PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
    So someone spotted that an MSI subsidiary was scalping brand new RTX 30 cards on eBay

MSI claimed they weren't aware this was going on and have now offered refunds or partial refunds. You have to wonder tho, given how much corporations like profit.
    MSI have been in the news before, apparently they were putting pressure on a small youtuber to not mention the faults in a laptop, and even offered money for the review to ...disappear.

Regardless if it is subsidiary or a "rogue" employee it keeps getting worse.

And as Jay2cents mentioned with stock being so Limited and that the Subsidiary was not supposed to have new stock there is something dodgy as every delivery and stock has to be traceable

Comment

Yes, I'm familiar with that news story, which is why this raised eyebrows.

It does stink because you're absolutely right, with stock being so limited how did they get it and if it's B stock, why was it being sold new and for a scalper price?

Regardless of whether MSI knew or not, it doesn't look good on them.

Comment

The 2021 chicken and egg game for the 30XX and buying the missus a Ryzen laptop killed my pursuit. I was able, despite the issues, to get a RTX 2080ti that on balance costs the same as the 3070 and gives the same performance so no F5 challenges anymore.

Despite everything I have to say, I still don't think ray tracing is a big deal. It looks okay but really - from an end user perspective - makes very little difference especially when some non-RT games reproduce the same effect without it. It's very much the same scenario as HDR, nice to have but not even a thought if you don't.

But I do have the opposite to say of DLSS 2.1 - this thing is an utter marvel. Cannot praise it enough and it needs to be much more widespread.

Comment

Rogue is coming to Steam. As in the original Rogue.
          Rogue - In the early 1980s, a computer game emerged that changed the world of fantasy gaming forever. Randomly generated rooms meant that each journey into the infamous Dungeons of Doom was unique. The potent combination of random generation with perma-death proved to be intoxicating, and the game was so influential it spawned an entire genre: "Rogue-likes".Now you too can experience the thrill of dungeon crawling for the fabled Amulet of Yendor in this pioneering game.The original Rogue had many different versions and variations, and was ported to a wide variety of computer platforms. This particular version is Epyx Rogue, one of the earliest versions designed for commercial distribution, ported to MSDOS on the IBM PC, and is v1.49 of that port. Battle dozens of unique and powerful enemies. Gather armor, weapons, food and other items to help you on your quest. Scour rooms for secret hidden doors and traps. Discover strange magical spells and potions, which have different wonderous effects every time you play the game. Survive through 26 randomly generated levels, each more tricky and dangerous than the last, to find the Amulet, then escape... if you can!How long has it been?How many lifetimes have passed since I began my sojourn through this maze of underground passageways, of damp, dimly lit chambers? How long have I been alone, the only human among a menacing crew of hideous subterranean beasts, stumbling over forlorn reminders that others have passed this way before me... never to return!Long before I forgot the warmth of the noonday sun or the refreshing coolness of the evening breeze, I forgot my name. Call me what you will. I am the Rogue.

Of course the immediate discourse is whether it should really be tagged as a roguelike since it's the OG. It will help with visibility though.

The Temple of Apshai Trilogy is heading over as well. I've never played this, kind of curious.
          In this classic dungeon crawler, hack and slash your way through over 500 rooms with dozens of terrifying monsters. A true 1980s fantasy game, experience the frustrations and triumphs of the tabletop gaming inspired combat. Temple of Apshai is waiting. Silently lurking. Patiently waiting. For you.

SEGA have a 60th anniversary sale going on as well. Vanquish is £3.75, Dawn of War III is £2.99 and so on
          Come Celebrate SEGA's 60th Anniversary with us on Steam! We have free games, discounts, streams, interviews, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
            Of course the immediate discourse is whether it should really be tagged as a roguelike since it's the OG. It will help with visibility though.
            Well, Rogue is like Rogue, so it should be labelled as a roguelike.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
              Well, Rogue is like Rogue, so it should be labelled as a roguelike.

Comment

Steam is the ultimate destination for playing, discussing, and creating games.

Comment

The graphics are all rubbish and pixellated!

That looks pretty cool!

Comment

Some RTX 3080 news reported by Gaming Nexus. Proshop revealed their order and stock numbers for this and the 3090 and it doesn't make for good reading. It shows the number of orders, their orders to the supplier and number of recieved cards. It's definitely going to be a while before these cards are readily available. It's a German retailer and a single source so whether this is typical of other retailers isn't really clear.

Comment

Friend of mine placed an order with OcUK about a week ago, he was 888th in line then for a 3080. As of yesterday he's 848 in line, so you can see how they're trickling in...

Comment

The thing I don't understand or doesn't at least seem to be clear is where this went so wrong? Say the 30XX series wasn't so high in demand, the shipped numbers still appear to be insanely low by any launch standard which makes it feel like the most botched launch they've ever managed

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                          Friend of mine placed an order with OcUK about a week ago, he was 888th in line then for a 3080. As of yesterday he's 848 in line, so you can see how they're trickling in...
                          I put a side-order in for a TUF (non-OC) from Alternate.nl on September 16th. I was #170 in line.

I'm still #170 in line.

Comment

Asus will release a series of Gundam-themed peripherals and internal components in Japan.

Comment

Take these with the amount of salt you desire, but some performance figures of AMD's upcoming BigNavi cards have leaked out and they're beating the RTX3080 in the synthetic benchmarks, although the raytracing performance is behind the 3080 (and ahead of the 2080Ti)

Should the actual reviews confirm this and the availability of the cards is better (we can only hope), then that choice of your next videocard got more complicated. It might explain why NVIDIA didn't hike up the prices following their industry espionage, maybe

Comment

Really curious on power, heat, and noise figures. The 30xx series might be powerful but a bit too much power hungry for my tastes.

Comment

Working...
                                X