No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, I never cheap out on the case. I want to put a better GPU in mine (I have a Radeo 5600 XT) but unless it gets me better performance in DCS there's no point and I think that's basically single core CPU bound at present. I'll wait for reviews against it. Very pleased with this AMD setup; they seem to have overcome their issues of old.

Comment

There are a few cases for around the £40-50 that aren't too bad to build in, although most only come with a rear fan, so you're really adding another £15-20 to that (more if you want RGB).

It's all up and running in the case now - just need to sort out why one of the spinning rust drives isn't being seen (probably a unseated SATA cable).

The small mobo fan doesn't run all the time which is good (should mean it lasts longer before it inevitably starts squeeking as these small fans do).
      Last edited by MartyG; 24-11-2020, 15:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
        Same. Very annoyed at myself as wanted to try it in vr but yeah, I’m not buying it again.
        So, I tried VR and it really is excellent.

Comment

Was ein Lizenzschutz von Denuvo ein Unternehmen kostet, zeigen Dokumente, die die Hackergruppe Egregor entwendet hat.

Interesting insight into Denuvo costs and also how if you were cracked on day one you wouldn't get your money back from them

Comment

Steam Autumn Sale on right now. I picked up Dirt Rally 2.0 for a fiver after all the recent praise its been getting. Didnt think it would be so large though at 100GB!

Comment

There's quite a lot of stuff I'm after. I'm waiting until the Christmas sale though.

Comment

A bit of a breakthrough: Through a really good suggestion by someone on RLLMUK I applied an incremental fan profile to my undervolt, and with that managed to shave a whole 10 degrees from my temps. This in turn boosted performance a little bit, giving me a new Superposition high score.

Quake II RTX now hits 80FPS.

Comment

Just bought an HP Reverb gen 1. Huge Black Friday discount means after selling my rift S it’ll only have cost me twenty or thirty quid. Until I find I need a new gpu to drive it!

Comment

Half Life Alex is £36 in the sale

Comment

Unsurprisingly one of the controllers om the Reverb is knackered. On the plus side HP tech support is excellent. One more negative is that they have no stock of replacement controllers so I have to wait.

On an even lower note (and I was expecting this really) I have to let Steam auto scale the output to get an acceptable framerate because it turns out that driving >4K resolution in VR requires a fair bit of GPU power that I simply don't have.

To finish on a positive, I can read the cockpit information clearly in DCS :-) and Half Life Alyx looks even more amazing than with the Rift... if only I could point the gun in it (back to the dodgy right controller).

Overall I'd have to recommend not getting a headset from HP. The subreddit is full of horror stories like the new G2 basically doesn't work on AMD motherboards at all really due to a USB 3 port incompatibility. People buying PCI USB Cards to work around the problem.

Comment

Seems I managed to secure an FE 3060 Ti for RRP! Wasn't really planning on an upgrade but here we are. lol

Comment

I'm still holding out for a 3080, but will be interested in hearing your experiences with it - word is these are chips from 3070 that didn't pass binning, but I haven't seen a tear down confirming that yet.

After running my new rig with the Ryzen 3700X and GTX 1080 I have found I'm getting a smoother experience in VR, so I think the 6700K was throttling the GFX card a little bit. Rainbow Six Siege felt great running on a 120Hz screen with VRR.
                          Last edited by MartyG; 02-12-2020, 17:33.

Comment

DOOM Eternal is on GamesPass.

DOOM ETERNAL IS ON GAMEPASS!

Comment

I turned on DLSS for Quake II RTX.

From 80fps to 144fps and my fans are hardly kicking in. I can't tell a difference in quality at all, even with taking screens and overlaying them in Photoshop.

It's basically black magic.

Comment

Yep, every year we hear about another new 'future amazing feature' but through them all it's DLSS - it's absolutely astounding

Comment

Working...
                                X