No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thing i have noticed past few years .....the Shader compilation stutter (which I still am not sure what a shader compilation is though) but the fact i see it in so many games....first i thought it was a unreal engine only issue but nope occurs in a lot of games and frankly its getting very long in the tooth.

Funny thing is though since getting a 4060 I decided to try out Ray tracing and the bizarre thing is....I am not sure if i prefer it to me it just looks....different but in my eyes i cannot say it is better or worse but not worth the massive frame rate hit.

DLSS is something i am messing around with ...though from what i gather probably not as much use at 1080p.
    Last edited by eastyy; 18-07-2023, 12:33.

Comment

I've still not played anything where the RT felt worthwhile. Pre-baked reflections do just as well in 99% of the games doing reflections and in many cases the lighting differences are such that you'd only know it was on if you were told or shown a side-by-side. It's not that the tech lacks merit but the current dash feels like a running before it can walk exercise

Comment

Absolutely massive difference with path tracing RT and no RT in Cyberpunk 2077 - massive.

Comment

I'll be interested to retry 2077 when the expansion lands. Not played it since the original release

Comment

Portal RTX prelude is out. Free mod

Play the highest-rated Portal mod, remastered with full ray tracing, DLSS 3 and RTX IO, for free. Learn more about the enhancements, the first use of RTX IO, and watch the RTXON gameplay trailer in this launch article.

Comment

Was just messing with DLSS frame generation in Cyberpunk, I get over 100 fps with that enabled on the RT Ultra present with my 5800X3D/4070 setup. Story isn't quite the same with path tracing.

On the subject of video RAM, 8GB was largely fine on 1440p for me but that was a card I purchased in 2020. I'd be shooting for at least 12GB if buying now.
              Last edited by speedlolita; 18-07-2023, 19:04.

Comment

DCS and resi 8 both use over 12gb vram when I turn everything up on a 4k display with no rescaling help. Doesn’t take much effort to get that below 8gb though whilst maintaining 4k.

Comment

If I recall correctly (re: resi, it was a while ago I played it)

Comment

Does g-sync on your monitor make much of a difference with Nvidia cards?

Comment

G-sync is framepacing and in certain situations it can help. Do you mean having a dedicated g-sync chip in your monitor? Personally I think it's overpriced futility, software solutions might have a smaller effective range but that doesn't balance out the premium you're paying.

Comment

Used to be a module for some monitors.....tbh i never really noticed much of a difference as stuttering is now more of a issue with games and shader compilation , now days monitors are just marked as g sync compatible but i think the modules are not used any more and its just a standard

Comment

My current monitor is FreeSync paired with a RX 6600 so FreeSync has always been on by default, so I have no idea what (off) is like to be honest.

Comment

DF has done a comparison showing Ratchet & Clank on the PC (low and high-end configs) compared to the PS5 performance setting.

Comment

Sounds like dedicated graphics cards and ram are picking up the heavy lifting that Insomniac we’re using the SSD & direct access on PS5 for.

Comment

Sounds about right given the variance of tech they need to support. I watched that analysis last night and even the base spec was fairly decent considering but there's clearly more optimisation that could be done.

A decent enough port though considering how bad the last of us landed... and I see it's Deck verified as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X