PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
    Well, Digital Foundry did a video of this. And a 4090 rig was needed to get it with all the bells and whistles.
    A lower 3060 can run it, but a ps5 at 60? No chance.
    Fudge.

Comment

Yeah, another reason why I want a PC.

Comment

I could get a 4090 but i just don’t need it in my work pc to justify the expense, rest of the system is more than man enough, oh well.

Comment

I'm not getting a 4090. Can't justify the price. A 3080, or even a 3060 will do the job in most cases. Still punching above the new consoles. For what I'd be playing and using it for.

Comment

Dreamy, pastel-coloured, clearly inspired by Rhythm Tengoku loveliness. Works great on the Deck.

Coming to Switch later too, but I just ran through most of it today and enjoyed it greatly.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
              Surely that would run at 60fps on consoles with rtx on? I’d go through that again for sure.
              Just to be pedantic yet again, and I'm sure you already know this because I think it's the ninth time I've mentioned it, but RTX ON is basically the flex term for Nvidia's entire suite of embellishments, usually running all at once for an immersion overload on the visual senses. There's a LOT going on in those screens; shadows, reflections, refractions, diffuse... probably more (I've not watched the DF thing). The consoles can only really struggle to push AMD/Lidl catch-up RT lighting, and maybe RT shadows at the same time, but they're certainly getting there. Maybe next gen. Come 2028 or whenever, for anyone that's never sampled full-fat Nvidia RTX before it's going to be a big deal. Lots of people will be replaying CP2077 again, that's for sure.

In other news, I'm a bit gutted at how The Witcher 3's next-gen update got rolled out. It turns out Global Illumination isn't the saving grace I once thought, as my existing heavily modded sans-RTX installation looks about seventeen times better, and also runs at a steady 90-100FPS. Apparently, they're running the DX11 version of the game in a DX12 wrapper or something, as a massive shortcut attempt (as opposed to having to rebuild the entire game from scratch, I guess?). All versions, including PC, are effectively a port of the old PC version. :/

Comment

Toss a coin to your Witcher. I don't think it looks too bad, and it's also a free update. It was a bit janky running Ultra RT at 4K, but knock it down to 1440P and it's stable enough and not dropping frames.

Comment

Not really sure why so much has been made about the Witcher update, it's a bit like when GTAV gets an update. It makes a small improvement but it's incredibly far from really changing anything, it's still very plainly a PS4 era game. Companies need to stop re-polishing their old stuff and crack on getting something new out

Comment

There's an absolutely massive difference in the lighting with the RT shadows and anything near water, but unless you ran them side by side you'd might not think it as the textures haven't received a similar uplift in treatment. The PS4/Xbox versions ran at 30 FPS, and made the combat feel very laggy.

Comment

I've seen a few comparison vids and it's noticeable but doesn't seem to really make a massive difference. Though I imagine a lot of that is that the underlying game is just fundamentally old now and like dave says, modders have run rings around the game for years now in terms of wringing out visual results. I know I'm being grumpy though, it's just feels like a depressing reflection that a wonkily put together patch for a 7 year old last gen game has again received so much attention thanks to a void of worthwhile notable games for a generation that still can't be arsed to get started even though the machines are sailing to their mid-life. I really do worry if I'm going to grow too pessimistic on gaming if next year pans out as a dud again. Maybe Avatar 2 isn't a decade late, maybe I'm perpetually trapped in 2013 like a gaming Bill Murray

Comment

Yes, you are - I suggest doing a 365-Day Challenge

There are no modders doing patches on PS5 and Xbox, and the Witcher 3 remains one of the best games released in the generation. There's only so much that can be done with the assets - I'm sure that if this was a paid-for mod, there'd be way more man-hours in it. The PC gremlins will be sorted (and actually it was running stable on my rig for what it's worth), so the improved lighting is worth the price being asked for it IMO.

Comment

I think even without RT at 60 on the ps5 it looks much better.
                          With RT the frame pacing is all over the place. If it was a steady 30 I'd play it.

Comment

It does look pretty great now. Makes me nostalgic for playing it through on release. I bought a PS4 for that game and it was 100% worth it. So much fun. As a big TES fan I remember thinking, wow, TES VI is really going to have its work cut out to beat this. I didn't think we'd still be waiting for the next big Bethesda RPG nearly ten years and a generation shift later!

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post

Quite a bit lower from me but it's still a decent improvement over stock (9283). What I'm most impressed by is power draw. The card doesn't exceed 170W during this benchmark, or 180W with the 8K one and during Cyberpunk it seems to rarely exceed 150W. The FE power limit is 200 for this card, and can be knocked up to 220W via Afterburner. Card was running around 60c during this too, though it is a bit colder today.

As Dave did this I thought I would too. Pretty much the same for me (newer CPU though) and I mined enough eth to pay for the card.

I've run the same undervolt until this day, rock solid.
                              Last edited by speedlolita; 18-12-2022, 14:53.

Comment

Indeed. I can’t even remember any GPU crashes/BSoDs across the two years. Maybe one or two?

Comment

Working...
                                X