No announcement yet.

Alien Isolation review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Alien Isolation that plays like Tacoma and I would probably actually play it longer than a couple of hours, environments and sound design are both absolutely incredible, an Xbox One X/Pro 4K patch would be insane but understand why it hasn’t and didn’t happen.

People complained about Soma to the point where the devs patched in a safe mode (after someone nodded it) I totally believe most horror games should have a safe mode even though it’s a genre I absolutely love, sometimes putting a barrier of an enemy to avoid, combat or death coupled with restarts just slows you down from all of the possible great environments and story you are yet to experience.

I really don’t know why I struggle with this game so much it ticks every box of a genre I love AND it’s in the alien storyverse.

Anyways I suppose what I’m trying to say is play Soma and Tacoma oh and Prey.

Comment

I haven't played Soma or Prey but I did play Tacoma and, yeah, I enjoyed it and yes I can definitely see what you're getting at here. I think I probably somewhat misinterpreted what this game was before I bought it too. I knew that it was hard and could be frustrating but everyone talked about the Alien and how it could pop out from nowhere. Nobody mentioned other enemies. So when my challenge turned out to be an army of robots, something which really doesn't come from the Alien films at all, I think I felt the concept fell through somewhat - totally my own preconceptions, I know.

Me on a ship with a crew to interact with and a single Alien hiding out somewhere picking us off, that's probably the game I wanted. But going in wanting one thing is the wrong way to approach a game so I'm not going to call that any kind of fault in the game itself.

Comment

Started playing this in VR the other day. It's pretty damn good. I already finished it once before and remember thinking that it felt just like the movies, but in VR it's something else. It's just a mod, but it does play really naturally in VR. You look at things to pick up / activate and you aim with your face like in Resident Evil 7, so my shots have been on point lol. It's weird looking down and seeing Amandas body and her arms are awefully skinny. The Xenomorph is messed up. I forgot how long it's tail is, and how it likes to drag it around over desks and stuff. Really makes you aware of how close it gets sometimes. The fear of getting caught is worse than actually getting caught though! From the front the Alien likes to come in for a nice kiss before sticking its tongue mouth thing into your face, but the coolest death in VR is the one where it gets you from behind. You get stabbed and it comes out of your chest and you can look down at the damage, it's amazing. No checkpoints in this game though, dying means going back to a hard save, forgot about that. I've stuck it on easy mode so I just get through it, playing in VR is a stress on the body even without the Alien looking to snog my face off.

Comment

Everything about that sounds awesome. And pant filling.

Comment

Just started playing this. The first 30 minutes are excellent. Looking forward to some more time on it once the kids have gone back to their mum's.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
              Just started playing this. The first 30 minutes are excellent. Looking forward to some more time on it once the kids have gone back to their mum's.
              It is really good keep at it. Very tense but satisfying to play, if slightly to long. I am debating getting Switch version at some point too as has all DLC included and grapics improved a bit.

Comment

Working...
              X