X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cash in, while the prices are massive!

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
      I was really lucky and won the sweepstakes for the 8086k 6 core processor, so saving up some money as need a motherboard, ddr4 memory, Heat sink and fan....and probably a new power supply. The swap for the threadripper AMD were offering is long gone, and I know if i sold the 8086k i could probably use that money and get a complete AMD Ryzen system but seems the 8086k would be the best CPU i will own for a long time,
      CPUs aren't really the bottleneck in modern gaming though - sure you're going to get a slightly higher performance due to the (slightly) better IPC, but we're talking gains where you're already well over 60 FPS so you're at diminishing returns.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1655...ryzen-7-2700x/ (I know it's a 8700K v 2700X, but they are essentially the same CPU)

I agree with vanpeebles, cash-in while the prices are massive and get yourself a better graphics card instead.

Comment

Realised last night that my Cryorig H7 is too old to come with the AM4 mounting bracket, so I'll have to find one of those somewhere at some point. Which means I'll be installing the Wraith Stealth that comes in the box with the 2600. Initial ideology is that I could perform a quick OC to reach parity with the 2600X and save myself £50. Don't feel entirely inclined to spend the £7 or so to import a bracket from America though, may just sell this and pay up for a Noctua NH-D15 which I'll be able to use far into the future.

Comment

The AMD coolers are meant to be ok! I have a big noctua on mine, and it’s perfect. Cool, quiet and none of complexities of water cooling.

Comment

I think the Wraith Stealth is probably the worst of the bunch, but it isn't like it allows the CPU to throttle or anything and is apparently quiet. More than likely just stick on XMP and not touch anything else initially.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
              CPUs aren't really the bottleneck in modern gaming though - sure you're going to get a slightly higher performance due to the (slightly) better IPC, but we're talking gains where you're already well over 60 FPS so you're at diminishing returns.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1655...ryzen-7-2700x/ (I know it's a 8700K v 2700X, but they are essentially the same CPU)

I agree with vanpeebles, cash-in while the prices are massive and get yourself a better graphics card instead.
              Will have a serious think of it, one problem though is my current computer rig is having issues and thinking that might be long overdue getting a new motherboard and ram

Comment

Hellgate: London is back on Steam.Developer T3 Entertainment and publisher HanbitSoft Inc. are responsible for the retu…

On 15 November it will be another attempt at life on Steam for Hellgate: London

Comment

Sounds like some good news. About a year ago I wanted to try Hellgate again buy it's in licensed/deleted hell, so the owners releasing the single player portion sounds interesting.

Comment

I never got round to trying it the first time but always wanted to give it a go.

Comment

I still have it on disc, was a ok game though was obviously rushed to finish, apart from bugs and lack of polish my main issue was guns and combat really lacked punch. I felt it was the precursor of what Borderlands did

Comment

I had fun with Hellgate even though it was flawed. I think the quests were dull (lots of kill x of etc.), objectives not always obvious, combat just 'OK' and the style was a mess; this mismash of knights and future which didn't really gel. I also think it's procedural tileset was far too limited. You either had sewer tunnels, underground corridors or streets - all with the same limited colour palette. It's like they simply ported Diablo 2 to 3D without getting the core gameplay right.

Although I see the comparisons to Borderlands, I do think it shares some ARPG workings with Warframe. The procedural level generation particularly although obviously Warframe does this much better.

However I applaud this release because about a year ago I was watching a YouTube retrospective on the game and fancied looking at it again. And I found there is still a small community around the game. But the only way to play it was to buy a copy off eBay or download a pirated version. The game had a solid single player option (essentially the same game) and therefore it makes sense for it to be available legally again.

Comment

The Halloween Steam Sale is on until 1st November.

Not sure that'll be getting much this time around - maybe Graveyard Keeper only due to the bugs on the Xbox One version not being possible to work around. There's not really a lot else on sale on my Wishlist that's looking enticing.

Comment

For the last few sales I've only gone on to get the trading cards and to sell them

Comment

Got new motherboard,ram,m.2 drive, power supply for the 8086k and all installed....and worked first boot which i was really happy with

Comment

Bungie has made the PC version of Destiny 2 free to download on Blizzard's Battle.net launcher, starting now, to celebr…

PC version of Destiny 2 is free until 18 Nov

Comment

Working...
                                X