No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I originally had one set up to do vert shooters; was a 4:3 LCD thing which I'd sought up specifically as its stand could do the tilt and turn thing. These days it's a bit easier, as you can chuck anything with a VESA mount onto a monitor arm. Sadly it gets used more for work purposes than hot hot tate action though, so it's nice to try and address the work/play balance like this

Comment

Quantic Dream PC release dates announced:

24 June 2019 - Heavy Rain
      22 July 2019 - Beyond: Two Souls
      Summer 2019 - Detroit: Become Human

Comment

Pretty decent bundle up on Humble Bundle for tinyBuild games

Comment

Nvidia announced three more G-Sync Compatible monitors, bringing the total to 28. Also, Asus unveiled an exciting 240Hz monitor you can use on the go.

Nvidia announces new G-Sync screens

Here are the first details about Project Athena, including the full 2019 specification, Intel's unusual testing process and first device release date.

Intel showcases its new laptop tech

Intel is finally preparing to ship its first 10nm Ice Lake processors for laptops, which have big implications for laptop gaming and content creation.

And Intel showcases its 10th Gen Ice Lake CPUs

AMD has announced its latest processors and graphics cards to kick off Computex 2019, including the RX 5700 Navi GPU and three Ryzen 3000 CPUs.

As AMD reveals its Ryzen 3000 processor and new graphics cards

Comment

I really cannot get excited by Cpu launches now, recently went from a 4690k to a 8086k so new motherboard and ddr 4 ram. And i felt afterwards is that it ? gaming was not really much better and while rendering videos was faster I cannot help think if i had actually spent money on the processor i would have been really disappointed.

Also i still think that games have not really took advantage of the Cpus

Comment

That's why I allocated £130 for a Ryzen 5 2600 and £450 for a GeForce 2070 recently on my friend's £1000 PC build.

Comment

Xbox Game Pass is headed to PC, with support from top publishers like Bethesda, Sega, Devolver, Paradox and Deep Silver…

Microsoft has announced PC Game Pass. It's a similar service with similar perks but is not the same as the existing Xbox Game Pass. More details will be confirmed at E3

Comment

Tried out Quake 2 RTX, 1070 and a 8086k and 12gb and getting 100fps + on open gl when i try out RTX i get 13fps.

I am not tech minded at all but I really do not understand why lighting would hit the FPS to such a extreme level, I know ray tracing is supposed to be a resource hog but there is a part of me thinking....they can probably get something that looks just as good and a lot faster to and i suspect its a bit smoke and mirrors (no pun intended)

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                    I am not tech minded at all but I really do not understand why <snip>
                    I think I see correlation here!
                    I’m joshing with you

You’re basically right I think (assuming I understand this correctly). You can get something that looks *almost* as good by precalculating the lighting and baking it in beforehand. This is, I think, what devs currently do. What raytracing does is it allows them to ignore all that lighting setup and just position light sources in their virtual world e.g. the sun, lamps, fire, muzzle flare, a random flash bang going off etc. and just tell the graphic card to render that frame, as it would look in real life, given all the light sources currently in play. And any mirrors or other reflective surfaces. And partially reflective surfaces. And the light reflecting off of one surface, hitting another reflective surface and bouncing off that onto the character’s hair.

That’s why it needs ridiculous juice to work.

Comment

I'd be happy if, in an FPS, for example, I shoot a light out that the surrounding area went dark etc.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                        I'd be happy if, in an FPS, for example, I shoot a light out that the surrounding area went dark etc.
                        Perfect Dark had your back, back in 2000!

As for the chat above, CPU's development has bascially stalled while GPU development has soared. When I built my PC a month ago, I decided to come down from the current i9 and i7's I was looking at and went for a 6 core i7 7800X. It more than meets my needs and will be fine for the future too.

GPU tech has been the frontrunner for new PC focus for some time now.

Comment

Steam sale starts at 6pm! I hope Valve have some good deals after all the Epic fuss this year.

Comment

Originally posted by huxley View Post
                            Steam sale starts at 6pm! I hope Valve have some good deals after all the Epic fuss this year.
                            Looking forward to buying some cheap games I’ll never play.

Although some day in the future there might be a really good Steam handheld and I’ll have a fantastic library of games to play... if any of them still work at that point.

Comment

Just bought a game in the sale and noticed that the box to agree with terms and conditions is now Steam Subscriber conditions. Now maybe it has been this way for years and I just didn't notice but it's the first time I've spotted them call me a subscriber. Is this new? What am I subscribing to?

Comment

I think Steam users have been called subscribers for years now (possibly since they started selling games on the service).

I would imagine it's legal conditions to protect Valve.

Comment

Working...
                                X