No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure what caching they were doing on PS5, or whether they could get away with not doing any pre-load on the internal drive, given the speed.

All I do know is they made it sound that way in all their pre-release BS statements when in reality it didn't need the full speed available.

It'll be interesting to see if they've changed anything on PC to cater for the wider variance in hardware. Nixxes have had a fairly good track record though as a whole PS studios ports have been mixed this far... The Last of Us still isn't great and I remember Horizon Zero Dawn taking ages to get to a decent state. On the flip side Spiderman and God of War were pretty great right out of the gate.

Comment

PC Gaming Show 2023 had a pretty good showing: https://www.pcgamer.com/pc-gaming-show-2023-watch/

Not sure about the "comedy AI" presentation aspect of it, but there was a lot of gaming content shown (actual show starts at 43 minutes in).

Last edited by MartyG; 12-06-2023, 08:18.

Comment

I bought a 4070 as an upgrade to my 3060 Ti... And I'm not entirely sure that was the best idea.

3060 Ti has a new home in the girlfriend's PC so that works out. Had I bought used I think I could have gotten better value for money - like a 3080/3090.

Comment

I bought a new pre build for the office that’s coming with a 4070ti, so that will be going in my system and I’ll be putting my rx6600 in that system.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
            I bought a 4070 as an upgrade to my 3060 Ti... And I'm not entirely sure that was the best idea.

3060 Ti has a new home in the girlfriend's PC so that works out. Had I bought used I think I could have gotten better value for money - like a 3080/3090.
            You can pickup 3090s for £700 now. If you want the VRAM, then they are an interesting proposition. What you gain with the 4070 is the DLSS3.0 (and future iterations of it) and the lower power usage. Those 3090s like the watts.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
              You can pickup 3090s for £700 now. If you want the VRAM, then they are an interesting proposition. What you gain with the 4070 is the DLSS3.0 (and future iterations of it) and the lower power usage. Those 3090s like the watts.
              Indeed, and I probably would have done if I wasn't running a 7 year old 650W PSU. The cost of a used card + a new (decent) power supply was a little beyond what I was prepared to spend. On the plus side with a quick undervolt I've gotten this 4070 down to 170W of power draw when running superposition, down 10% from stock.

Comment

Steam Next Fest is on at the moment, which means a whole load of future indie games to try demos of.

Steam Next Fest is a week-long celebration featuring hundreds of FREE playable demos as well as developer livestreams and chats. Players try out upcoming games on Steam pre-release, developers gather feedback and build an audience ahead of their Steam launch, everyone wins!

There are normally some interesting titles in there.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                  Steam Next Fest is on at the moment, which means a whole load of future indie games to try demos of.

Steam Next Fest is a week-long celebration featuring hundreds of FREE playable demos as well as developer livestreams and chats. Players try out upcoming games on Steam pre-release, developers gather feedback and build an audience ahead of their Steam launch, everyone wins!

There are normally some interesting titles in there.
                  Can you review this?
                  HAELE 3D - Feet Poser is an easy to use foot anatomy drawing reference tool for the artist, with a wide palette of detailed options and animations to create the feet you need be it highly realistic or stylized. Change poses, lighting, materials, colors and many more.

Comment

It's a Souls-like according to the description, I'll need to git gud first.

I don't think I'm going to get much of a YouTube video out of it.
                    Last edited by MartyG; 19-06-2023, 21:54.

Comment

Ordered a 5800X3D earlier. Because... Um, why not?

Also a "Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE". A chunky £40 beast that competes with the NH-D15.

Comment

New pc turned up today with the 4070ti. Holy crap these things are mahoosive, it’s comically big.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                          New pc turned up today with the 4070ti. Holy crap these things are mahoosive, it’s comically big.
                          Which one is it, if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Fishbowl, I hope you didn't buy a new 4070ti partly for Starfield(?)...

You think console-exclusivity is bad? Starfield is AMD-sponsored. Which probably (99.998% likely) means crappy console-esque RT implementation with no DLSS support in a big middle finger move to Nvidia owners, and in fact anyone hoping for reasonable performance under a low power draw. ****ing yay..

I was going to wait for it to hit €20 during a 2024/2025 sale. I could end up not playing it at all.
                            Last edited by dataDave; 27-06-2023, 21:21.

Comment

A 7000 series with FSR3 will might run it OK.
                              Anyone with a 30xx nvidia is going to have a bad time. But hey its not like the 3060ti is the most popular card or anything.

Comment

****ing hilarious how these people can stare into a camera and repeatedly state, with huge smiles, being "super-excited" about hampering their game with cat-**** tech.

Does FSR3 even exist yet? Howard only mentions FSR2. You'd think the Starfield launch would have been a good time to release it, but evidently not.

Comment

Working...
                                X