No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends if you're happy sticking with 1080P60 on med settings and no RT. The GTX 1080 is 7 years old now, it isn't going to compete in modern gaming at high-res, high-detail, high-refresh rates in AAA games.

Decent card, but I had to replace mine after trying to run Cyberpunk 2077 on it.

Comment

I definitely won't claim I would be happy as I've changed cards twice since then but (disclaimer being the other components change results) I've seen Youtube test vis with 2022 games like Dying Light 2 and Elden Ring running at either medium or high settings outputting at 1440p at pretty much 60fps and that's definitely great output. RTX is something that still feels disposable. It can look good, but the number of games that truly benefit from it are still count on one hand in number so given the prices we've seen since the 1080 came out it's almost been a god send that realtime requirements haven't progressed that much. If you weren't able to upgrade for a long time it's been a manageable run, kind of highlighting another area where it may have contributed to the GPU sales crash. The extended delay in next gen software is really keeping those old cards in step

Comment

I'm new to the PC world. But from what I've been playing around with, 1440/60 with DLSS is the way to go. DLSS is far more effective than RTX.

Comment

DLSS is a funny one as whilst it's amazing it is also an example of Nvidia putting something out that is counter-intuitive to trying to sell more powerful cards. On paper it makes sense, it can help hit those RTX goals faster, but in practice it just extended the lifespans of the on market cards by quite a bit. In theory they should be diving into development of the RTX50XX series now but really, there's just no need.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            DLSS is a funny one as whilst it's amazing it is also an example of Nvidia putting something out that is counter-intuitive to trying to sell more powerful cards. On paper it makes sense, it can help hit those RTX goals faster, but in practice it just extended the lifespans of the on market cards by quite a bit. In theory they should be diving into development of the RTX50XX series now but really, there's just no need.
            That's true. Between DLSS, graphics settings and mods, not to mention that it out performs current gen consoles, you can probably expect the get a decade out of a 3080.

Comment

Would the current crop of top end cards achieve RTX at decent frame rates without DLSS?

edit. sorry that was supposed to be "without dlss".
              Last edited by fishbowlhead; 03-01-2023, 14:28.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                Would the current crop of top end cards achieve RTX at decent frame rates with DLSS?
                Depends.
                I've got a 3080 and I can max out Control with RTX at 1440/60 with DLSS. No problem.

Cyberpunk2077 on the other hand, runs like a dog with RTX, although I've read the last update has caused issues.
                Probably depends on the engine and how well it's optimised by the development team.

But the 3080 will basically cake walk most games that don't have RTX. And I suspect it will do for a good few years.

Comment

My nephew was given a 42" LG OLED TV for his 18th to use as a gaming monitor. Lucky laddie I know. He's a sim racer and mainly into iRacing and Assetto Corsa Competizione. His rig is about a year old with (IIRC) a 6 core Ryzen 3 5600G, RTX3060 12GB GPU, 16GB RAM and a NVME SSD. I'm a bit concerned that isn't going to be enough to get things running at 4k 120fps though. I suppose he could just leave it outputting 1080p and chase the frames but it almost seems a bit of a waste. Would bumping up the RAM or maybe trying to see if his board supports a 5800X3D be a worthwhile upgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                    I've seen Youtube test vis with 2022 games like Dying Light 2 and Elden Ring running at either medium or high settings outputting at 1440p at pretty much 60fps and that's definitely great output.
                    Maybe in certain areas of the game, but you're not going to get a constant 60 on a GTX 1080 when things get busy in that title at 1440P. A Ti might handle it better, still good life in that card.

There is still plenty of demand for high-end cards. RTX 4090 and RX 7900 XTX are rare as hen's teeth. The RTX 4080 is struggling with the more expensive 3rd party cards, which aren't good value compared to the 4090 and the XT isn't worth it when the XTX is only £100 more.

There was always going to be a slump in sales for cards generally when crypto mining was the reason for a massive increase in sales which is now all but dead and there are no 4060 cards about yet. The 4060 will sell out as soon as it hits the shelves later this year, used prices of the 30XX have increased in price recently.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                      Would bumping up the RAM or maybe trying to see if his board supports a 5800X3D be a worthwhile upgrade?
                      No, it's not going to get you 4K120, if that's the reason for doing so. Assetto Corsa Competizione is a hard game to run maxed even on my rig at 4K120 (R9 7950 + RTX 4080). The R5 5600G and RTX 3060 are a good pairing IMO.
                      Last edited by MartyG; 03-01-2023, 15:21.

Comment

Cheers Marty. I’ll get the screen up on the wall today and aim for 1080p with 120fps as the priority. I think the LG VRR support includes the nVidia variety so it’ll hide any dips with a bit of luck.

Comment

Not played cyberpunk but wasn’t metro exodus touted as the game to sell us ray tracing? Because I bought that to try out my 6800xt and thought it was as nothing special graphically. I mean it looked great but I didn’t look at it and think ah, ray tracing has made this possible. On the plus side my non nvidia card did its job.

I need a new cpu really. R5 3600 eek, but trying to hold out for a ddr5 rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                            Cheers Marty. I’ll get the screen up on the wall today and aim for 1080p with 120fps as the priority. I think the LG VRR support includes the nVidia variety so it’ll hide any dips with a bit of luck.
                            I had a look at the game again last night and there is DLSS 2.0 support there, so it might be worth trying that to get to 4K. I mostly play the game in VR with a wheel (and you need a wheel with this game) and it's not a great performer in VR.

I'd forgotten how clunky this game is. The racing itself is decent, it's just everything else around it that makes it a nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                              I had a look at the game again last night and there is DLSS 2.0 support there, so it might be worth trying that to get to 4K. I mostly play the game in VR with a wheel (and you need a wheel with this game) and it's not a great performer in VR.

I'd forgotten how clunky this game is. The racing itself is decent, it's just everything else around it that makes it a nightmare.
                              The wee man has a lovely Fanatec setup and a racing seat / cockpit thingy. It’s just he’s not very PC literate. He was talking about getting a VR headset for iRacing but I wasn’t sure his rig was up to it and how comfortable it would be when he’s doing endurance races with his team. We’ve been to the VR racing place in Glasgow a few times and it’s great fun but it’s only short stints.

Comment

Dell showcases Nyx, its concept controller aimed to be the ultimate controller

Which:
                                A-Just looks like a Series X controller
                                B-Has no tactile Dpad
                                C-Immediately fails regardless as the left analogue is in the wrong position

Comment

Working...
                                X