the CPU controller, the second slot uses the chipset, the NVME gen 4 will only work in the first slot on that board. Is it not showing in the BIOS screens at all?
                              Last edited by MartyG; 20-03-2022, 11:44.

Comment

Year I doubt the mobo is actually faulty as its booting just into bios otherwise and detecting everything else just fine. Tried it in both slots and nothing, i did have it in the bottom slot at first, re read the mobo manual and realised that was incorrect and put it in the top, still nothing, its got me stumped.
                                Last edited by fishbowlhead; 20-03-2022, 12:30.

Comment

Working...
                                X