No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPDATE 25/02/2015: Nvidia boss Jen-Hsun Huang has issued a statement on the controversy surrounding the company's GTX 9…

Eurogamer reports on and discusses the emerging abd growing issue Nvidia is having over the GTX970

Comment

I'm going to try and play a few old games on my tablet and may investigate Steam. I don't know much about it, other than it was named after the East 17 song.

Windows 8: despised at launch by gamers, written off by Valve's Gabe Newell as a catastrophe for PC gaming. It was the …

I had a look at Roller Coaster Tycoon. If I buy it, can I install it on multiple devices or just one? Also, if the game used to easily fit on a CD-ROM, why is it telling me I need 2Gb of hard drive space?

Also, is there anywhere I can play No One Lives Forever?
      Last edited by QualityChimp; 23-02-2015, 15:45. Reason: Added link to "Steam", because I know you want to listen to it.

Comment

It's cheap on GOG.com at the moment. No DRM, if that's important to you.

No One Lives Forever is in licensing limbo, I'm afraid.

Comment

For more information, please click here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=153305912This information and the attached video is the result of years...

Gameplay footage released of the cancelled Climax project from a few years back, Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBN8...layer_embedded

Gameplay footage released of the cancelled Climax project from a few years back, Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun
            Whoa, there was no garuantee that it would turn out good but it looks in a pretty advanced development stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuteros View Post
              It's cheap on GOG.com at the moment. No DRM, if that's important to you.

No One Lives Forever is in licensing limbo, I'm afraid.
              Thanks, Deuteros!

Clicked it, signed up, bought it!

Roller Coaster Tycoon is one of the best games I've ever played. I'm concerned my time will evaporate when I start playing it again!

It's a shame about NOLF. I know Activision no longer have the rights and Night Dive Studios (System Shock 2 update) have got them, but they don't seem to be doing anything with them. I wonder if I can install it on my Win 7 laptop with compatibility mode as I still have the disc?

After seeing Kingsman: The Secret Service, I had an urge to play this again. Such a great game. I remember vividly one section where you're supposed to kill two guards, but as you approach, one starts talking about how he's helping "me old mum" and I didn't have the heart to take them down!

EDIT: I just skimmed through that Legacy of Kane video and the game was looking pretty good, especially the flying sections. I feel really bad for the people making it who came in to work on weekends when the higher-ups already knew it was cancelled.

Double-EDIT: What was that PC game with giant robots that you piloted and there were sections where you were on foot. It had a Macross feel, but was its own story. It was called R.O.D. or something like that.

Triple-EDIT: I'm disappointed you lot didn't know the answer as I've had a really unproductive morning trying to remember - SHOGO - Mobile Armour Division!
              Last edited by QualityChimp; 24-02-2015, 09:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...e-conduct-blog

Eurogamer reports on and discusses the emerging abd growing issue Nvidia is having over the GTX970
                nVidia bosses explanation/apology

Hey everyone,
                Some of you are disappointed that we didn't clearly describe the segmented memory of GeForce GTX 970 when we launched it. I can see why, so let me address it.
                We invented a new memory architecture in Maxwell. This new capability was created so that reduced-configurations of Maxwell can have a larger framebuffer - i.e., so that GTX 970 is not limited to 3GB, and can have an additional 1GB.
                GTX 970 is a 4GB card. However, the upper 512MB of the additional 1GB is segmented and has reduced bandwidth. This is a good design because we were able to add an additional 1GB for GTX 970 and our software engineers can keep less frequently used data in the 512MB segment.
                Unfortunately, we failed to communicate this internally to our marketing team, and externally to reviewers at launch.
                Since then, Jonah Alben, our senior vice president of hardware engineering, provided a technical description of the design, which was captured well by several editors. Here's one example from The Tech Report.
                Instead of being excited that we invented a way to increase memory of the GTX 970 from 3GB to 4GB, some were disappointed that we didn't better describe the segmented nature of the architecture for that last 1GB of memory.
                This is understandable. But, let me be clear: Our only intention was to create the best GPU for you. We wanted GTX 970 to have 4GB of memory, as games are using more memory than ever.
                The 4GB of memory on GTX 970 is used and useful to achieve the performance you are enjoying. And as ever, our engineers will continue to enhance game performance that you can regularly download using GeForce Experience.
                This new feature of Maxwell should have been clearly detailed from the beginning.
                We won't let this happen again. We'll do a better job next time.

Jen-Hsun

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  It's a shame about NOLF. I know Activision no longer have the rights and Night Dive Studios (System Shock 2 update) have got them, but they don't seem to be doing anything with them. I wonder if I can install it on my Win 7 laptop with compatibility mode as I still have the disc?
                  Worth a try via DOSBox - take a look a D-Fend Reloaded as it makes things easier: http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/

Comment

Thanks MartyG.

Comment

Not sure you'd need to use DOSBox for NOLF, used to install just fine on my XP machine. It isn't that old after all.

Comment

Thanks Speedy.

I'll have a look when I get chance and feedback my results!

Comment

It's about 15 years old, I remember getting it with an ancient GFX card. No harm in trying it native though.

Edit - this might prove useful, seems with a couple of tweaks it runs well enough: http://www.play-old-pc-games.com/201...lives-forever/
                          Last edited by MartyG; 25-02-2015, 15:54.

Comment

Ah, see, I had the GOTY Edition release before. That seems to install on 64bit no problem according to that link.

Comment

Unreal Engine 4 is now free for anyone to develop on, Epic Games has announced.So how's Epic going to make money on thi…

Epic has revealed that Unreal Engine 4 is now free to develop on. Instead of a fee, devs will now pay a percentage on any title sales made using the engine

Comment

Surprise! Horror game Five Nights at Freddy's 3 launched last night.Scott Cawthon's sequel is available to buy from Ste…

Five Nights at Freddy's 3 is now for sale

Comment

Working...
                                X