No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should know more tomorrow as AMD launch, however, today is the turn of the RTX3070 for which the various reviews are now out

The TLDR is that the RTX3070 is pretty much on par with the RTX2080 Ti across the various resolutions with lower power consumption and around twice as fast as the GTX1070, so for the price it's a much better buy than the RTX2080 Ti (assuming you're able to buy one of these).

Now it's time for Team Red to step up.

Comment

AMD are showing off their new GPUs, and if their numbers are confirmed by independent reviews, the RX6800XT looks like an excellent card. Waiting for proper power, noise, and heat metrics though.

Comment

I'm still on the fence - will depend how the prices in the UK settle and availability. The RTX3070 launched and sold out today, well unless you're prepared to pay eBay scalper prices, which is where half of them turned up again.

It'll be the same for the AMD cards, the bots are going to buy them up - the only way that's not going to happen is if they have 100,000s of them and that seems unlikely.

It's good that it appears AMD have some competitive cards this time around though.

Comment

If they have the supply they could quite easily clean up for the rest of the year... Remains to be seen I suppose!

Comment

Some competition is always good, otherwise intel and nvidia will continue to just drip feed us for years. Been pleased with my all AMD machine

Comment

I was tempted by an AMD build next year, however, I think upgrading this 8700K any time within the next four years is going to be pretty futile. Especially as any game worth getting genuinely excited about can take a minimum of five years to develop, and I'm not seeing much on the horizon.

I'll wait until then for my next full build and monitor purchase. Probably on the AM6 chipset by that point.

Comment

The big unknown about the AMD cards is the raytracing performance. I know that many will say it's not a priority but the new consoles are pushing it and I expect more games to be in the mainstream with it.

NVidia's DLSS is really good at eeking out extra FPS with RTX on and off so it is a definite advantage as it stands.

Comment

Very interesting card lineup, especially the top end version. A few too many Q's surrounding them so far though. Last I read questions about the performance vs the 30XX series existed because performance benchmarks were said to only be favourable if the cards were run in conjunction with the correct series of AMD processors, the ray tracing question is a clear one as is their DLSS competitor which will need good adoption rates and also need to be great because DLSS2.1 is amaze.
                  On the flip side, these might actually be attainable

Comment

Prices are still way out of what i can afford tbh, was hoping for something decent performance but sub 300

Comment

What do you call decent performance?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                        What do you call decent performance?
                        ^^ This - an RTX 2060 Super will give you decent performance - hell, a 980 Ti will give you decent performance if you're doing 1080P gaming.

Comment

Halo 4 hits PC on 17 November

Comment

Big things are happening in developer Frontier's long-running space sim Elite Dangerous next year - big leg-related thi…

Elite Dangerous will be free on Epic Store next week

Comment

It's launch day of the AMD BigNavi cards today, namely the RX6800 and RX6800XT - but there still aren't any reviews, so at the moment it looks like you're going to have to buy blind if you want one, due to reportedly low stocks that the bots are going to buy up.

I don't get embargoing the reviews if the cards perform as well as AMD are claiming, which makes me think they aren't.

Comment

Was reading through OCUK forums last night. Still mostly a mass of anger at the recent botched Nvidia launches. Let alone the new cards that have no reviews, no pre-order information and no pricing.

I think it's just the way of the world now, whether it's a new game, new console or GPU. Companies just NDA the hell out of it and you're expected to drop loads of money knowing very little. Of course Covid-19 doesn't help but I don't think that explains away everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X