No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course it is - you only have to look at NVIDIA's competitive practices to see they conflict with how ARM has been operating, even under SoftBank. ARM will remain independent in the same way Oculus did under Facebook.

Good news though, it's going to make some rich people richer.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
      Good news though, it's going to make some rich people richer.
      Come on marty. Why would you stop at billions when you can have MORE billions? Use your noggin here 🙂.

Comment

$8 billion is the profit if you base it purely on the value SoftBank originally bought ARM for four years ago.

I've seen that clever chap Hermann Hauser thinks NVIDIA buying ARM is bad, if he thinks that, it's probably a bad idea. Whilst NVIDIA might currently be saying it's going to keep the UKHQ open, I personally wouldn't take that as being long term thing; at some point NVIDIA is going to want to consolidate the assets it's acquired and it won't be consolidating them within the UK.

Comment

Has Nvidia said anything about what time the RTX3080 goes on sale on Thursday? I can only find 17 November but the US has very different ideas of when that date starts dependent on where in it you are

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            Has Nvidia said anything about what time the RTX3080 goes on sale on Thursday? I can only find 17 November but the US has very different ideas of when that date starts dependent on where in it you are
            In Trump's America, everyone falls a month or two behind.

I can't see anything that NVIDIA have announced, but they're probably too busy in their volcanic evil layer plotting over their ARM acquisition.

Comment

I'm expecting 6amPST / 2pmGMT / 3pmCEST. I'll be online from 6am CEST.

After scoring the Tidal Charm (WoW) on a crowded PvP server I'm more than ready for this kind of thing.

Comment

I'm going to have to hit F5 from midnight if I don't get a Ps5 preorder aren't I? lol

Comment

Reviews are coming out and the results are interesting:

Comment

I'm still trying to get a handle on the improvements.

It does seem that there's not as big a leap as NVIDIA implied there was over the 2080Ti, with the biggest gains being on the 4K side of things.

It's a solidly performing card, but it doesn't seem that you really need to go out and upgrade your 2080Ti day 1 - if you're upgrading from the 10XX series though, it's quite a big performance leap.

The biggest margin appears to be in the amount of money you have to spend.

Comment

Yep, for those with a 2080ti, unless you manage to get a good price back for it the switch isn't worth it. I'm still getting good mileage out of the GTX1080 and the switch to an RTX3080 looks like around 3-4x the performance so a huge jump. It's like the launch of the 10XX series all over again, a bigger jump that I thought at first.

Comment

Agreed about the jump not being as large as implied. I'm far less enthused now, think I can wait until the next refresh.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                          Agreed about the jump not being as large as implied. I'm far less enthused now, think I can wait until the next refresh.
                          Apparently the twice as fast was supposedly based on terms of FPS with ray tracing on some specific games - that said, it's a good leap for me as I didn't buy into RTX20XX, so I think I'm going to pick up an RTX3080 as I'm holding off the consoles releases until next year - the GFX card will get far more use without a doubt.

I am wondering now if the cards will be available for order at midnight at the UK retailers, be annoying to find that come 9am they're all allocated already.

Comment

Yeah a friend of mine has a similar concern, staying up just in case. Would be a bit ****, especially as he's after a Founder card which I think you can only order from Nvidia? Not 100% on that one.

Comment

Well it doesn't look like it's a midnight launch, nothing on the usual sites, just the Notify Me button.

I'll have another look in the morning and leave it to happenstance; on reflection it doesn't really matter if I miss the rush on the cards, it's not as if my PC is struggling with anything currently,

Comment

I was refreshing the Dutch site at 12 my time. Nothing. So I guess it'll be 3pm.

I'll be up at 6 regardless.

Comment

Working...
                                X