No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could take the front bottom fan out and dremmel some of the case to smoosh it in, but i REALLY cant be bothered to be honest, besides it will interfere with the thermals of the case if i do that being a fan down, and the 4070ti is so big you cant get any fans in the bottom of the case either to draw cool air up, so ill have to leave it and wait until some decently powered 2 fan gf cards some along.

Comment

You shouldn't need fans at the bottom of the case. Two/three fans pulling air from the front and a single fan at the rear is the most efficient way of getting positive air pressure through the case.

What case is it?

Comment

Is there really no dual fan solution for the 4070 Ti? How odd. If you don't mind a bit of a performance drop there's the 4070 FE and plenty of dual fan cards. The 4080 FE isn't that large either.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
          You shouldn't need fans at the bottom of the case. Two/three fans pulling air from the front and a single fan at the rear is the most efficient way of getting positive air pressure through the case.

What case is it?
          Bottom of the case pulling cool in & top pulling hot out is the best configuration for most efficient thermals, but depending on the case that might not be possible sometimes.

It’s a Corsair crystal 280x, so I knew I would have issues when building it with some x3 fan cards in the future, I just didn’t expect them all to get this big.
          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 12-07-2023, 09:35.

Comment

It's the most efficient for getting dust in your PC :P

With the Crystal 280X you don't have the PSU in the bottom, so prob works okay in that case, though the GFX itself will be pulling air from the bottom of the case without the fans. Max card length support of 300mm, so yeah, you're going to struggle a bit as a lot of cards are longer than that (the vast majority of 4070Ti in fact).

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
            Is there really no dual fan solution for the 4070 Ti? How odd. If you don't mind a bit of a performance drop there's the 4070 FE and plenty of dual fan cards. The 4080 FE isn't that large either.
            Won't fit - 310mm. 4070Ti FE will squeeze in with 15mm to spare.
            Last edited by MartyG; 12-07-2023, 09:52.

Comment

It’s my own fault for not double checking all the dimensions really. Oh well I have the card in the other system if I need the oomph, bum I’m sticking with my Corsair case and build and i much prefer the aesthetics of it vs this new system.

Though I’ve just seen Corsair now do a mini-itx case that supports 3fan gpu’s up to 320mm so that could make for a really nice compact build in the future.

Comment

You don't have a mini-itx mobo, so be careful

Comment

Ha year i wont be making that mistake again at least as that caught me out when doing the 280x build.

Comment

PC specs for Ratchet and Clank

So it will run on a potato PC, but SSD is in the recommended specs - seems a far cry from "it can only be done on PS5".

What it shows, once again, is that an 8GB VRAM buffer is not the massive problem you'd believe it is if you only watch Tech YouTubers. These things are software issues and bad optomisations.

Also the Starfield PC specs

These specs are well above that of the Series S, or according to AMD ...

You think AMD are trying to push their AM5 CPUs?
                    Last edited by MartyG; 17-07-2023, 15:32.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post

So it will run on a potato PC, but SSD is in the recommended specs - seems a far cry from "it can only be done on PS5".

What it shows, once again, is that an 8GB VRAM buffer is not the massive problem you'd believe it is if you only watch Tech YouTubers. These things are software issues and bad optomisations.

Also the Starfield PC specs

This 8gb Vram confused the hell out of me tbh, I get that it has stayed that way for a long time but when you have people recommending a card purely based on the Vram seems nuts to me.

The reason i went for a 4060 was it is faster and i felt the price i got it for was good, I could get a 3060 with more Vram....but the frame rates would be less and the fact i stick with 1080p....it is always a balance I could spend a bit more and get something a bit better but i felt for the 4060 it being newer...and the power efficiency plus the resolutions i use was good for me. Though granted i think to take advantage I do need a new motherboard and Cpu as i know my set up is limited

Comment

I kindf of feel like the VRam thing is a dong waving exercise. Software hasn't been pushing new cards so people fixate on a different way of showing off a 'mines' better now that raw power isn't an option. It's grappling onto something they feel will power past common complaints when really it's true that the entire new gen of cards has been pretty redundant and bad software optimisation is the real issue.

Comment

Some of these pc ports are being released in a disgusting state, which for people with the top end CPU’s & gpu’s just balk at because they can brute force to 60.

But the truth is devs REALLY need to sort their crap out and learn to optimise and get a game running smoothly, rather than chasing fancy screens for websites to show off, thats for both pc & consoles, because who gives a flying crap how good your game is in a still screen, when it runs like a dog and is a terrible experience.

At 1080-1440p a 4060 is more than good enough for a fair while.
                          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 18-07-2023, 11:50.

Comment

It's not a complete non-issue - the more textures and the bigger they are and the more objects on screen with different textures obviously increases the amount of VRAM that's optimal - if there's not enough VRAM, depending on how things are done, it's either going to cache out to system RAM (which is going to be slower to get to), glitch or crash.

You're going to need more if you're running at 4K with RT, but then you wouldn't expect to be running everything at 4K with RT on a 4060 or even a 4060 Ti for most things. Some badly coded and optimised games may be a struggle down the line, but these cards are not "dead on arrival" as some YouTubers have been suggesting, that's just absolute nonsense.

Comment

The weight of things still feels like it's due to how aggressive cross-gen development has been. If developers suddenly leaned into utilising the available power I imagine the VRAM issue could be a genuinely pressing one but likewise GPU's would probably include more as a result. It's an easy corner to trim back on if by the time the software catches up you know you'll be marketing a different line of cards.

Comment

The vast majority of graphics cards in people's machines have 8GB of VRAM or less, we're talking 80-90% of them. Ideally, if I was buying a new card today, I'd be looking at one with 12GB or more (fortunately mine has 24GB), but I'm not playing games at 1080P. However, not optimising your games to run on that kind of configuration is screwing over the majority of people you're trying to sell your product to,

I don't see much point in upgrading to a 4060 from a 3060, so the notion that it's "only" 15% or so faster is a non-sequitur - and ignoring features like DLSS and RT, lower power consumption, better driver support and feature sets only then tells half of the story.

This idea that 8GB makes cards DOA just adds to the whole PC Master Race nonsense, that unless you're rocking a 4090 with water cooling and RGB RAM (it runs faster folks) so that you can run at 4K 144 FPS and higher, or you may as well give up gaming on PC, isn't good for the future of PC gaming IMO.

If an RTX 4090 is the height of your quality bar, then nothing is ever going to match your expectations except that card (and you probably don't need one).
                                Last edited by MartyG; 18-07-2023, 12:14.

Comment

Working...
                                X