PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
    I bought the Ventus on CCL online at £719 but they're not listing prices atm, so I couldn't do a direct comparison there - but I can honestly say I didn't see a single card under £649 and I was looking everywhere to try and get one ordered.
    Yea, found the original prices in this thread: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forum...3070.18897451/

Looks like all their 3080 models went up by £40-70+ on OCUK. Also all their 3070's have gone up by £30, and their 3090's by £60-90+ too. Although the MSI Ventus 3080 was listed at £679.99 when Gibbo made that post.

Their Twitter is a pretty angry place as well.
    Last edited by Digfox; 23-09-2020, 21:31.

Comment

OCUK, usually do a special one off cheaper launch price. I got my vega 64 like that on launch, I was in the first batch.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
        OCUK, usually do a special one off cheaper launch price. I got my vega 64 like that on launch, I was in the first batch.
        I remember the Vega launch and they sometimes do pre-order deals, but I don't think that's what happened here. You can see Gibbo's posts going through the challenges they faced and the official Nvidia response; https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forum...#post-33969056. There was no mention of any deals and it's obviously 'reactive' pricing on their part (maybe other etailers too) to the very limited supply/high demand.

I can well believe that retailers are pushing up prices, but it being due to demand rather than it being caused by a higher memory 3080.
        Agreed, I wasn't posting that it had to do with memory, but just merely they have raised all their 30 series prices. OCUK are great and I've been a customer with them since the late 1990's/Pentium 4 days. But they are opportunistic buggers too and very, very quick on pricing. I still remember the morning after the EU referendum result and Gibbo announcing their prices going up with immediate effect.
        Last edited by Digfox; 23-09-2020, 22:09.

Comment

I'm not sure whether I've ever ordered anything from OCUK or not, certainly nothing in recent years anyway. I find CCL pretty decent usually, outside of the RTX muck up anyway (and they use DPD which I like) and other PC bits have come from eBuyer, Aria, CeX and Ali Express for cheap unbranded Chinese goodness

Comment

I'm not sure whether I've ever ordered anything from OCUK or not, certainly nothing in recent years anyway. I find CCL pretty decent usually, outside of the RTX muck up anyway (and they use DPD which I like) and other PC bits have come from eBuyer, Aria, CeX and Ali Express for cheap unbranded Chinese goodness
            I have used them loads and still do. Used to use Dabs, then eBuyer and more recently Amazon (my 1080 came from them). Back in the day they were the only place to get the really good coolers for the Athlon XP! Also the free next-day/DPD shipping option for loyal forum members was a killer offer and another good reason to keep using them.

Comment

Not sure anyone was chomping at the bit to get a Vega 64.

Comment

They all sold out, I was very happy with mine, still am.

Comment

Especially on a cold winter's day

Comment

Especially on a cold winter's day
                    Morpheus II here.

Comment

Did anyone on here try to buy an RTX 3090 then? Whole load of those being scalped on eBay now.

Comment

As expected it sold out but demand seemed to be quieter too. It was always going to be more niche but I think the bad blood from the 3080 launch and the less than knock out benchmarks probably softened things for the 3090. Still expecting the 3070 launch to be a blood bath though.

Comment

Yea, I'd imagine the 3070 launch is going to be a bloodbath given the more 'mass' market friendly pricing. Although the cards are already £499 to £569 (on OCUK; excluding the ASUS ROG cards) and moving further away from the RRP of the Nvidia editions.

Comment

I still can't find the RRP of 3rd party cards listed anywhere - they're not on the manufacturer's websites. The RRP of the FE cards doesn't mean the RRP of the third party ones are the same, they generally are higher with the different cooler designs and OCs.

That said, I'm sure that, as with the 3080, some sites are going to be price gouging, because people will pay the asking prices and I'm not even bother going to try and get one (though mostly because I'm waiting for 3080s to be sensibly available).

I would like to know what the manufacturer RRPs are, just so we know for certain which sites are taking the mick.

Comment

Good question, and I don't think the OEMs list RRP/MSRP. That said given all OCUKs prices have gone up with no explanation and that they have done this multiple times before (during mining etc.). In my view it's 99.99% certain there is price gouging/taking advantage going on. They have even removed the prices from the list view on the 3070's and this is almost certainly in reaction to some of the bad press (https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comm...the_3090_again). And given there are also complaints about Scan, EBuyer I sure it isn't just OCUK.

OEMs used to have better overclocks, cooling solutions and warranties (although ATi/AMD were always NA only for their first party Radeon cards). But there has to be a good reason to spend £100, £200+ extra than Nvidia's RRP. Although that's moot if Nvidia does have any stock either.

Comment

NVIDIA are listing prices of some of the partner cards on their site now - it might be that it's just listing the price of the cheapest retailer though, not 100% sure.

NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - £649.00
                                GIGABYTE GEFORCE RTX 3080 EAGLE OC 10G - £649.99
                                ASUS TUF-RTX3080-10G-GAMING - £649.99
                                MSI GEFORCE RTX 3080 VENTUS 3X 10G OC - £649.99
                                PALIT GEFORCE RTX 3080 GAMINGPRO - £689.99
                                ASUS TUF-RTX3080-O10G-GAMING - £719.99
                                PALIT GEFORCE RTX 3080 GAMINGPRO OC - £728.99
                                MSI GEFORCE RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO 10G - £739.20
                                PNY GEFORCE RTX 3080 10GB XLR8 GAMING EPIC-X RGB TRIPLE FAN EDITION - £739.98
                                GIGABYTE GEFORCE RTX 3080 GAMING OC 10G - £749.99
                                MSI GEFORCE RTX 3080 GAMING TRIO 10G - £749.99
                                ZOTAC ZT-A30800D-10P GRAPHICS CARD - £750.00
                                ASUS ROG-STRIX-RTX3080-O10G-GAMING - £829.00
                                ASUS ROG-STRIX-RTX3080-10G-GAMING - £838.99

But it does show there's a big variation across the different retailers

best free image hosting sites
                                Last edited by MartyG; 25-09-2020, 17:02.

Comment

Working...
                                X