No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My only concern is being forced to use FSR. Starfield on my 3080 is going to need all the help it can get, so having FSR rammed up means heavy artifacting and dithering aliasing.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
      Which one is it, if you don't mind me asking?
      It’s a Palit, which on some research seem absolutely fine as far as 4070ti’s are concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
        It’s a Palit, which on some research seem absolutely fine as far as 4070ti’s are concerned.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Palit-RTX40...s%2C131&sr=8-2
        Oh yeah Palit are absolutely fine. I was just wondering regarding the size of the cooler. That is indeed a thicc example! Bet the temps are great.

Comment

It is indeed a thick daddy of a card and just fits in my case to be honest with 1 inch to spare by the looks of measuring it, but it will fit.

[MENTION=1482]dataDave[/MENTION], no i probably won’t bother with starfield to be honest until it’s running on a console at 60, so next gen then. I got the card as I needed another decent pc for the office, this prebuilt came with a 4070, and was £30 to upgrade it to a ti, so was a no brainier. That system doesn’t need the 4070ti so it will be going in my system when I get time.

Comment

DLSS is the superior upscaling and AMD really is being anti-consumer locking these technologies out of titles it sponsors.

It doesn't even benefit them to do so, given it makes them look like assholes.

Comment

The reviews have dropped for the RTX 4060, and they're generally negative.

I'm not 100% sure I completely get it though. It's faster than the RTX 3060, it's cheaper than the RTX 3060, it supports DLSS3 and AV1 encoding and it's more power efficient - and plenty faster than the RTX 2060 (inflation-adjusted would be £400) which is the most likely candidate for upgrades (you probably don't need to bother upgrading from a RTX 3060 unless you must have the additional features).

Whilst NVIDIA definitely doesn't get a pass for only giving it 8GB of VRAM, some of the YouTube media (like PC Masterrace Hardware Unboxed in particular) is starting to sound a little bit entitled tbh - L00k!!11! They don't run 4K much better**

NVIDIA is out to make money, that's why they (and every other corporation) exist - you, the consumer, have the option not to buy it - and if they don't sell, then the lack of demand will bring the price down as per market tolerances. The margins on these cards are going to be tiny for the third-party manufacturers even at £299 I'd imagine (given NVIDIA sells them the chipsets) on these low-end cards, so I don't doubt they're getting squeezed at both ends.

The RX 7600 has had a further price drop as a result and potentially might be a better buy - I'd personally wait, because given the reviews, they'll probably sit on shelves longer, but at £299, I don't think it's completely outrageous if you're upgrading from two or more generations ago given the uplift in performance. The only other thing to keep in mind here is that these are running on PCIe x8, not x16.

**Why would you buy an RTX 4060 with the expectations of running games at 4K?
              Last edited by MartyG; 28-06-2023, 17:40.

Comment

I think the Vram is the main concern. New consoles have around 10gb in available 'Vram' once the UI and other things are taken into account. I'd mean your new flashy card has less than a PlayStation 5. PC master race aren't going to like that.
                That said, I've got 12gb Vram and I'm glad I do.

Comment

It's not as big of a deal as is being made out unless you're running at higher resolutions with max settings, it really isn't - the vast vast vast vast vast majority of games run well over 60 FPS at 1080P at high/ultra settings with these cards. Would the card be better with more VRAM, sure, of course it would. Would it still be £300? Absolutely not. I'd definitely recommend a 12GB/16GB card for mid and high-end builds, but if you're aiming for that, you're going to be wanting to play at high res / high framerates - so you buy appropriately.

You're still going to be in a better position with an RTX 4060 than the RTX 2060 you're upgrading from, so I don't think the harsh "it's DOA" criticisms are really completely warranted (I'll refer again to Influencer Entitlement). I think most people upgrading from RTX 2060 will be perfectly happy with their upgrade.

The problem is now everyone is jumping on this whole "8GB" hype train for the clicks it seems to me, that it'll become internet true - there is an upshot to this though, it does seem to be impacting the value of used cards with limited VRAM (cards that could make for a bargain low to mid-end builds).

I think this gives a far better real-world review of the card showing it being used as people buying this card would actually use it including the "unplayable on 8GB cards" Hogwarts Legacy (not that you should be buying that game anyway ).

Last edited by MartyG; 28-06-2023, 20:16.

Comment

So its a perfect card for 1440p and under, running at high settings, sounds like it’s priced appropriately then to be honest.

It will probably be a very popular card in pre-builds for a few years to come and a decent all rounder along with its TI variant.

Comment

DF analysis of the 4060, compared to a 3060.
                      'No clear winner here' is the round up. Except for the power efficiency of the 4060. Means you can easily upgrade to it with a reasonable PSU without worrying about it overloading.

Comment

There was more to their analysis than just that.

As they stated, games going forward that take advantage of the extra features are what will be more important, this is where you'll start to see the performance gap widen between those two cards. I don't think it's worth upgrading from an RTX 3060 to a 4060, so I think DF did a good job of covering the card without the hysteria we've seen elsewhere.

Comment

So after so many years I finally got the chance to upgrade the GPU and decided on this 4060 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...KL5A1OLE&psc=1

It was really swings and roundabouts on deciding but in the end for me its not a bad price only being a bit more then a 3060 but also the fact that i would not have to upgrade my power supply to, my current gpu is a 1070 and was really showing its age the past few years

Comment

If you have Amazon Prime, some free PC stuff for July 2023

July 6 - Cook, Serve, Delicious 3
                            July 13 - Nairi: Tower of Shirin
                            July 20 - Wytchwood
                            July 27 - Lunar Axe

Comment

So i got the 4060 today and a bit of testing and ....I dunno part of the problem is many games that i were playing when installing the new hardware decided to bump the quality settings and while the performance was better not really going to be cranking everything to Max, Ray tracing the performance hit was still to much, I am going to fiddle around with the DLSS settings to see how that helps. Though i know my rig as a whole is not the most modern a 8086k 6 core cpu so might be limiting everything

I had my old AOC 144hz monitor g-sync set up to just to try but tbh many games even at 1080p would not go much above 60fps at higher settings

One of my Major irks in many games was the Shader compilation Stutter issue which frankly is happening in way to many games
                              Last edited by eastyy; 06-07-2023, 13:51.

Comment

Shader compilation is not a hardware issue but a software one - you get it on 4090s as well.

Your CPU is almost certainly a bottleneck, you should be able to crank max settings at 1080P in most games with that card. RT will likely need the help of DLSS, but again, this is still the same on higher-end cards too.

Comment

Working...
                                X