No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be aware that those are QLC, I actually found the Crucial P3 Plus (also QLC but is half the price of the Sabrent) to be faster, at least in my PC (I have a 4TB P3 Plus which is great for the asking price). The P5 Plus is TLC.

Edit: seems the linked drive is a TLC, it's the Q4 that's the QLC (so be careful, they look very similar).
    Last edited by MartyG; 19-05-2023, 17:37.

Comment

Does Crucial even do the 2230 form factor though? Haven't seen any.

Comment

Ah, that's 2230 too - I was wondering how you'd fitted it - sorry, completely missed that. And no they don't, so I'd probably grab that drive at that price (and the P3 Plus if you're putting it in a bigger NVME slot).
        Last edited by MartyG; 19-05-2023, 17:45.

Comment

Coming to PC in July... Super fast SSD optional then...

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
            https://blog.playstation.com/2023/05...pc-on-july-26/

OMG! that's great news and even better the port has Nixxes name on it, they did the last two Tomb Raiders which were both solid.

Comment

Hopefully it'll be a better port than the last few ones.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                Hopefully it'll be a better port than the last few ones.
                Do you mean games they have ported or R&C games in general?

Comment

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/05...pc-on-july-26/

I’d be very surprised if hdd’s are even supported, seeing as that was the whole point for load times. It’s going to look f*****g mental with ray tracing though, looks good enough as it is, was playing this the other night.

Comment

Well we already know the fast speed of the PS5 isn't required as digital foundry did all that analysis before running off 3rd party drives...

It won't really run on mechanical drives very well but I'm sure it'll run on lower spec SSD then what the were pretending to be a necessity for the tech at launch.

Comment

Originally posted by huxley View Post
                      Do you mean games they have ported or R&C games in general?
                      I mean the last PS to PC ports recently, like The Last Of Us, which had very poor optmisation.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                        I mean the last PS to PC ports recently, like The Last Of Us, which had very poor optmisation.
                        fingers crossed :-)

Comment

Well we already know the fast speed of the PS5 isn't required as digital foundry did all that analysis before running off 3rd party drives...

It won't really run on mechanical drives very well but I'm sure it'll run on lower spec SSD then what the were pretending to be a necessity for the tech at launch.
                          You still need a decent speed gen4 ssd though regardless, might not need PS5 equivalent on PC, but you can brute force things on a PC in ways that PS5/SeriesX just can’t.

Anyhow, remember to buy your copies PC kiddies, otherwise you won’t get another port if it flops sales wise.

Comment

It will probably dump much of the code into the Vram to speed things up; like certain assets and shades, and just call them when required.
                            Have the said the minimum specs?

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                              You still need a decent speed gen4 ssd though regardless, might not need PS5 equivalent on PC, but you can brute force things on a PC in ways that PS5/SeriesX just can’t.

Anyhow, remember to buy your copies PC kiddies, otherwise you won’t get another port if it flops sales wise.

This was DF going into detail using one of the slowest compatible gen4 drives that would be accepted by the PS5... Guess what, it works fine.

On PC we've no idea whether they've allowed other tech compatibility (they mention some high memory buffer in the video that the PS5 doesn't use)... or whether the game itself has been modified to be more compatible on slower drives.

The test in this video at least proves even in original form it didn't actually need the full speed of the onboard ssd in the PS5 and it was all just Sony PR guff.

Comment

https://youtu.be/zWQs4UpiKlg

This was DF going into detail using one of the slowest compatible gen4 drives that would be accepted by the PS5... Guess what, it works fine.

On PC we've no idea whether they've allowed other tech compatibility (they mention some high memory buffer in the video that the PS5 doesn't use)... or whether the game itself has been modified to be more compatible on slower drives.

The test in this video at least proves even in original form it didn't actually need the full speed of the onboard ssd in the PS5 and it was all just Sony PR guff.
                                Most games aren't streaming graphics data straight from the SSD anyway, and R&C will have been no different. It'll have cached most of the assets into the GDDR6 ram and called it when needed. It probably has some clever way of preloading that data quickly from the SSD to the Ram just before it'd needed (which is were an SSD is required, to pass that data quicker than a HDD), but I don't believe it'll have been streaming the graphics direct from the SSD anyway, which is why DF could use a slower SSD and have no problems. On PC it'll take advantage of the VRAM to do the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X