PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
    Shader compilation is not a hardware issue but a software one - you get it on 4090s as well.

Your CPU is almost certainly a bottleneck, you should be able to crank max settings at 1080P in most games with that card. RT will likely need the help of DLSS, but again, this is still the same on higher-end cards too.
    Weird thing was messing around with DLSS but seems to be lowering the frame rates quite a lot.

well my next upgrade will be a Ryzen set up as more cores would be great for music and video rendering

Though one thing i forgot about was to disable G-sync as it just struck me some games have issues with the older hardware
    Last edited by eastyy; 06-07-2023, 14:06.

Comment

Because your CPU is bottlenecking - the CPU has to feed the card, and it won't be able to keep up.

Your CPU vs mine ...

Are you running dual-channel high-speed RAM?

Comment

Can you spare a few cores Lol

No definitely not high speed ram lol
        Last edited by eastyy; 06-07-2023, 14:22.

Comment

A 7950X is probably not the best match with a 4060, but the modern 6C12T 7600X will give a decent uplift, although I'm not 100% happy with the stability of the AM5 platform tbh - DDR5 is very finicky I'm finding at the ideal 6000MT. The 5800X3D will beat the single-thread performance of my chip in some instances - you might find it a better gaming CPU and the mobos are far cheaper (don't ask how much I paid for the ASUS Hero X670E) and likely more stable. Still available new for around £250, which frankly is astonishing value for the performance you get from it.

Comment

Yeah in the end i cannot really complain as the 8086k i got was something i won in a sweepstakes years ago basically a higher clocked 8700k 6c, if upgrading i would probably go for a 8 core ryzen, though really with my current set up i could improve things a bit with some faster Ram

Comment

Yes, I remember. RAM can impact performance as well if you're not running dual channel - speed not quite as important on that era Intel as it is on Ryzen, but a single channel setup will have an adverse effect on gaming performance on both.

Comment

The 4060 is only 8x electrically, which isn't any good on pcie 3 motherboards. I bet that is the bigger issue at play.

Comment

Ah yes, good call.

Comment

You can grab a 3060 Ti for just a little more nowadays, would be a better solution in this situation.

Comment

EA aims high with Immortals of Aveum PC Specs guide - bearing in mind they aren't citing native 4K here either

Immortals of Aveum - minimum PC requirements (1080p, 60fps)​

• Processor: Intel Core i7-9700 / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
                      • Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 2080 Super or AMD Radeon RX 5700XT with 8GB of VRAM.
                      • RAM: 16GB
                      • Disk space: 110 GB (HDD / SSD)
                      • Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit or later

Immortals of Aveum - recommended PC requirements (1440p, 60fps)​

• Processor: Intel Core i7-12700 / AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
                      • Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti with 12 GB of VRAM or AMD Radeon RX 6800XT with 16 GB of VRAM.
                      • RAM: 16 GB
                      • Disk space: 110 GB
                      • Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit or later

Comment

Definitely time to upgrade that PCIe 3 slotted motherboard

Those min specs are around RTX 3060 levels, which has been climbing the Steam hardware survey lists for a while. You're probably not going to be playing UE5 titles on your work lappy

Comment

The minimum specs are pretty much in line with the new consoles. Which is what you'd expect and actually want to see.
                          Recommended is OK too actually. At least it's not demanding a 4090.
                          It would hint that it's an optimised game.

Comment

Well i was confused as the performance regardless of system limitations still should have been much better, after a few driver reinstalls and a bios update things started ticking over a lot more nicely and the frame rates shot up

Comment

Aaaahhhhhh fudge nuts, the 4070ti doesn't fit in my case, what a bummer, it will just have to stay in that system and ill pick something up at a later date that does, but it would have to be a double fan design not a triple, otherwise its too big. I thought i would be able to wiggle it in based off its dimensions but there's just no way it will go fit in practice, what a shame.

Comment

The new cards are insanely big. Soon it's going to be like plugging a ps5 into the motherboard

Comment

Working...
                                X