No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I saw the sale go up first time I clicked on the link and the biggest, most obvious thing on the page was a big highlighted box saying "THIS CONTROLLER DOES NOT WORK IN OSX CATALINA", so my excitement was quite short-lived.

Comment

It's back on sale again if anyone else is curious. But the shipping cost to here is significant so it became far less of a good deal so I've decided to give it a miss.

Comment

So, anticipating MechWarrior 5's release next week I installed the Epic Games Launcher. I have no love for launchers, I think they are an unnecessary piece of software, but I do recognize having a centralized storefront, automated patches, and cloud saves (for games that support it) are a benefit.
        I think the EGL has just that. Wow it's barren. It reminds me of a free Android currency converter app that runs gigantic ad banners. Steam and Galaxy are light years ahead in terms of functionality, I'm actually surprised that Epic would launch its storefront/launch program in such a state.

I really hope MW5 is worth it.

(note: MW5 was announced to be a EGL exclusive for one year earlier this year, well after the preorder campaign, and as usual they offered refunds for those wanting the game on Steam).
        Last edited by briareos_kerensky; 03-12-2019, 10:35.

Comment

I can wait

Comment

Following the Game Awards tomorrow 13 demos will be available on Steam for 48hrs including the upcoming remake of System Shock

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
              Also the new Galaxy 2.0 is awesome (I'm in the beta). The new UI is absolutely gorgeous but what I really like is the tracking of all the different platforms (including Live and PSN), whether it be friends activities, achievements or time played. It is really cool and I have it set to autostart with the PC atm. I also like that for any game you start it completely bypasses the game's launcher and takes you straight to the game in question.
              GOG Galaxy 2.0 now in Open Beta

Really worth a look.

Comment

Epis are doing 12 free games of Christmas atm. One game a day.

I don't normally pick up games in sales anymore but I did just buy Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart for £2.27 on Steam. It's in the Hyper Neptunia "universe" which doesn't interest me but it being an SRPG from Sting certainly does, so I picked it up.

Comment

NVidia is said to be prepping its Ampere cards which will process 50% faster than Turing and at half the power consumption. XBX and PS5 outdated tech in 5... 4... 3...

Comment

Will be interesting, from what i have seen the AMD 5700 and 5700Xt were pretty good performance and price (certainly enough for Nvidia to rush out Super versions of the 2060 and 2070 along with the umpteen 1600 cards) so i am hoping it makes Nvidia really try to compete harder

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                      https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nv...er-consumption

NVidia is said to be prepping its Ampere cards which will process 50% faster than Turing and at half the power consumption. XBX and PS5 outdated tech in 5... 4... 3...
                      New consoles were locked down spec wise probably 2 years ago so of course the "brand new all singing card" would do that. These new cards will probably cost on their own more than a whole next gen console will too, so again cant really compare PC's and consoles spec wise, finished games sure, but not raw hardware, itle always be lopsided.

Will be interesting come end of 2020 though to see what sort of PC will available for under 1k.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nv...er-consumption

At this point also a 50% reduction in price would be required to make Nvidia GPUs appealing again.

Comment

With these likely to hit late this year or early next year I'd still be tempted to hold off given the lack of software to utilise them as I'd imagine the following wave that would hit mid-gen woudl iron out any kinks and provide enough power to pretty much nail all next-gen software throughout the rest of the generation.

Comment

I think it depends on your use case. People running really demanding stuff like DCS, 4K 144fps or high-end PCVR might want the extra grunt. Particularly where SLI has gone. Also these new RTX 3xxx series might see a return to mobile and desktop parity (i.e. with Pascal, where a mobile 1070 was the same as a desktop chip). So also making smalls build more powerful.

That said I personally don't see much point if I am intending to buy new console hardware next year. There are only so many hours in the day. And all PC GPUs are way overpriced and offering far too little performance or feature improvements. I've enjoyed transitioning away from PC gaming and am a full convert of laptop gaming for the few times I need a PC.

Comment

PC Gaming in 2020 \o/

Just a quick one, saw it in the Resetera thread on EGS. I think it quite sums up one of the downsides with launcher upon launcher guff that PC consumers put up with.

I used GOG Galaxy for the free Rayman Legends game I got on the Epic Store.

When I clicked install it:

1. Started EGS as a second client.
                              2. Notified me about an update for EGS that I installed.
                              3. Opened up a view where it had me login to uPlay, to link those accounts.
                              4. Opened uPlay as a third client.
                              5. Notified me about an update for uPlay that I installed.
                              6. Notified me about an update for GOG Galaxy that I installed.
                              7. Launched the game.
                              8. Left all three clients running after I exited the game.

I still care where I buy my games, after user experiences like that.

Comment

Linking GOG Galaxy with other clients only has to be done once, as far I can tell. Also, Galaxy's settings allow you to choose that exiting a game also exits its respective external client, taking care of that particular niggle.

Nothing to be done about the mandatory updates required by each client from time to time, I guess. Doesn't really irk me that much, but your mileage may vary. Personally, I like the Galaxy, as it's an aesthetically pleasing and increasingly functional solution to what is becoming a real problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X