No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grand Theft Auto IV will be returning to Steam next month and as part of that return Rockstar have made several changes which will also apply to existing owners:

-Some more radio stations have been removed
    -Games for Windows Live has been removed
    -GTA4 and Episodes of Liberty City have been outright replaced with Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition
    -Multiplayer has been completely removed

Comment

Probably gives you an opportunity to get a refund via Steam, given removing multiplayer and disabling radio stations makes the game demonstrably inferior to what was originally paid for.

Removing GFWL is probably an improvement mind.

Comment

Reasons to use GOG increase, again: GOG expands refund policy to 30 days - New policy allows for customers to get their money back even if the game was played (GI.biz)

Online storefront GOG has expanded its refund policy.

"Starting now, you can get a full refund up to 30 days after purchasing a product, even if you downloaded, launched, and played it," the company said in a post announcing the policy today. "That's it."

While this policy appears open to abuse -- beyond the prospect of people viewing it as a free rental, the DRM-free nature of GOG means they can copy and keep playing games even after "returning" them -- GOG is clearly aware of that possibility and has asked customers to use the policy in the spirit it was made.
        Appears to apply to DLC and MTX too (even if GOG doesn't have much of the latter). No reason other storefronts shouldn't follow suit in my opinion.

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
        Removing GFWL is probably an improvement mind.
        Should have been done years ago, particularly when GFWL was shut down. Very lazy.
        Last edited by Digfox; 27-02-2020, 09:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
          Reasons to use GOG increase, again: GOG expands refund policy to 30 days - New policy allows for customers to get their money back even if the game was played (GI.biz)

Appears to apply to DLC and MTX too (even if GOG doesn't have much of the latter). No reason other storefronts shouldn't follow suit in my opinion.

Should have been done years ago, particularly when GFWL was shut down. Very lazy.

Ahahahahah, like that's going to happen. Free games for pc players then as they claim refunds on mass, could end up being a fatal policy for some devs as GOG takes all the refunds from their seller accounts.
          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 27-02-2020, 09:51.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
            Ahahahahah, like that's going to happen. Free games for pc players then as they claim refunds on mass, could end up being a fatal policy for some devs as GOG takes all the refunds from their seller accounts.
            'Should' and 'could' are two different things. GOG are quite small, given their limited range of games. But kudos to them for thinking about the consumer.

The small amount of people that abuse it will get their access removed. Same as Amazon etc.
            Last edited by Digfox; 27-02-2020, 09:57.

Comment

Well its going to happen, as people are cheap and greedy, once the horse has bolted that will be that. Will only be the devs that loose out as well.

Comment

I think GOG will have to monitor it and build it into their plans. The same way Amazon, Argos or John Lewis have to deal with customer returns. I'm not convinced that digital goods or customers to GOG are going to be significantly different in behaviour to those elsewhere.

Given companies have made it clear that delivery mechanism doesn't matter, then consumer rights on physical and digital goods should be the same imo. Particularly in an age of abusive MTX, business models and live services. For every dodgy return there's enough deceitful developers not being honest with the consumer or peddling loot boxes and other harmful business models.
                Last edited by Digfox; 27-02-2020, 14:20.

Comment

I’m building a PC for my nephew with a budget of roughly £800. But the cost of Windows 10 really eats into the funds. Anyone recommend a good place to buy it from cheaper? His school isn’t in the scheme for an education copy unfortunately.

Comment

You can get grey keys on eBay for very little. Not ideal but should be enough?

You can also just use Windows 10 without activating it, if you don't mind a little watermark in the bottom right hand corner. That's what I do. lol

Comment

Seems Devs aren't happy with GOGs new refund policy or its handling

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ould-be-abused

Seems Devs aren't happy with GOGs new refund policy or its handling
                        Do i have to say it?

Comment

I’ll say it, a 30 day refund policy even if you’ve played the game is ****ing ridiculous.

Comment

10th Gen laptop processors from intel emerge

Comment

Intel needs them as the new Ryzen 4000 series is trouncing their current lineup in the mobile processor space with only 40 watts.

Comment

They still ate 14 and 10 nm CPUs, unless you pair them with a decent cooling system they will throttle. But then again, with notebooks getting thinner and thinner, all chips throttle due to excessive heat.

Comment

Working...
                                X