No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GOG Galaxy 2.0 is fantastic, really like it, and have championed it a few times in the thread. For me when I've clicked on something like The Elder Scrolls Online it works as intended; bypassing the TESO launcher and loading straight into the game. However this person's story so eloquently demonstrates a PC problem; multiple launchers upon launchers, updates, seperate logins and leaving loads of Win32 programs running in the system tray eating up resources.

No one gave a s**t or thought about the consumer experience. Tbf Valve years ago should have stopped this on Steam when UPlay started to appear.

Comment

Calling Europa Universalis fans.

If you've ever been curious about this game or never bought the DLCs because of its ridiculous price point, this Humble Bundle might be for you.

At the £1 tier you get the base game, deluxe upgrade and Art of War, Res Publica, Wealth of Nations and American Dream DLCs.

£13 gets you pretty much all the EU4 DLC you'd ever want to keep you playing for the rest of the year

Certainly worth a look for a pound if you ever wanted to try the game: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/e...n=tile_index_1

Comment

Here's a question:

My PC is a fair few years old now and is running on 8GB of DDR3 Ram (thanks to one ram stick burning out) and using an i7 4740k CPU. It's bouncing through things well and is speedy thanks to the GTX1080 that is still smashing everything that's thrown at it but the next-gen looms and it's limits will undoubtedly be tested. I can't upgrade the gen of RAM without changing the entire motherboard etc also so my question is...

If the RTX30XX era onward GPU's launch and are worthwhile updates rather than the RTX20XX fairly pointless one, which would fare as the better option?

01 - A new PC built around the new card
        or
        02 - RTX30XX card, upgrade the RAM to 32GB DDR3 RAM

Basically, is the generation of ram and CPU going to bottleneck too much or is there still enough life in the old girl yet to see out another few years with a GPU boost?

Comment

Double the ram and hold out a bit longer.

Comment

Cheers
            As expensive as the GPU's are they're a fraction of what a new PC is so if I can ride out another upgrade cycle I'm happy to do so, as long as the next cards don't pull their punches again

Comment

Im still holding out on,

FX 4300 3.8ghz quad core.
              16gig ddr3 ram
              Radeon rx560 (powered by motherboard).

Its still handling everything i throw at it at 1440p, most of this i expect is being kept up to speed by the zippy little graphics card.

Ill be getting a complete new system end of this year as creative suite is now starting to heavily tax the cpu even with the gpu picking up the slack.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                Ill be getting a complete new system end of this year as creative suite is now starting to heavily tax the cpu even with the gpu picking up the slack.
                Adobe's stuff is so badly optomised it's a joke. Lightroom CC really starts to chug on my machine (and it'd wipe the floor with your FX system) when the session has been going for a while due to it leaking memory everywhere. It's awful.

Comment

LightroomCC is now a process to load thats for sure. If i did it full time every day then a new pc would of been due a good while a go.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                    or
                    I think you probably know your answer, and I'm sure that you could stretch more time out of the i7 4770K. Depending on use case of course.

Personally though I wouldn't want to spend huge amounts on DDR3 at this point. I'd be tempted to look for a second cheap 8GB stick or even consider secondhand. Looking on OC'ers and DDR3 RAM is mostly out of stock and selling at DDR4 prices.

Comment

Here's a question:

My PC is a fair few years old now and is running on 8GB of DDR3 Ram (thanks to one ram stick burning out) and using an i7 4740k CPU. It's bouncing through things well and is speedy thanks to the GTX1080 that is still smashing everything that's thrown at it but the next-gen looms and it's limits will undoubtedly be tested. I can't upgrade the gen of RAM without changing the entire motherboard etc also so my question is...

If the RTX30XX era onward GPU's launch and are worthwhile updates rather than the RTX20XX fairly pointless one, which would fare as the better option?

or

Basically, is the generation of ram and CPU going to bottleneck too much or is there still enough life in the old girl yet to see out another few years with a GPU boost?
                      I had upgraded a 4690k to a 8086k and tbh was hard to judge as i was on a 970 at the time but with that did not make much of a difference except with video editing then i upgraded to a 1070

If you know frame rates of any games I will check how it compares with my 8086k on a 1070, as i think you will probably be getting better frame rates anyway

Comment

I think I've been mostly mindful that a shift in generations might mean a shift in the way the games are programmed so that they make use of more cores and that would mean the i7 and DDR3 would prove too limiting. I've had a look on ebay and 16gb of high speed DDR3 can be had for about £50 so I might jump on that option and bank on a new GPU carrying the PC through the remainder of its years. I'm finding that upgrading a GPU every other generation of GPU seems the right pace but the other components... harder to judge

Comment

I've had a look on ebay and 16gb of high speed DDR3 can be had for about £50 so I might jump on that option
                          16GB of DDR3 2400 will cost you slightly less via CEX inc postage and a 12 month guarantee: https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail/...240-pin-memory

Comment

Cheers I might order that next month, the ones I'd seen were around 1800MHz, it'll be nice to have that out the way and slightly better than it was when the system was previously using 16GB as the current sticks are aronud 1600MHz I think

Comment

Platform wars, subscription services and free games disruptive to the PC market in 2019.

Last edited by Digfox; 24-01-2020, 21:25.

Comment

Currently rolling a dice on Steam. Even though it's old and a few hours played in from ages ago I've just installed Blues and Bullets to discover the developer went bust a few years back and whilst the game was sold as a complete 5 episode package they on;y developed 2 of them so seeing how far I get with a refund request for not receiving content paid for.

Comment

Working...
                                X