No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the extra features I'm curious about as from benchmarks it looks like the 2080ti pretty much matches the 3070 at every turn including feature set, the 3070 pretty much being a low cost edition of the same card where it shares the Ampere tech but the end result is negligible from the ti. Given how poor the 3090 benchmarks continue to be it seems the entire 30XX series hangs on the 3080.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      It's the extra features I'm curious about
      Initially it's going to be things like fuller DX12 support, RTX IO (MS Direct Storage), enhanced DLSS (AI cores). And then anything new they add over the next 12-18 months will likely be exclusive to the 3000 series. Then there is also the new hardware support 8K HDR, PCIe 4.0 etc.

I just sense it's a bad time to buy atm, where everyone wants the new 3080 but can't get hold of it, and the 20xx are therefore expensive for what they are. That said I've no idea whether the 3070 will see UK etailers being left with little-to-no stock again. Certainly none of this stock supply helps the 3080 as the etailers have been raising prices on those to capitalise on the demand/stocks. Again another reason to hold off.

Re: eBay just to add that it's the lack of Retailer support too. A few OEMs have apparently closed down their UK service centres for RMAs (i.e. EVGA, moving to Europe) which means when the RMA goes wrong you lose that support. Overclockers for example will replace a card that goes over their '28-day repair' period. I'd want that retailer support on an expensive purchase.

Also don't we have new AMD RDNA2 cards in the next few months?

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
        Yes, but the improvements are restricted to the newest series. As a 1070 owner there's been a number of new features for the 2000 series which I don't get. Also the new game ready patches never target my card.

The 3070 feels like a no brainer at the price.

I would also get nervous about warranty support on an eBay card.
        I'm not sure which features you're referring to tbh - if it's things like DLSS, then obviously they're not going to be supported on the 10XX series cards because they don't have the tensor cores.

The recent update for the ultra-low latency mode feature was included for the 10XX series cards too and they continue to support game targetted updates back to the 900 series, as detailed in their notes, the most recent of which being Mafia: Definitive Edition and Crusader Kings 3.

With eBay bought cards there's always a risk, but that's why you pay less. I've bought all sorts of cards used and the only one I've had an issue with is a AMD R9 280 which was DOA from CEX which went back for a replacement (CEX have a 2 year warranty on used parts, so they're worth a look - just be wary of some of their prices on more recent cards). I got an ex-mining RX480 4GB for £60 from eBay last year refurbed and that's still working well. So long as you're not paying over the odds and the cards don't exhibit odd behaviour when stressed, you're likely going to be fine.

But definitely in agreement at holding off until 3000 series cards are in better supply and we know what Big Navi holds.
        Last edited by MartyG; 21-09-2020, 14:03.

Comment

[MENTION=42]MartyG[/MENTION] Fair challenge on some points although Nvidia will always prioritise support on their newer series (whether hardware based features or not).

eBay is great for bargains but a £700 2080ti FE (that Neon mentioned) is neither a bargain or a good buy atm imo.
          Last edited by Digfox; 21-09-2020, 15:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
            [MENTION=42]eBay is great for bargains but a £700 2080ti FE (that Neon mentioned) is neither a bargain or a good buy atm imo.
            Agreed - the allure of new things is always tempting, but it pays to hesitate for a few minutes and think, is this an essential purchase I can't live without for a little bit longer.

If like Jeff Bezos, you burn RTX Titans when your AWS racks are getting chilly, then by all means spend £1200 on a 2080Ti - but otherwise just hold onto your pennies for a few more months and allow things to settle down a bit - what you don't want is to buy that 2080Ti and then wish you got the RTX3080 afterall.

Comment

Get into 2021 and I guarantee my missus will find other uses for the money

Comment

Don't forget to get your shopping bot scripts ready to snag a few RTX 3090 cards tomorrow to scalp on eBay. That 8K gaming monitor will thank you.

Comment

What do we all think of the speculation that NVidia are lining up revised 3080's with higher ram capacity? Not unexpectedly but I noticed all the retailers have increased their prices so if they did get stock in we'd now be looking at £750-£850 minimum and if a revised version came in and the existing model was replaced it could potentially mean the initial launch batch was a bit of a scam launch if indefinitely £650 was blocked out.

Comment

Didn't Gigabyte accidentally confirm both a 16GB 3070 and a 20GB 3080?

Comment

All but about two of the 3rd party cards were £720 or higher at launch, I'm not seeing any difference in pricing. The MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC, which is the one I got an order confirmation for only to have it snatched away 4 hours later saying they'd over-allocated and couldn't send it to me is the same price I paid last week.

The higher RAM cards rumours have been circulating for ages, but as a parallel SKU rather than a replacement, I don't think they'd want to endanger their position by dropping the 10GB only weeks from AMD's Big Navi launch.

PC Gamer put an update out on RTX 3080 availability earlier today: https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/nvidia-rt...n-stock-check/ - it mentions that NVIDIA are making some changes to its store front to try and counter bots. Maybe they'll get it in place before tomorrow's 3090 launch.
                      Last edited by MartyG; 23-09-2020, 20:10.

Comment

Are the ones now without a price the ones formally listed as £649.99+? I read some on the OCUK forum complaining about price hikes too

Comment

IIRC one of the Zotac cards was listing at £649 on launch day, I can't remember what the other one was - some retailers (like Novatech) were pricing their cards over RRP last week at launch - they're still listing the same MSI Ventus card at £799 currently.
                          Last edited by MartyG; 23-09-2020, 20:42.

Comment

I'm sure I read the Zotac ones were the worst ones so that would make sense. Ah well, the wait continues.

Comment

It sounds like Overclockers have raised prices from the initial launch on most 3080 cards. For example that MSI Ventus was supposedly £640 on launch (if you could actually load their website) and is now £719: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/33977759/.

There's reports like that all over the OCUK GPU subforums. And tbf they have done this numerous times.
                              Last edited by Digfox; 23-09-2020, 21:16.

Comment

I bought the Ventus on CCL online at £719 but they're not listing prices atm, so I couldn't do a direct comparison there - but I can honestly say I didn't see a single card under £649 and I was looking everywhere to try and get one ordered.

I can't see MSI listing an RRP on their website, but have seen it listed for £699 on AWD-IT, modally it seems it's going for £719 as I paid at launch.

Hmm, £680 at Curry's of all places - I think this just shows waiting for supply/demand to level off means a settling of prices too.

I can well believe that retailers are pushing up prices, but it being due to demand rather than it being caused by a higher memory 3080.
                                Last edited by MartyG; 23-09-2020, 21:31.

Comment

Working...
                                X