No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does DLSS only work while the system is connected online (using servers to supplement etc) or is it an actual hardware feature?

Comment

Far as I'm aware you need to be online

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        Far as I'm aware you need to be online
        Where did you get this from?

There's no requirement to be online to use DLSS, it's part of the driver, all calculations are done on the card in the machine: https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce...ions-answered/

Comment

Yeah I'm looking forward to trying DLSS.

Scan are making this process feel excruciating though, took a day to be picked and marked as despatched but DPD still haven't received it from them.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
            Where did you get this from?

There's no requirement to be online to use DLSS, it's part of the driver, all calculations are done on the card in the machine: https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce...ions-answered/
            I thought the calculations came from the NGX Framework, or is that just what they use to come up with the tech?

Comment

I'm not sure you've thought that through - what sort of additional latency would DLSS introduce into a game as it calls off every time it draws a frame at 60fps+ to a server to do the upscaling calculations?

Comment

My understanding is that DLSS is performed by the GPU. Although it does rely on updated Game Ready drivers to use. So if you never updated drivers then future games wouldn't be able to use DLSS (although very unlikely anyone wouldn't update drivers). Although I heard yesterday of a Dell Gaming PC shipping with year-old Nvidia drivers.

Comment

I've done some searching again and I think I've got it straight in my head now. So the GPU does all the computation using the software received as part of a driver update, but that software is based on the work carried out by Nvidia's DGX supercomputer. So, it's essentially a patch update which is how Nvidia was able to retrospectively add it to the GTX10 cards. Therefore DLSS works offline, you just need to be online to receive the better versions that the DGX is working on that are delivered as part of driver updates (which you'd be online for anyway)

Comment

CCL Online has some Ryzen 5 5600X CPUs in stock at the mo: https://www.cclonline.com/category/4...slist/1438030/

If you're after one I'd get in now as they're not likely to last long.

Edit: They've all gone.
                    Last edited by MartyG; 04-12-2020, 21:02.

Comment

The AMD 6900 XT launched today, but you probably missed out on buying one if you didn't get in the first 2 minutes.

General consensus seems to be don't buy one for gaming over a 6800 XT (not that you can buy those either).

If you must have one, eBay scalpers have some from £1,500-£7,000, depending on the listing (reference card is supposed to retail for £999).

Comment

Oh how fun.

Colleague of mine is looking to buy her first PC just after Christmas and I've basically told her it's looking grim. I hope availability doesn't continue like this for too long.

Comment

I've seen this report a few times, but basically PC GPU prices aren't going to reset soon because of supply issues. What these reports don't account for either is the specific UK situation; impending Brexit impacts, UK port disruption, greedy retailers/resellers and potentially lack of shipping container crates for the UK (due to delays/commercials).

NVIDIA: Price of GeForce RTX 30 GPUs for Gamers Won’t Stabilize Until April 2021. (Resetera)

OCUK have barely any GPU/CPUs atm.

Comment

No surprise that AMD can’t supply 2 consoles launches and a new pc gpu range at the same time but it sucks. I desperately need a new gpu. This 5600xt is at 100% utilisation and the vram is at maximum constantly, and that’s with ever graphic setting on minimum in dcs. I’m asking it to render 6k in vr so it’s no surprise but that 6800xt would help a lot. I think I’ll value the extra 6GB of vram over the 3080’s superior ray tracing abilities but would nvidias dlss help out when being asked to render 6k or does it have to be tuned for particular games or something?

Comment

The game has to be compatible, hopefully it becomes increasingly standard though

Comment

Managed to snag a Ryzen 7 5800X at RRP yesterday, so that 3700X wasn't needed for long (who knew tho, could have needed that CPU for months). CCL Online have now implemented a queuing system where stock is allocated and stays in your basket for 15 minutes - if you don't checkout in that time period, the line item goes into the basket of the next person in the queue, so you know if it's in your basket you will be allocated the item on payment. Much better than their previous system. I was about to give up when my queue number came up.

Not sure whether to try and resell the 3700X or ripple that upgrade to the other Ryzen box I have with a R7 2700 in it.

Just the graphics card to go now and my new gaming rig will be complete.
                                Last edited by MartyG; 10-12-2020, 10:53.

Comment

Working...
                                X