Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DigitalFoundry’s take on the 2080/Ti...

Comment

Actually with regards to YouTube videos I do think this smaller channel deserves a shout out for their coverage of the Nvidia 2080 cards. I came across the channel on the OCUK forums. AdoredTV made several predictions which were true based off a leak, has actually raised why Nvidia is pushing RTX, and why prices have massively increased. Not only that but also pointed out issues with some of the benchmark result which far larger Youtube channels have missed.

Latest video here:

Comment

Fighting layer Ex teased for steam

Comment

Good stuff, hopefully more sensibly priced than the PS4 version

Comment

Steam hardware survey reveals that only 1.33% of users play in 4K

Comment

Well, Intel just officially announced their new chips. There's the 9700K with 8 cores without HT, and their new i9-9900K which is 8 cores with HT.

These are dropping at £499 for the 9700K and £599 for the 9900K. I was wanting to bite on one of these but I'm less sure at these prices.

Comment

When you can pick up a 8 core 16 thread 1700X for under £200, I think I'd save the £400 and live with a very slightly lower IPC. It's not like the Intel chips are going to give you £400 worth more performance.

I really don't see much value for money here.

Comment

You know how there's this new trend about going back to the 1990's, and that era is about to be in vogue again. Well it feels like PC Gaming is going back to the '90's with these prices (when PC gaming was more expensive).

Anyway the OCUK forums are a rant fest atm. Yet another super expensive product launch. I hadn't realised but it sounds like Intel have also snuck in a new product tier (i7 9900K) for maximum profitability. I do remember not that long ago the mainstream 7700K being £300-330 at launch. Even the 8700K was £360.

Personally if I was building a desktop I would just go with a cheaper Ryzen. Probably a lot more fun to scale down and start looking at value rather than the high-end.

Gibbo at OCUK is warning that all CPU prices could be shooting up soon (short supply and ramifications of the new US trade tariffs), so probably best to buy parts now if you need them.

Comment

Intel keeping to their minimum effort maximum rodgering tactics once again.

Just go Ryzen.

Intel need a good slap round the face I think, they’ve been too used to their near monopoly on chips for too many years.
                    Last edited by fishbowlhead; 09-10-2018, 09:01.

Comment

Supposedly there are productions issues with the 9000 series so even US prices are high, although nothing as bad as the UK.

But I could imagine that if these prices are the new norm, then AMD may also increase it's prices as a result. When Vega 56/64 was launched against the Nvidia 1080 series last year, AMD had no interest in fighting on price and basically launched at the same prices.
                      Last edited by Digfox; 09-10-2018, 09:28.

Comment

Looks like I'm going Ryzen. Just put in an order for a Ryzen 5 2600 and a MSI B450 Tomahawk, have RAM that I bought a few weeks back thinking Coffee Lake Refresh would be more competitively priced. Should keep me occupied the rest of the week with tinkering lol
                        Last edited by speedlolita; 09-10-2018, 13:39.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                          Looks like I'm going Ryzen. Just put in an order for a Ryzen 5 2600 and a MSI B450 Tomahawk, have RAM that I bought a few weeks back thinking Coffee Lake Refresh would be more competitively priced. Should keep me occupied the rest of the week with tinkering lol
                          Wow, never thought I’d see this day!

Comment

I know, right? Intel just seem better in every regard but definitely agree with what MartyG and fishbowlhead are saying. Just isn't worth it. They're double what a 8600K/8700K was.

Probably just going to put my existing 2700K/Z68/16GB DDR3 in the Tomahawk box, sure I can find a use for it down the line.

Comment

I wouldn’t swap my threadripper for any intel

Comment

I was really lucky and won the sweepstakes for the 8086k 6 core processor, so saving up some money as need a motherboard, ddr4 memory, Heat sink and fan....and probably a new power supply. The swap for the threadripper AMD were offering is long gone, and I know if i sold the 8086k i could probably use that money and get a complete AMD Ryzen system but seems the 8086k would be the best CPU i will own for a long time,

Comment

Working...
                                X