PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
    That depends on if they even bother making the 3080 anymore. I presume the 'generous' MSRP pricing up until now was a precautionary move prior to AMD's show of hands. Now that the threat no longer exists it's business as usual.

It's even making the 3090 an attractive offer. With all that VRAM you probably won't need to upgrade for a very, very long time.
    They continued with the 2080 and 1080, don't see why they wouldn't. It's also silicon that wouldn't bin for 3090 cards, the 3080 is a different chip (and I'm assuming that the 3070Ti is 3080 chips that wouldn't bin).

Either way, it still doesn't help me get a new card at a reasonable price.

Comment

Fortunately several years of cross-gen game development is here to ensure no=one will need a new card till the 40XX series hits

Comment

Marvelous and Grasshopper Manufacture's cult-hack-and-slash adventures No More Heroes and No More Heroes 2: Desperate S…

09 June 2021 will see the releases of No More Heroes and No More Heroes 2 on PC

Comment

The Steam Summer sale is now active, on until 8th July.

Comment

During a livestream that aired today, Microsoft officially unveiled its next OS: Windows 11 and announced that Windows 10 users will get access to Windows 11 as a free upgrade, similar to how Windows 7 and 8 users were upgraded to Windows 10 for free. Microsoft also said that Windows 11 will...

Microsoft has officially announced Windows 11, all Windows 10 users will be offered the OS for free. For gaming Windows 11 will introduce Auto-HDR and the Xbox App.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              https://gbatemp.net/threads/windows-...ements.590427/
              Microsoft has officially announced Windows 11, all Windows 10 users will be offered the OS for free. For gaming Windows 11 will introduce Auto-HDR and the Xbox App.
              Saw that. It's basically bringing PC into line with features already on console. I see they're also going to support the direct storage API for fast nvme drives so you can assume they'll have quick resume etc...

Have to say Windows 11 does seem like a small incremental upgrade but a logical one for most things.

I like the seamless Android support, probably the biggest feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                For gaming Windows 11 will introduce Auto-HDR.
                Let's hope the implementation isn't as dreadful as it is on Windows 10 (don't really understand why it's the case, as HDR on Xbox looks fab by comparison).

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                  Let's hope the implementation isn't as dreadful as it is on Windows 10 (don't really understand why it's the case, as HDR on Xbox looks fab by comparison).
                  Haven't seen any HDR on PC to be fair, mainly because I don't have a capable monitor or PC!

Hasn't HDR been a fairly rare thing on PC up until now? I know most monitors haven't bothered or don't really use the full standard until recently.

You assume given the name this auto HDR is the same exact algorithm used on the Xbox consoles so with any luck it'll be a winner here.

Comment

On windows 10 HDR needs to be turned off basically. It simply doesn’t work.

I wish all pc games could be made to run on Linux then windows could just be left to die

Comment

Are we stable yet?

Comment

On Linux or Windows?

Linux is great (and the vast majority of my PCs run it), but it does require maintenance and you will have to go to the command line at times when things so wrong and start editing config files (I had to compile drivers from source for a capture card for my PVR machine). If you leave updates too long before doing them, you can really run into some problems.

As much as we bag on Windows (and rightly for all its data mining and insistance on turning things back on that you'd switched off), it is generally a stable platform that requires very little intervention from the user to keep it working. So it isn't going away any time soon.

Comment

I think W10 is actually pretty good on the whole personally. Ive had zero issues with it to be honest, not even 1 hard crash since running it, I don’t game on it though save for a little bit of HaloWars2 and Total War 2. All things considered that’s pretty impressive for any OS.

I think W10 gets an underserved bashing at times, vista, xp & 98 were total garbage though.

Comment

I'm thinking of things like HDR not working, half the settings in the metro UI, the other half still inside control panel, the total inability to do anything with a disk, USB stick or SD card that wasn't formatted on Windows; Literally unusable until you find a Linux machine to sort it out. From a development perspective the timer system breaks if you change the time while you have a timer running. It's been this way for over 5 years; they know about it but still haven't fixed it. Winrot is still a thing. I have 32GB ram and am running off a PCI 4 nvme drive and somehow it still takes over a minute to boot (it used to take a few seconds). It is the best version of Windows they've ever made, I'll give them that. The telemetry, advertising and forced upgrades are absolutely vulgar though.

Comment

What I really don't like about Win11 is that it requires TPM (1.2 at least) enabled to run. I'll wait a couple of months before updating though, or maybe more, just to have all companies produce mature(-ish) drivers and MS to iron out the most egregious bugs.

Comment

Ryzens have a TPM built in. I think 8th gen onwards Intel Core chips also have it.

Comment

Working...
                                X