No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be honest I’ve found FSR to have no benefit over simply rendering at a lower resolution like in the old days.

Comment

Would really love to upgrade but this is getting a bit ridiculous

Thing that really annoys me is that is on a legit site so I wonder where in the chain the price hike is coming from

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
        Would really love to upgrade but this is getting a bit ridiculous

Thing that really annoys me is that is on a legit site so I wonder where in the chain the price hike is coming from
        All pure Scan profit probably. I paid over the odds for my 6800XT but based on that price I actually saved £400.

Comment

We'll see how much they can push the 6500 XT / RTX 3050 at for cards that should be around £180 / £230.

In reality I can't see them ending up available at that price and in many ways you're probably going to be better off getting an older 1070 / 1080 for the street price they're likely to end up at, given the performance is relying on FSR / DLSS to reach the claimed framerates.

I know that AMD 6600 HellHound card above did not have an RRP of £519 as I bought that very model at launch for £329 (and that was still too much given its performance).

Last edited by MartyG; 06-01-2022, 11:26.

Comment

Thankfully we're comfortably settled into an era of gaming where high powered GPU's are pretty pointless. Until software starts to really step into utilising next-gen rather than cross-gen there's little reason to upgrade if you're already sporting something reasonable.

Comment

So that $199 price for the AMD 6500 XT cards? Yup, not happening as ASUS and Gigabyte announce prices for this budget cut down card that's not worth close to $199 given its performance before the scalper prices get added to the ASUS street price.

Asus, via its German division, has confirmed the official MSRP for the AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT in European markets.

It's been shown that these cards don't have the full connections of the PCIE bus and are only wired for 4xPCIE, which may hamper performance on Gen3 further (probs not an issue on Gen4).

Given all the info on this card, I would not buy one at that price even for a "budget" build - I'd be looking at a GTX1070/1080 - it'll be a better gaming card for similar street money. Will see what comes out of the reviews, but I would absolutely advise against ordering this card that will only lead to salty tears of disappointment based on its price/spec/value ratio.
              Last edited by MartyG; 11-01-2022, 10:50.

Comment

Run your own custom Titanfall 2 server. Given how hackers ruined this game on PC it's great to see something like this breathe life back into it, particularly because it's still an absolutely fantastic game.

Comment

Where’s the best place to look for a pre-build pc? I’ve been looking on hotukdeals but there always seems to be SOMETHING I don’t like about the system.
                  Last edited by fishbowlhead; 19-01-2022, 11:23.

Comment

I'd say MainGear; you'll be paying a bit of a premium, but they're likely to have the least compromises. Any of the mainstream (DELL, HP etc) will have compromises as they're built to a price, but very much depends what it is you're looking for - gaming, workstation, general everyday work PC.

---------------------

AMD RX 6500 XT goes on sale today. I'd still think carefully before putting money down on one.

Comment

I was looking at this, but it doesn’t say if the mobo is pcie 4 compatible and some other details.

Main duties will be lightroom, illistrator, indesign, photoshop, excell, with light smattering of gaming. But i want something thats going to last and not be replaced in 2 years, hence going a bit overkill on the specs.
                      Last edited by fishbowlhead; 19-01-2022, 11:39.

Comment

Ping them an email - if it's an X570 or B550 it'll be gen 4. We'll probably be on gen 5 mobos in two years time, but given it's an R7 5800 I'd expected to be one of those boards (preferably the 570). Find out what the RAM config is too as ideally for Ryzen you want 3200+.
                        Last edited by MartyG; 19-01-2022, 12:01.

Comment

Absolutely monkeys at box, they had no idea, thats off the list then.

Comment

Yep, I'm probably going to get a prebuilt in the coming year or two as upgrades aside mine is hitting 8 years old this year so some parts are long in the tooth now. When Gen 5 Mobo's and likely the 40XX series have landed I'll aim for something on those lines

Comment

Oooof. Just make sure it doesn't have a 6500 XT in it.

Yet they are all sold out on the UK sites now.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                                Yet they are all sold out on the UK sites now.
                                Of course they are. Can’t scalp if you don’t buy them all up.

Comment

Working...
                                X