No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Denuvo is nothing more than a developer tax at this point.

Comment

The beta version of Amazon's new MMO, New Worlds, has a tiny little bug that will overload and eventually fry your GPU if you don't cap FPS at 60. Apparently EVGA cards are the most affected, and some are drawing connections between this fact and the old inadeguate power caps styory from months ago.

Comment

Is there an echo in here?

I don't think this has been definitely confirmed yet, but if you can afford to buy a 3090 at the moment, you can probably afford to replace it too
        Last edited by MartyG; 22-07-2021, 10:48.

Comment

A heads up, you can get an EA Origin code for Battlefield 1 at the moment from Amazon if you're an Amazon Prime member (until 4th August). You'll also be able to get a Battlefield 5 code for EA Origin on August 2-October 1

You should see it in the Games with Prime section: https://gaming.amazon.com/home

Defense Grid: The Awakening & WWI Verdun Western Front are available on the Epic store for free at the mo too. Next week Epic store has Mothergunship & the DLCtastic Train Sim World 2.
          Last edited by MartyG; 22-07-2021, 20:25.

Comment

I don't know for how long this will last, but some big retailers, including Alienware, not longer ship high-end gaming PCs to a few US States after California activated an energy bill originally created in 2017 that bans high-end gaming PCs (but not workstations and servers...sounds stupid? It is.) due to excessive power consumption/not enoguh power efficiency.

Comment

I don't know for how long this will last, but some big retailers, including Alienware, not longer ship high-end gaming PCs to a few US States after California activated an energy bill originally created in 2017 that bans high-end gaming PCs (but not workstations, servers, or consoles...sounds stupid? It is.) due to excessive power consumption/not enoguh power efficiency.

Comment

Not sure I'd class an i5 & GTX 1650 a high end PC.

Can they order a PC without a graphics card and just order the card separately? Not a "high powered" PC then.

Once you've got that new gaming PC up and running tho, you could pop over to Humble Bundle and pick up the Sakura bundle for £8.72 and indulge in the past time of the dating sim / visual novel / anime girl thinggy. Eighteen of them: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/s...sbundle_bundle
                Last edited by MartyG; 27-07-2021, 18:18.

Comment

Okay, I thought there'd be more to this "Gaming PCs are banned in California" thing than high powered gaming PCs being banned - and, of course, high powered PC are not being banned because that wouldn't make any sense and completely kill a big market.

This is about the power consumption of PCs when they're on but idling, not about raging gaming PCs pulling 500 watts from the wall when they're being used.

There's a limit on how much power they can use when they're in idle or sleep state - and there's an exemption too, if the PC has a gold certified PSU, it's exempt from the regulation and you can build your own system from parts and it doesn't impact you at all. So actually, if a manufacturer will sell a gaming PC to you in California, it's probably a decent gaming PC

It's lower endpre-built PCs with crap parts that are more effected by this regulation because they're less efficient.

Comment

tried Samurai Warriors 5 on PC....and it actually worked, always have massive problems with Koei tecmo warriors games on PC either with joypad or graphics but here controller worked straight away and for once the graphics actually look decent, previous warriors games tend to look washed out but here its better......though having the Ink/cel art style probably helped.

Game is grand but it is typical warriors games no surprises at all......really wished stages had branching paths and changes based on how well you do

Comment

The first wave of 23 Epic Games Store exclusives are expected to result in a $130 million loss according to documents from the Epic vs. Apple legal battle.

Epic Store looks increasingly like it's been a massive failure in terms of profitability as its free games are tearing through millions of dollars the service can never claw back.

I'd be curious as to how long Epic Store will last once Fortnite loses its popularity. Epic does well but the Fortnite factor won't last forever and if the service is such a loss maker how do you continue with it indefinitely without cutting costs like the free games and therefore losing your biggest distinction against your competitor?

I imagine this is the closest comparison to how Game Pass financially works for MS with the exception that MS actually has a lot of room for growth to offset losses as well as a much more secure fortune to rely on till it works whereas ES is a competitor to a pre-existing market dominator so its room for growth is minimal and a race as to if it can hold out long enough to claw enough market share to work.

Comment

I suppose they could always increase their cut of the game sales

Comment

Amount of free games I have got from the Epic store is impressive, but them actually updating the store with basic functions and features is happening at a glacial pace

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                            https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/1...-in-first-wave
                            Epic Store looks increasingly like it's been a massive failure in terms of profitability as its free games are tearing through millions of dollars the service can never claw back.

I'd be curious as to how long Epic Store will last once Fortnite loses its popularity. Epic does well but the Fortnite factor won't last forever and if the service is such a loss maker how do you continue with it indefinitely without cutting costs like the free games and therefore losing your biggest distinction against your competitor?

I imagine this is the closest comparison to how Game Pass financially works for MS with the exception that MS actually has a lot of room for growth to offset losses as well as a much more secure fortune to rely on till it works whereas ES is a competitor to a pre-existing market dominator so its room for growth is minimal and a race as to if it can hold out long enough to claw enough market share to work.
                            And people keep insisting that gamepass is profitable when those same people have gamed the system for 4 years of gamepass ultimate for next to nothing. No, not its not, MS just have virtually infinite pockets.

These things will bleed cash until their pulled or the competition fold.

Comment

The two models aren't anywhere near equitable.

Comment

They're different approaches and definitely not direct comparison jobs but it's a glimpse of the scale of money and numbers new services involve and the massive mountain they need to climb to reach content deals and user numbers. It's enough to suggest why most aren't trying to shake up their platform models or dive on in, the profitability just isn't there without a monopoly

Comment

Working...
                                X