• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Counting the money.

Comment

Valve
      "You either fail a hero, or succeed long enough to become the villain"

Comment

Steam DB is reporting that the Steam Summer Sale starts on 21st June 2018.

Hold on to your wallets: https://steamdb.info/sales/

Comment

Originally posted by Mgear View Post
          Counting the money.
          Exactly. Steam literally prints money for zero input or effort so why would they bother?

Comment

I kind of agree with their policy. As soon as they feel pressured into banning a game and doing so, all they will be doing is banning more and more as soon as someome is offended. Nice to see such a big company have some sort of spine.

Comment

Why does the gaming industry continue to try and get away with crap like this?

I've now blocked all RedShell domains at my router.

Games known to have the SpyWare installed so far: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...m9D-VB/pubhtml

RedShell are using your SteamID64 as their tracker - this is uniquely personally identifying so harvesting this data without explicit consent is certainly likely to be a breach of GDPR. I'm in the process of having the data collected provided to me, having it wiped and further collection denied.
              Last edited by MartyG; 18-06-2018, 19:44.

Comment

It’s obviously not legal in any way at all, not only are they spying on the public they are also stealing whatever data they want.

Where abouts is this company based? If there in the uk we should all pay the owner a nice visit, see how they like that.

Comment

OK/NORMAL

This looks like you fell asleep playing an N64 game and carried on playing in your dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                    Why does the gaming industry continue to try and get away with crap like this?

I've now blocked all RedShell domains at my router....
                    Saw this on the ESO forums but until this post forgot about it (only game I have that was impacted, which isn't through Steam). I believe the Zenimax Online Studio's apology and reasons they were considering it. That said it's I find it hard to believe it's not junk or garbage data anyway. In ESO's case the game has exploded twice in the small time I've played it. Both when Morrowind and Summerset came out. And for me personally there was no single 'origin point' when I created an account on their game.

Comment

If what was being collected was completely innocent and anonymous as claimed, they'd have been upfront in the first place about collecting the data and asked for permission to do so. The fact they asked for my Steam64ID to stop the tracking shows they're tying it all to that.

It seems most developers are removing it now - I shall see what data comes back from RedShell, but I've not ruled out making a formal complaint to the ICO.

Also - 2 days until the Steam Summer Sale.
                      Last edited by MartyG; 19-06-2018, 12:34.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                        If what was being collected was completely innocent and anonymous as claimed, they'd have been upfront in the first place about collecting the data and asked for permission to do so. The fact they asked for my Steam64ID to stop the tracking shows they're tying it all to that.
                        Absolutely. I was just relating this to ESO. My guess is they'd argue it's use is covered by T&C's or TOS's, but I don't disagree these sort of things need to be communicated clearly.

Comment

Begin deze maand berichten we over een presentatie over de volgende generatie mainstream gpu's die Nvidia op Hot Chips zou gaan geven. Op de belangrijks...

Word is the next GTX line is getting delayed

Comment

I got the data back from Redshell that they'd collected from my machine - the CSV file contained this:

id,user_id,game_id,type,version,ip,identifiers,rev enue_type,revenue_currency,revenue_amount,created_ at
                            That's it, just the headers. So looking at the headers - user_id IP address, other identifiers, without any actual data it's difficult to say what that last one is but IP address and user_id is definitely uniquely identifying.

Pretty sure I've played a number of the games that were listed in the last year though, Civ for sure. My firewall is port blocked by default, but I'd be surprised if they weren't calling back over port 80.
                            Last edited by MartyG; 20-06-2018, 20:33.

Comment

[MENTION=42]MartyG[/MENTION] Interesting. Does look like it is tracking your spend in the game. I assume the created_at is this so called 'origin point' that Zenimax referenced in their apology.

Comment

It's on! Time to go through the wishlist.

Seems Valve haven't turned enough servers on again.
                                Last edited by MartyG; 21-06-2018, 17:19.

Comment

Working...
                                X